[MOD] (Alpha 8) IceSheet (Ice Biome, Now with water world!)(1.2a)

Started by iame6162013, December 10, 2014, 02:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iame6162013

Quote from: Vas on December 18, 2014, 07:58:36 AM
guys? :P  I'm one person.  xP
I originally wanted to create the ice boime myself but you got there first, so I just gave you some files to enhance it some.  Later on when the map gen editing becomes possible, you can rename rocks and ore types to have Ice in the name and make that biome's gen reflect that.
i know, it was just a bit complicated.... maybe i should sleep more... Blame tynan for making rimworld!
Yes! I was first Woot!
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

john pretzel

Awesome mod. It's the biodome I've been having more fun to play in.

Ded1

So word of warning to anyone using this,  If you chose one of the ridiculously cold parts (i have found ones that go down to -140F).  Solar Flares are lethal without a good supply of lumber.  Over the course of the day the temp dropped below zero from 80F.  Always try and keep at least 200 lumber for fires on hand.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

Igabod

Quote from: Ded1 on December 18, 2014, 07:28:11 PM
So word of warning to anyone using this,  If you chose one of the ridiculously cold parts (i have found ones that go down to -140F).  Solar Flares are lethal without a good supply of lumber.  Over the course of the day the temp dropped below zero from 80F.  Always try and keep at least 200 lumber for fires on hand.

excellent advice! I usually try to utilize the steam geysers as a backup heating system though. Just make sure the area they are enclosed within is big enough that it doesn't get up to 200F.

john pretzel

Quote from: Ded1 on December 18, 2014, 07:28:11 PM

It's really hardcore, yes... lots of tries and fails in this one, but also rewarding to see sieges fail due to frostbite  ;D

Ded1

Man i had so many corpses built up from the winter months that my 15x15 stockpile for them exclusivly was full before even half had been gathered.  It really does get broken in the really cold parts.  That and your colonists cant go more than 20 spaces outside before hypothermia starts getting bad so you pretty much are holed up in your home for 2/3 of the year.
Feel Good Modpack

Vas

Ded1, that's kinda the point.  It's the harshest land you can experience.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

mrofa

Well its one of thous biomes where you meet raiders wielding molotov with open hands :D
All i do is clutter all around.

iame6162013

Quote from: mrofa on December 19, 2014, 05:40:48 AM
Well its one of thous biomes where you meet raiders wielding molotov with open hands :D
This.... is awesome! and true :D

but I've never heated my base with them... i'm gonna try them out xD
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Vas

One can only hope that a system where each block on the map calculates heat separately comes into play soon enough.  That'll make camp fires and such useful outside.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Ded1

Quote from: Vas on December 19, 2014, 05:23:32 AM

Yeah i know, i think its kinda funny though how people still try and visit you (or raid you) when they die before they can even get close.  And with the sitting in your home for 2/3 of the year, just make sure you keep your guys really happy to offset the cabin fever penalty.
Feel Good Modpack

iame6162013

Quote from: Ded1 on December 19, 2014, 10:39:11 AM
Quote from: Vas on December 19, 2014, 05:23:32 AM

Yeah i know, i think its kinda funny though how people still try and visit you (or raid you) when they die before they can even get close.  And with the sitting in your home for 2/3 of the year, just make sure you keep your guys really happy to offset the cabin fever penalty.

you can force them out even if it's only for a second, it removes the message
and your colonists will be happy again ;)

Ded1

I tried that and it didn't work.  I even kept them out till they were hypothermic (serious) and still no effect on it.  I think that it only goes away if they go out on their own and not under your control.
Feel Good Modpack

iame6162013

Quote from: Ded1 on December 19, 2014, 10:51:18 AM
I tried that and it didn't work.  I even kept them out till they were hypothermic (serious) and still no effect on it.  I think that it only goes away if they go out on their own and not under your control.
weird... never had that happen.

Mikhail Reign

Yeah same. I just run my guys out to the front door so they can all go 'Oh yeah, this is why we dont go outside - its below 100' and then immediatly run them back inside. Never had to have them stand outside for more then a second to make the 'cabin fever' go away.

Also,

Seed: 0bac
Size: 250, 188
Cords: 52, 184

has a very nice map for the ice sheets. Drops below -100 in the winter and has a very cool starting location