Animals stop respawning!

Started by DaNewb, December 11, 2014, 01:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaNewb

I just played a game that i started in September in the coldest Boreal Forrest tile i could find, max temp 50 degress F min temp -60 degrees F.  I quickly dug a small room into a small chunk of rock and called it home. Due to the temperate not even trees grow, and i wanted to try to survive off of just hunting.  In the beginning animals were sparce but enough to get me by, eventually i got enough leather to make a parka, then 2 and finally three. Come December no more animals spawned, ive played through all of december and most of January and no more animals have showed up.  Is this a bug? Due to temperature, currently average of -50? Thought maybe it is because there is no vegetation for them to eat?

Darkfirephoenix

Animals will leave the map if it is too cold for them, so I can imagine that they won't (re)spawn if it's too cold for them.
MAY be a bug, or intention, only Tynan can tell for sure if he WANTED it to happen.

skullywag

Wait for spring if they dont come back raise a bug report.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

ZestyLemons

Quote from: DaNewb on December 11, 2014, 01:49:07 AM
I just played a game that i started in September in the coldest Boreal Forrest tile i could find, max temp 50 degress F min temp -60 degrees F.  I quickly dug a small room into a small chunk of rock and called it home. Due to the temperate not even trees grow, and i wanted to try to survive off of just hunting.  In the beginning animals were sparce but enough to get me by, eventually i got enough leather to make a parka, then 2 and finally three. Come December no more animals spawned, ive played through all of december and most of January and no more animals have showed up.  Is this a bug? Due to temperature, currently average of -50? Thought maybe it is because there is no vegetation for them to eat?

I think most animals are only comfortable up to -45C, so you can probably blame it on the fact that your colony is cold as balls and all the animals migrated south to where it's less harsh.

It's less so a bug and moreso the game not throwing animals at you that will freeze to death.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

DaNewb

Makes sense, thanks for the information.

milon

I hope you built some fertilizer pumps / hydroponics for an indoor garden!

DaNewb

Quote from: milon on December 11, 2014, 04:19:39 PM
I hope you built some fertilizer pumps / hydroponics for an indoor garden!

Nope, not at all. I wanted to play just hunting and i will continue that way. If i run out of my simple cooked meals from the meat i have gathered so far, i guess those 30+ and growing corpses that are conveniently frozen in there graves outside my front door will be next on the menu :-P.

christhekiller

I think it varies depending on the animal. I noticed once I started hitting the winter months deer and muffalo wandered out of my forest home. But boars and squirrels and boomrats all stayed.

Oh and when the alphabeavers attempted to start stuff, oh what a feast we had.

DaNewb

Surviving in the coldest of coldest regions i first encountered hares and squirrels, as it got colder muffalo came in and finally the last animals i saw were elk.  After the elk, no animals showed up for two months!