[MOD] (Alpha 8) IceSheet (Ice Biome, Now with water world!)(1.2a)

Started by iame6162013, December 10, 2014, 02:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iame6162013

Quote from: Vas on December 21, 2014, 03:24:13 AM
Did you ever add in the files I gave? :P  Or did you plan to wait till you can edit the terrain generator?
Yes, I'll wait till i can edit the terrain generator.

Quote from: Everteal on December 21, 2014, 03:58:45 AM
Hi there, amazing mod.

Sooooo..... I found this...
Seed - utf8
Size - 400x300
There are a bunch of spots with around -95C.

-snip-

And found a bug. It happens when you start the game on this particular super cold spot(above) on December, yet June is fine.

-snip-

This is with no other mods running and the log shows nothing. I can't build or do anything apart from draft pawns. Any ideas?

Wait what?
I wanna play around with that!
Find the bug!
even though i probably can't fix it :/

Quote from: Ded1 on December 21, 2014, 03:38:49 AM
So if you get the hide and parka nerf mod, raiders will not always spawn with parkas and quite frequently die on the way.  Though it does kinda suck to have people get pissed at you cause thier traders are stupid enough to try and visit me when its -140 out.

Well why nerf parka's that way?
if it's minus 90C you're gonna die without one.
(raiders die with parka's if you're on a large map ;) )
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Everteal

About the bug.
Occasionally the overview log hows correctly yet the pawns still refuse to build anything... mining seemed to work tho.

Oh and it got to -117C (-178F) and this happened :D

P.s. Why do we have female/male centipedes? Will we be able to breed them by having an artist with laptop play dubstep in the near future?

Ded1

Coldest i have found is around -140F and i have seen centipedes that i disable die from hypothermia,  but intact ones i havent seen it on (mostly cause i kill or disable them really quick).  What seed did you find that -178f on?  I want to try it lol.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

Everteal

Quote from: Ded1 on December 21, 2014, 04:51:47 AM
Coldest i have found is around -140F and i have seen centipedes that i disable die from hypothermia,  but intact ones i havent seen it on (mostly cause i kill or disable them really quick).  What seed did you find that -178f on?  I want to try it lol.
I posted the seed on page 6 with snaps.

Quote from: Everteal on December 21, 2014, 03:58:45 AM
Sooooo..... I found this...
Seed - utf8
Size - 400x300

iame6162013

Quote from: Everteal on December 21, 2014, 04:36:43 AM
About the bug.
Occasionally the overview log hows correctly yet the pawns still refuse to build anything... mining seemed to work tho.

Oh and it got to -117C (-178F) and this happened :D

-snip-

P.s. Why do we have female/male centipedes? Will we be able to breed them by having an artist with laptop play dubstep in the near future?

ok, that's good

and Why we have male and female centipedes?
For viruses  of course!
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Kilderon

Have no evidence except anecdotal for this, but:

I think Pawns have been coded to behave in a certain way when they get very cold. In my recent extreme cold runs, I've noticed that pawns which get really cold immediately try to path to a warmer area to prevent hypothermia. They will often become unresponsive then, refusing to work, eat, or even sleep until they have warmed up sufficiently. If I can't get a room up and warm quick enough, or I somehow allow the cold to get in (Damn you Solar Flares!) they will sort of just freeze in place, presumably continuously trying to find a path to somewhere warmer. Or so I theorize.

To test my theory, you could try Edb's Prepare Carefully mod and start them with Parkas and Toques, maybe give them all warm body traits. I'm fairly certain how quickly they get cold is based off the difference between their maximum temperature tolerance and the environment. If it prevents the bug by delaying the cold shock "MUST GET SOMEWHERE WARM" code... well then there's code that's causing it. To be fair, playing in temperatures this extreme had to be modded in, so it would have been outside of Tynan's bug test ranges.

From the image posted, it looks like three naked colonists were just dropped into a -94C area, which meant they would have immediately gone hypothermic, quite possibly instantly getting locked up in a "Must find a warm area" loop. Since that code overrides other activities, like causing them to cancel hauling orders and just dump stuff onto the ground to get warm... maybe it's even overriding the code which has them register onto the overview menu?

Again, Just a theory with no evidence but my personal observations on how my pawns will sometimes lock up during my cold runs until they warm up a bit. Honestly you could almost call this a feature, -94C Naked is basically instant death, the shock would probably kill you as soon as the capsule opened. You only have a handful of minutes at even half that temperature. The pawns have literally gone into shock, advanced human physiology modelling!

The work around, if you don't want to start with them coming out of stasis in full winter gear, would probably be to only start such extreme areas in warmer months and play into the winter... which I might just go do with that seed of yours.

So if you get the hide and parka nerf mod, raiders will not always spawn with parkas and quite frequently die on the way.  Though it does kinda suck to have people get pissed at you cause thier traders are stupid enough to try and visit me when its -140 out.

