[MOD] (Alpha 8) IceSheet (Ice Biome, Now with water world!)(1.2a)

Started by iame6162013, December 10, 2014, 02:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ded1

yeah i found out you survive a little easier through solar flares if you keep the temp at 90F or 32C.  your colonists will take it just fine and you tend to not freeze as bad in a flare.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

Igabod

Quote from: BajtMe on December 31, 2014, 11:55:12 AM
Thank you. Perhaps if i just make it through this first winter without solar flares so i can go outside and actually build something, my colonists may not have to die a cold icy death after all.  :)

Surviving the cold is actually not that difficult. The first raiders usually have a parka on and depending on your difficulty level you can usually equip all 3 starting colonists with parkas rather quickly. Very low difficulty settings of course will be more difficult because of this (ironically) because they only send 1 raider for the first raid usually. Very Challenging difficulty sends at least 3 on all of my games so far for the first raid.

Ded1

However even with parkas when the temp outside reaches -120f or lower it is lethal within a min even with parkas.  So around half the year you end up sealed inside your base.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

iame6162013

Quote from: Ded1 on December 31, 2014, 01:39:07 PM
However even with parkas when the temp outside reaches -120f or lower it is lethal within a min even with parkas.  So around half the year you end up sealed inside your base.
you can go out for a few seconds though :p
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

hyprformnce

one thing you can do is line the outer rim of your building with one block-wide wall of empty space and stone. that way, the cold has to penetrate through another layer before reaching the rooms where your colonists are during solar flares.

the downsides include extra building material, extra space used, and an extra door colonists have to go through in order to reach the outside

iame6162013

Quote from: hyprformnce on December 31, 2014, 02:03:51 PM
one thing you can do is line the outer rim of your building with one block-wide wall of empty space and stone. that way, the cold has to penetrate through another layer before reaching the rooms where your colonists are during solar flares.

the downsides include extra building material, extra space used, and an extra door colonists have to go through in order to reach the outside
But doesn't heat only go through doors?
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

john pretzel

Double wall it's a good principle. Like a real construction.

Igabod

Heat only goes through doors, so all you really need is an airlock system. build an extra entry hall into your base with a gap large enough to hold one turret on each side of the door.

iame6162013

But for those who want extra realism, we can believe it does!

InfiniteRemnant

The double wall also presents a tactical advantage: an errant grenade punching a hole in your outer wall won't doom everyone to an icy demise.

iame6162013

Quote from: InfiniteRemnant on January 02, 2015, 02:53:27 PM
The double wall also presents a tactical advantage: an errant grenade punching a hole in your outer wall won't doom everyone to an icy demise.
you got a point there, cause in winter if your wall gets breached, It can happan that you must say goodbye to the colonists(I speak from experience :D)

Hargut

It was a awesome, different playstyle.

But even when the begin was really hard, it was really after a few hours, when the base it set up.

All my enemies, exept like 3-4 are diening (i play on hardcore) on the way to my base.
Just the neribals (or what ever this mod was called :D) survive it 80%.
I play on a map where it hits 100C- and in summer -60.
In summer more people arrive, in winter NOTHING arrives me, no traders, no people visiting, no enemys, even the mechas are dieing >D
The worst moment was, when a KI was landing in the middle of Winter.
It was horrible. I thought iam going to die, but i send one guy out there, shoot the KI, mechas coming out, freez to death, and nxt day i went there and shoot it down >D, even when some of my peps lost a finger or a toe due to the winter, but ye, happens >D

john pretzel

What's the mechs negative tolerance limit? I have never seen them getting hypothermia  :o

Hargut

-75 C

and it take long till they freez, but on above 100C, ye well, mb 5 minutes.

iame6162013

Quote from: john pretzel on January 11, 2015, 01:54:17 PM
What's the mechs negative tolerance limit? I have never seen them getting hypothermia  :o
I think it was ~80

Quote from: Hargut on January 11, 2015, 01:27:11 PM
It was a awesome, different playstyle.

But even when the begin was really hard, it was really after a few hours, when the base it set up.

All my enemies, exept like 3-4 are diening (i play on hardcore) on the way to my base.
Just the neribals (or what ever this mod was called :D) survive it 80%.
I play on a map where it hits 100C- and in summer -60.
In summer more people arrive, in winter NOTHING arrives me, no traders, no people visiting, no enemys, even the mechas are dieing >D
The worst moment was, when a KI was landing in the middle of Winter.
It was horrible. I thought iam going to die, but i send one guy out there, shoot the KI, mechas coming out, freez to death, and nxt day i went there and shoot it down >D, even when some of my peps lost a finger or a toe due to the winter, but ye, happens >D
Oh god, those pore colonists!