[MOD] (Alpha 8) IceSheet (Ice Biome, Now with water world!)(1.2a)

Started by iame6162013, December 10, 2014, 02:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ded1

So i finally got access to rimworld again and i cant land on icesheets using this mod.  I try and just get told i cant.  Fresh download of the mod and everything.

Edit:  It turns out it was a load order issue.  Apparently a mod i had conflicted, but its working now, i just moved it to the end.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

iame6162013

Quote from: Ded1 on December 17, 2014, 08:31:39 AM
So i finally got access to rimworld again and i cant land on icesheets using this mod.  I try and just get told i cant.  Fresh download of the mod and everything.

Edit:  It turns out it was a load order issue.  Apparently a mod i had conflicted, but its working now, i just moved it to the end.
Ah, ok so it works again?
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Ded1

yep working fine now.  And man, i just had an omg moment.  A group of travelers was visiting my colony, by the time they got 3/4 of the way half were dead from hypothermia and the last one dropped a few seconds later.  And this was at -80F, the spot i chose goes down to -136 (lowest i have noticed).  That made my day seeing as 3/4 of the year "friendly" (more like food stealing) visitors cant even reach my door alive.  Even better is when an enemy assault happens (norbals mod) and they all die before they are even within weapons range.  I have probably close to 100 corpses sitting out there and i am only half way through winter.
Feel Good Modpack

iame6162013

Quote from: Ded1 on December 17, 2014, 10:28:26 AM
yep working fine now.  And man, i just had an omg moment.  A group of travelers was visiting my colony, by the time they got 3/4 of the way half were dead from hypothermia and the last one dropped a few seconds later.  And this was at -80F, the spot i chose goes down to -136 (lowest i have noticed).  That made my day seeing as 3/4 of the year "friendly" (more like food stealing) visitors cant even reach my door alive.  Even better is when an enemy assault happens (norbals mod) and they all die before they are even within weapons range.  I have probably close to 100 corpses sitting out there and i am only half way through winter.
i know!
it's awesome,
because i don't like that the game is balanced cause of raiders :/
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Ded1

Guess i should make my colony a starter of cannibals then huh.  I didnt cause i have the Soylent Green thing but i dont have to worry about making it into that if they are cannibals.
Feel Good Modpack

SimpleBear01

Would love to try this as soon as I get home, seems fun.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: iame6162013 on December 17, 2014, 06:05:18 AM
Hmmm, One question i haven't played with it yet but could i use the thing you made and put it in the mod?
(with credit of course!)
Definitely. That's why I made it. :)
Here's a better version where the wolves spawn psychotic, so they'll immediately try to attack the colonists: Wolfsies Incident

EDIT: And here's what will probably be the final version. Comes with proper wolf textures (taken with permission from Project K9) and a more reasonable set of stats for the wolfsies: Wolfsies With Textures

[attachment deleted due to age]
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

ITOS

Quote from: ItchyFlea on December 17, 2014, 01:39:27 PM
Hmmm, One question i haven't played with it yet but could i use the thing you made and put it in the mod?
(with credit of course!)
Here's a better version where the wolves spawn psychotic, so they'll immediately try to attack the colonists: Wolfsies Incident
I recall some old mods that added dogs. It might be worth trying to contact the creators of them and ask if you can use their textures.

Here is one: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3593.0

Larsson North

I really like the mod, but I'd like so see some animals here. Or atleast a option to add animals.

With this im refering to the animals that live in a area like this. Moose can live in this climate due to their pelt keeping them warm and they scavange for moss underneath the snow. If you were to add some moose/mufflo (Snoffalo/Coldoffalo?) that would be quite sweet. If the problem is that theres no food source, i think it should be able to modify the animals codeto allow it to eat snow?

What you think? :)

ITOS

Quote from: Larsson North on December 17, 2014, 02:54:38 PM
I really like the mod, but I'd like so see some animals here. Or atleast a option to add animals.

With this im refering to the animals that live in a area like this. Moose can live in this climate due to their pelt keeping them warm and they scavange for moss underneath the snow. If you were to add some moose/mufflo (Snoffalo/Coldoffalo?) that would be quite sweet. If the problem is that theres no food source, i think it should be able to modify the animals codeto allow it to eat snow?

What you think? :)

Personally, I think that instead of trying to make animals that can survive on the map, one should go the way of ItchyFlea and add events where animals pass through, much like other factions pass by your colony from time to time.

This would reflect the larger areas that animals living in these types of environments has to travel in search for food. It might also be interesting that you quickly have to get to the animals before they leave the map. What would be really neat is if such events could be restricted to a certain month. That way you would have to hunt and stock up enough meat to last the rest of the year.

Of course, not having a lot of animals on the map is a part of the challenge. So for me it's not a big thing if no-one makes such a mod. :)

InfiniteRemnant

You know, you could probably create a new stone type, name it "glacial ice", and script it, and things made from it, to degrade when heated. then edit the world gen so that 80% of the stone in this biome is that stuff no matter what. might be fun to watch players panic trying to keep their shack from melting cause the space heater was up too high.

iame6162013

Quote from: InfiniteRemnant on December 17, 2014, 11:26:33 PM
You know, you could probably create a new stone type, name it "glacial ice", and script it, and things made from it, to degrade when heated. then edit the world gen so that 80% of the stone in this biome is that stuff no matter what. might be fun to watch players panic trying to keep their shack from melting cause the space heater was up too high.
i'm not sure this is possible.

Quote from: ItchyFlea on December 17, 2014, 01:39:27 PM
(with credit of course!)

EDIT: And here's what will probably be the final version. Comes with proper wolf textures (taken with permission from Project K9) and a more reasonable set of stats for the wolfsies: Wolfsies With Textures
ok, let's try this thing out!
(just testing it works, and then i'll upload it) :D

and to all the other guys(or girls or others ;) ) Thank you for liking this mod :D

Vas

I've created some files to add to your mod, however, they may not work right till the game allows you to take control of the map generator.  I can't figure out how to get Items_Resources.xml to accept the color change in it's atlas though, it refuses to turn white.

You might tweak it just a bit, if you want the things to be slightly different colors, however, in an ice land like that, I figured the rocks are better as ice instead of normal rocks, doesn't make sense really.

Also, you need to make the entire ground white, solid white.  I tried to make a new floor for it using existing files, but I can't find it.  I was going to call the ground "Permafrost", a no growing zone, and it would be everywhere, all white, no plants of any kind whatsoever.

As soon as Tynan makes it possible to edit the map generator once again, you can make the walls around the map "ice" instead of "rock" and ore would be found inside the ice perhaps, who knows.  I also can't find the file to edit to change the fog color above mountains for areas you haven't dug close enough to yet.

[attachment deleted due to age]
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

iame6162013

Quote from: Vas on December 18, 2014, 05:55:04 AM
Also, you need to make the entire ground white, solid white.  I tried to make a new floor for it using existing files, but I can't find it.  I was going to call the ground "Permafrost", a no growing zone, and it would be everywhere, all white, no plants of any kind whatsoever.
I already have i think, but i called it "Ice"

As soon as Tynan makes it possible to edit the map generator once again, you can make the walls around the map "ice" instead of "rock" and ore would be found inside the ice perhaps, who knows.  I also can't find the file to edit to change the fog color above mountains for areas you haven't dug close enough to yet.
That's my plan ;)

I've created some files to add to your mod, however, they may not work right till the game allows you to take control of the map generator.

Jesus you guys are awesome!

I can't figure out how to get Items_Resources.xml to accept the color change in it's atlas though, it refuses to turn white.
hmmm, i would also not know how to do that.

Vas

guys? :P  I'm one person.  xP
I originally wanted to create the ice boime myself but you got there first, so I just gave you some files to enhance it some.  Later on when the map gen editing becomes possible, you can rename rocks and ore types to have Ice in the name and make that biome's gen reflect that.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.