[MOD] [ALPHA 9] Nu Metals - by JuliaEllie - A9Update (19.02.2015)

Started by JuliaEllie, December 10, 2014, 09:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuliaEllie

Hey everybody,

this mod adds a new step in metal production. Based on an idea by Vas.

Instead of retrieving metals directly from the mountains you now get ores which have to be smelted in either the new Furnace which fires on Wood Logs  or in the Electric Smelter.

Textures (as usual) "borrowed" from the interwebz.

Features:

Furnace - built from stone - your early smeting device.

Ores - Iron (Steel), Silver, Gold, Plastium (Plastium + Steel = Plasteel ONLY in Electric Smelter)

Other metals COULD be added if there is any need for them.

Have Fun :)

Download Me!

- I wanted to keep the mod as non-invasive as possible but if you people would like ingot textures I can add them :)

For some reason this mod is not compatible with EdB's Interface. Presumably EdB doesnt read out the recipes correctly since Nu Metals uses the new <recipeUsers> tag.

«Temple»

It would be nice having ingot textures but still a great mod, keep it up 😀

AudryKnight

haha I feel like I've seen those ore textures before, on a game called Maplestory but I could be wrong

JuliaEllie

Quote from: AudryKnight on December 11, 2014, 08:22:02 PM
haha I feel like I've seen those ore textures before, on a game called Maplestory but I could be wrong

*cough cough*

millenium

i hate to say it but plasteel is an alloy not a native ore.

compacted plasteel is the result of a ship ramming into a planet and melting together from the power of the impact.

plasteel slag would be a better way of putting it  for refining into normal plasteel.

still using it but just a small point.

JuliaEllie

Well it is an alloy. You smelt Plastium and Steel to get Plasteel. At least that was the plan :D

Clibanarius

Not only does this rule for creating more complexity to the production chains, it's balanced! I disliked how you just hacked a little gold from the mountain side and then had a huge amount of trading capacity to work with; now you needa smelt that shit, too. Ditto on Plasteel, making it a more involved process that fits the potency of the materials yielded!

Ibrulz

Hay there. Really like the idea of this mod, but when I tried to make the basic furnace, the only option was a limestone one. There wasn't any different materials to select from either. Problem is, I have no limestone on my map lol.

Is this a bug, or am I just being dumb? :) x

Clibanarius

Right-click and you'll get a bunch of options. The only ones, however, require bricks from stoneworking. So you will need to place your steel (iron-based, of course) industry later in your timeline than stoneworking, or get lucky and find some stone walls you can tear down on the map.

Iwillbenicetou

Jullia, where do you even get those .gifs + meme's... I am too lazy to search up some.
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

JuliaEllie

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on December 16, 2014, 06:03:21 PM
Jullia, where do you even get those .gifs + meme's... I am too lazy to search up some.

For the exploitable memes (the ones you add your own text I just use Imgurs built-in meme generator and for the non exploitable ones I just google its name in image search ;) Be aware to use memes right because the wrong use of a meme is heavily frowned upon. For the meaning of memes refer to knowyourmeme.com

Iwillbenicetou

Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Kilderon

Thanks for your mods! I'm really enjoying what this one in particular adds to the game, just the right balance of realism and fun for me.

That being said, is there any way you can get access to the trade system via modding? I find it sort of odd to see iron ore on trade, except have it 3-6 times as expensive as just buying refined steel to begin with. I also think it'd be neat if this mod made industrial ships carry much more ore, and less of the refined metals, that seems more realistic to me... though I suppose the ships could also be carrying cargo from a industrial refining planet to it's final destination too.

The option to buy larger quantities of unrefined stuff you'd then have to make useful would add something to the game though. More ore for cheaper, but with additional time and energy/wood cost, or immediately useful, but more expensive steel.

JuliaEllie

Quote from: Kilderon on December 16, 2014, 08:01:17 PM
Thanks for your mods! I'm really enjoying what this one in particular adds to the game, just the right balance of realism and fun for me.

That being said, is there any way you can get access to the trade system via modding? I find it sort of odd to see iron ore on trade, except have it 3-6 times as expensive as just buying refined steel to begin with. I also think it'd be neat if this mod made industrial ships carry much more ore, and less of the refined metals, that seems more realistic to me... though I suppose the ships could also be carrying cargo from a industrial refining planet to it's final destination too.

The option to buy larger quantities of unrefined stuff you'd then have to make useful would add something to the game though. More ore for cheaper, but with additional time and energy/wood cost, or immediately useful, but more expensive steel.

Thanks for your encouraging words :) Yes its totally possible to mod the traders and actually traders shouldnt carry the ores at all.. Ill have to look at the ThingDefs again. I didnt touch the traders because I wanted this to be least invasive as possible to make it play along with 100% of other mods.

Kilderon

That makes sense, and would solve the issue just fine too. I just found it momentarily disorienting to have a trader trying to sell me limited edition raw iron ore for five times as much as regular plebeian steel ingots. Still in it's original rock casing, and you know how fast collectibles appreciate in value!

Don't quote me, but in retrospect it might just be an odd mod interaction. I think I saw the trades on the traders that the "Miscellaneous" mod sends your way occasionally, and I notice that mod contains it's own Trader.dll which might be overriding whatever is keeping the ore from appearing on the regular trading lists.