Call to all: The RimWorld wiki needs YOU !

Started by British, September 27, 2013, 06:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

British

rimworld.wikia.com

Hello everybody,

Don't worry, I know there's a thread about the wiki already, but I would like the wiki populated as much as possible before the Kickstarter... well, starts.

In that regard:
If you are a tester

• You have some time and are motivated
    Get as much data on the game as possible:
    • For every tile, write down (or take a screenshot of) the specifics of that tile: does it conduct power, what's the movement speed allowed, its HP... every information the game provides
    • Take screenshots of the UI, every possible window, from the main menu, to creating the crew, to... game over
    • Upload/write those data on the wiki: don't bother making it look good if you are not familiar with wikis
  • You don't have much time or are not that much motivated
    • As above, take screenshots of everything you can and upload them to the wiki, I'll take care of the rest
If you have graphical skills

The RimWorld wiki, as of now, is seriously lacking a graphical identity.
  • You are welcome to create a new theme (on this page, and there's also some help here), but please don't modify the default theme
  • You can also propose bits of graphics, styles, or ideas in this very thread
IMPORTANT: If you make any addition/modification to the wiki

Please always write an explanation of your modification(s) in the Edit Summary field, even if it's a couple words (if you are a tester: please add the build version)
It makes it easier to find out what's going on on the wiki at a glance.

In any case, thank you for your time !

Yarkista

enystrom8734

I will try my best to get some information for you. I think most of the basics are there, but it won't hurt comb through some more.
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

British

That would really be helpful !

There's actually a lot missing, and I tried to list most of them in the OP: the UI, for instance, is non-existent in the wiki.

Tynan

Wow, thanks for doing this. Helps greatly!

I've linked the wiki on the main ludeon page and will probably link it from the Kickstarter page as well.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

British

Hypolite wrote like 99% (cheers !) of what's on the wiki, but from my outside-ish perspective, that covers maybe a third of the useful data the game has to "offer".
But he can only do so much, so that's why I'm begging for help.

Truth be told Tynan, if I wasn't restraining myself, I'd be bugging you over everything your game does, and why, and how... with much details !
But you have other fishes to fry these days, so I'm asking the testers, blessed be the soil they tread upon ::)

Edit: BTW Tynan, did you come up with a new favicon for RimWorld ?
I used the one from Ludeon on the wiki, but that doesn't feel right...

Tynan

Closest I could come for a favicon would be the icon on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/rimworld

I've an artist looking at making a RimWorld title logo so it may change. It's just the planet-O isolated and colored atm.

British

Hmmm, I have no idea what their policy on borrowed graphics might be, so let's stay that way....

Tynan

Well, it's my icon; I made it, so no borrowing.

Attached in large format.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

British

Ah ok, I thought you were talking about IndieDB's one :o

British

I'm off for the week-end (well, about 24 hours), but here's a few things that would be nice to get done:
  • Get rid of "Latest Activity" in the wiki home page
  • Create a page for screenshots, with a link and maybe excerpt on the home page
    • Get the screenshots from IndieDB
    • Get the screenshots in the forum here
  • Create a page for videos, and then again, excerpts and/or links on home page
    • Embed videos found in the world at large (or you can start with those on Reddit)
  • The home page could also probably use a collection of URLs pertaining to RimWorld (IndieDB, Reddit, DF forums...)
Cheers !

Yarkista

Quote from: British on September 28, 2013, 11:01:32 AM
I'm off for the week-end (well, about 24 hours), but here's a few things that would be nice to get done:
  • Get rid of "Latest Activity" in the wiki home page
  • Create a page for screenshots, with a link and maybe excerpt on the home page
    • Get the screenshots from IndieDB
    • Get the screenshots in the forum here
  • Create a page for videos, and then again, excerpts and/or links on home page
    • Embed videos found in the world at large (or you can start with those on Reddit)
  • The home page could also probably use a collection of URLs pertaining to RimWorld (IndieDB, Reddit, DF forums...)
Cheers !

I'll try and get it done next time I'm on my computer.

British

I'm bumping this so the new people can see it.

While the KS campaign won't bring many testers prior to november (at which point I'll be able to manage the data by myself), the "position" for someone(s) with graphical know-how (and the skills that hopefully go along) is still open.

We also could use someone that is *very* familiar with Wikia, since I can't make head or toes of some concepts, as it can be seen by visiting the wiki.

Ferigad

Hope you don´t mind, just added some of the missing links in your wikia as far as i spotted them. Wish i could help with graphics, but i´m a poor designer ;) In any case, nice to have it. Bust just out of intresst, is it intentional that the main categorys are still buried in the wiki itself? I mean a nice opening with things like "Gameconcepts, Structures, Buildings" etc... would give a visitor a better overview.

British

Thanks for the edits.

I know there's some mess and I can't wrap my head around the categories and their proper rendering for now.
So if you feel like doing it, please do.

In any case, please put a comment on your edits, it helps a lot getting things tidy-er.