How cold to keep food from spoiling?

Started by DaNewb, December 10, 2014, 08:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaNewb

A simple question really, does anyone know what the threshold is for food spoiling? What temperature must i keep to make sure my food doesn't go bad?  And does it completely stop spoiling or just greatly slow it?  I may have to revisit my previous practice of massive food hoarding.

Innese

I know it freezes if you have a cooling unit set to keep the room at 0 degrees F, no clue about C or K.

And it completely stops the food (Meals, raw, and corpses) from spoiling when frozen

DaNewb

Quote from: Innese on December 10, 2014, 08:13:15 PM
I know it freezes if you have a cooling unit set to keep the room at 0 degrees F, no clue about C or K.

And it completely stops the food (Meals, raw, and corpses) from spoiling when frozen

Thank you for the quick reply.  When it is frozen can it still be eaten or must you then thaw it as well to eat it?
And really at 0 F?  Freezing is 32 F, or 0 C.

Innese

Quote from: DaNewb on December 10, 2014, 08:15:51 PM
Quote from: Innese on December 10, 2014, 08:13:15 PM

Thank you for the quick reply.  When it is frozen can it still be eaten or must you then thaw it as well to eat it?
And really at 0 F?  Freezing is 32 F, or 0 C.

I just went and set it to 0 F to compensate for any fluctuations in weather or potential power-outages that might cause the cooler to shut off for a period of time.

As for food needing to be thawed, it does not, your colonists can use & eat the food right from the freezer. (I nearly lost a colonist who decided to eat his meal -in- the freezer, before I had a table set up, to the cold!)

DaNewb

It appears that at 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C that things freeze and never spoil, but you are right that you should account for some minimal fluctuation so keeping it at 28 F or -2 C keeps it constantly frozen.

naxili

Quote from: DaNewb on December 10, 2014, 10:39:30 PM
It appears that at 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C that things freeze and never spoil, but you are right that you should account for some minimal fluctuation so keeping it at 28 F or -2 C keeps it constantly frozen.

I just found this out too ! Although im kind of frustrated because I had it at like... 34 degrees F and it spoiled in 5 days, as just to find out that a few less degrees and it would have spoiled never >_<

ZestyLemons

I think it's generally:

Below 10C (50F) stuff is "refrigerated"
Below 0C (32F) stuff is "frozen"

Between 10C and freezing temperatures, stuff will spoil slower and slower. Stuff never spoils when it's frozen.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Arigas

Speaking from a real world view, 0-4C is generally where fresh goods are stored at, and -20C is the typical frozen goods. Can't imagine them being very far off that. Though if they can eat frozen food regardless, then crank up the AC :P

wooaa

Like they said, 0C to stop them from rotting, but normally a good idea to put it to -1 or -2 C. heat goes though open doors and I think walls, so at 0C you food will still decay, just at a VERY slow rate. Be careful not to make your fridge to big or cold, lost a guy in my super cold corpse room ( emergency rations).

CB elite

Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:29:28 PM
Like they said, 0C to stop them from rotting, but normally a good idea to put it to -1 or -2 C. heat goes though open doors and I think walls, so at 0C you food will still decay, just at a VERY slow rate. Be careful not to make your fridge to big or cold, lost a guy in my super cold corpse room ( emergency rations).

EMERGENCY RATIONS??? :o

I can see it now...

A giant prison cell, full of frozen corpses, where you send raiders to freeze to death so that they might be stored for future meals.

Be right back, I have to try this.

You sick person, you...

Drahkon

Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:29:28 PM

Also know as 'visitor storage'