I actually went into the Miscellaneous Mod's Def files and pulled the Trader_Incident_TraderArrival.xml into the _disabled folder for my cold runs. It made no sense to me for anyone to be travelling in those temperatures to trade out of a tent.

iame6162013

Quote from: Kilderon on December 21, 2014, 06:05:19 AM
Have no evidence except anecdotal for this, but:

I think Pawns have been coded to behave in a certain way when they get very cold. In my recent extreme cold runs, I've noticed that pawns which get really cold immediately try to path to a warmer area to prevent hypothermia. They will often become unresponsive then, refusing to work, eat, or even sleep until they have warmed up sufficiently. If I can't get a room up and warm quick enough, or I somehow allow the cold to get in (Damn you Solar Flares!) they will sort of just freeze in place, presumably continuously trying to find a path to somewhere warmer. Or so I theorize.

To test my theory, you could try Edb's Prepare Carefully mod and start them with Parkas and Toques, maybe give them all warm body traits. I'm fairly certain how quickly they get cold is based off the difference between their maximum temperature tolerance and the environment. If it prevents the bug by delaying the cold shock "MUST GET SOMEWHERE WARM" code... well then there's code that's causing it. To be fair, playing in temperatures this extreme had to be modded in, so it would have been outside of Tynan's bug test ranges.

From the image posted, it looks like three naked colonists were just dropped into a -94C area, which meant they would have immediately gone hypothermic, quite possibly instantly getting locked up in a "Must find a warm area" loop. Since that code overrides other activities, like causing them to cancel hauling orders and just dump stuff onto the ground to get warm... maybe it's even overriding the code which has them register onto the overview menu?

Again, Just a theory with no evidence but my personal observations on how my pawns will sometimes lock up during my cold runs until they warm up a bit. Honestly you could almost call this a feature, -94C Naked is basically instant death, the shock would probably kill you as soon as the capsule opened. You only have a handful of minutes at even half that temperature. The pawns have literally gone into shock, advanced human physiology modelling!

The work around, if you don't want to start with them coming out of stasis in full winter gear, would probably be to only start such extreme areas in warmer months and play into the winter... which I might just go do with that seed of yours.

I actually went into the Miscellaneous Mod's Def files and pulled the Trader_Incident_TraderArrival.xml into the _disabled folder for my cold runs. It made no sense to me for anyone to be travelling in those temperatures to trade out of a tent.

Gotta say, "Mods where bugs become features!"
just gotta make a message say "in shock" or something to call it a new feature :)

and yea traders in a tent there sounds stupid.

Everteal

So i just tried to start again(it was -99C outside this time) and again they refused to build and haul stuff.
I entered god mode and made them a nice and warm place of +24C.
They moved to the warm spot only after hypothermia became serious, warmed up but still refused to build anything.

Kilderon

Yeah it does seem kinda buggy at times, I've had to give priority orders, draft and undraft, or just save and reload to get some of my pawns moving again. I wonder if there's a wait timer on the "warm up" code or something, it sometimes takes them a good while to realize "Hey I'm warm, I'll work again."

If they refused to work from the onset though, I wonder if there is some sort of "Code shock" going on where the code for the pawn gets stuck or something, maybe by not initially loading into your overview menu or something like that behind the scenes, the pawn is permanently broken. Just like how sometimes visitors will just linger in your base and never leave. They were shocked out of their programmed routine, and just... broke permanently.

It's definitely a bug, but it's probably in the core code, don't know if you could fix something like that with mods...

iame6162013

Quote from: Everteal on December 21, 2014, 09:40:37 AM
So i just tried to start again(it was -99C outside this time) and again they refused to build and haul stuff.
I entered god mode and made them a nice and warm place of +24C.
They moved to the warm spot only after hypothermia became serious, warmed up but still refused to build anything.
Quote from: Kilderon on December 21, 2014, 09:53:36 AM
Yeah it does seem kinda buggy at times, I've had to give priority orders, draft and undraft, or just save and reload to get some of my pawns moving again. I wonder if there's a wait timer on the "warm up" code or something, it sometimes takes them a good while to realize "Hey I'm warm, I'll work again."

If they refused to work from the onset though, I wonder if there is some sort of "Code shock" going on where the code for the pawn gets stuck or something, maybe by not initially loading into your overview menu or something like that behind the scenes, the pawn is permanently broken. Just like how sometimes visitors will just linger in your base and never leave. They were shocked out of their programmed routine, and just... broke permanently.

It's definitely a bug, but it's probably in the core code, don't know if you could fix something like that with mods...

I'm not sure i have access to fix that :/

john pretzel

Edb's mod Prepare carefully is essential in this environment.

iame6162013

Quote from: john pretzel on December 21, 2014, 04:15:23 PM
Edb's mod Prepare carefully is essential in this environment.
no it's not, but it's nice.

Rhadamant

Quote from: iame6162013 on December 21, 2014, 04:07:53 AM

I survived without ever putting on a parka or tuque. Parkas will be somewhat nerfed next patch with a hit to productivity when you wear one.

iame6162013

Quote from: Rhadamant on December 22, 2014, 07:51:04 AM
Quote from: iame6162013 on December 21, 2014, 04:07:53 AM

I survived without ever putting on a parka or tuque. Parkas will be somewhat nerfed next patch with a hit to productivity when you wear one.

good!

mrofa

Is it possible to add animal spawn to this biome ?
All i do is clutter all around.