Parkas are seriously OP

Started by DaNewb, December 11, 2014, 01:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaNewb

After you get a parka there is no point in having heat or cooling anymore.  My people are comfortable up to -80 to -110 degrees F with parkas equipped.  Get rid of the heaters and you have free refrigeration for all your food, the only place you need heat would be for any indoor growing areas.  While i see the need for parkas to endure the severe weather, they should not allow you to be in -50 or -60 degree weather constantly with no consequences. I saw an AI with a cloth parka that only had -35 degree F tolerance which seemed a bit more realistic and fitting.

stefanstr

I agree. No clothing can protect you from cold indefinitely.

StorymasterQ

Tell that to the South Park kids. I don't watch them religiously like some people, but I don't think I've ever seen them in other clothes. :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Snowpig

the clothing add up heat/cold protection by adding static numbers for "maximum/minimum comfortable temperature".

To remedy this, you would have to make something like a formula, which derives the numbers for the comfortable temperature e.g. from the actual "food"-value of the colonist, like: the more hunger he has, the less protection against cold from the clothing.

stefanstr

Quote from: Snowpig on December 11, 2014, 03:54:27 AM
the clothing add up heat/cold protection by adding static numbers for "maximum/minimum comfortable temperature".

To remedy this, you would have to make something like a formula, which derives the numbers for the comfortable temperature e.g. from the actual "food"-value of the colonist, like: the more hunger he has, the less protection against cold from the clothing.

Or you could add a „body temperature“ parameter that is slowly lowered by low temperatures. Parka would slow this loss down but it wouldn’t stop it completely.

keylocke

Quote from: stefanstr on December 11, 2014, 04:16:48 AM
Or you could add a �body temperature� parameter that is slowly lowered by low temperatures. Parka would slow this loss down but it wouldn�t stop it completely.

i like this idea. body temperature should definitely be a thing.
-heat is generated by body normally (like a timer)
-the colder it is, the faster heat dissipates
-if it's hot, then there's body heat build-up instead
-clothes slow down heat dissipation

so basically that's it.
we should treat body temperature like a hunger or rest bar,
but the temperature slowly builds up over time naturally or gets lowered by the difference between body temperature vs room/outside temperatures.

this way, no amount of parkas/winter gear can keep a person alive outdoors for too long in freezing temperatures.

DaNewb

Body temperature is a great idea, or any system that goes along the same lines would work.  Just as long as i cant survive endlessly sleeping outside in -60 degrees F weather :-P

fraz

I completely agree. Parkas make heating considerations irrelevant except for indoor growing areas. It's far easier and more reliable to equip all colonists with parkas instead of regulating the temperature of living areas. Surviving indefinitely in extreme cold just by wearing a parka is a bit ridiculous.

Ironvos

In the Def files they are currently set to be comfy til -45 (Celsius i suppose).
Maybe could test out how things are if you set it to -30 or -25.

woolfoma

it works fine (not too op) you still get cold with them on (if you do tundra/ very northern boreal forests starts) cold isn't supposed to be impossible to stop, its just supposed to make it harder to survive early on.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...

It seems many of the Centipedes in the area have been driven insane.

_alphaBeta_

For an initial cut at implementing the concept of temperature I think the main reasons for the OP Parkas was to not totally break the colonist / raider / visitor AI. They allow for a stopgap to temporarily account for some possible shortcomings in the current AI to effectively deal with temperature extremities. Mechanics like temperature need to baby step their way into a game like this.

There's certainly some pawn AI for temperature reactions now, but these don't currently include the pawn dressing themselves etc. I think it would be cool if the colonists have an awareness of what they're wearing and seek to adapt to the surroundings, but that may not be trivial. Once that's in place, I think the clothing tolerances and effects can be tightened up somewhat. Something like a parka should really substantially decrease the maximum comfortable temperature as well, since they're probably not the best choice in summer in a hot environment. If that were the case, however, the player would currently need to change every colonists' clothing to avoid certain doom.

All this said, I think body temperature would be an excellent mechanic once the other systems are able to support it. This should hopefully address the overall issue of just leaving parkas on your colonists year-round in many environments with no consequences.

Ironvos

It actually has a max temperature at which it's comfortable.
It's set to -8 in the files.
So between -8 and -45 it's comfortable.

_alphaBeta_

Quote from: Ironvos on December 11, 2014, 04:18:22 PM
It actually has a max temperature at which it's comfortable.
It's set to -8 in the files.
So between -8 and -45 it's comfortable.

Yes, they do currently reduce the maximum comfortable temperature. Realistically it should be much more, however. Those are offsets that the parka applies to the base comfortable temperatures of the colonist. Only reducing the maximum comfortable temperature by 8 degrees isn't much when you're wearing clothing that reduces your minimum by 45. We're talking realism here and not game balance at the moment.

DaNewb

Quote from: woolfoma on December 11, 2014, 04:03:15 PM
it works fine (not too op) you still get cold with them on (if you do tundra/ very northern boreal forests starts) cold isn't supposed to be impossible to stop, its just supposed to make it harder to survive early on.

Incorrect, my colonists have been outside sleeping and not in any temperature warmer then -40 degrees F for at least 8 days straight... not getting cold at all.  There minimum comfortable temp ranges from -80 degrees Fahrenheit and -110 with only the starting t-shirt and pants plus a muffalo parka.

Tynan

You are correct they are a bit OP. Properly solving this would require an AI that can automatically don and remove clothing. I just didn't have time to do that yet.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog