Parkas are seriously OP

Started by DaNewb, December 11, 2014, 01:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xort

I'd rather not have the upper limit get too low otherwise you would need to have them dress and undress before going outside. Sure it would be more real but it's just busy work and how jobs get assigned more or less unworkable from a manual control point.

With cold weather gear you can stay outside for huge amounts of time in extreme weather, but your ability to do anything is wildly reduced.

Stuff like power armor should offer a near unlimited temperature range, given the wonders of the gliterword tech.

I get why the parka is a great as it is, but what's wrong with wanting raider to freeze to death outside of my stone walls?

porcupine

Quote from: Tynan on December 11, 2014, 04:49:29 PM
You are correct they are a bit OP. Properly solving this would require an AI that can automatically don and remove clothing. I just didn't have time to do that yet.

What about a debuff on the gear, and develop some radiance to the heat mechanism, so raiders can huddle around camp fires/steam vents/etc. to warm up?  They already actively take heat into account in their behavior  (to avoid hypo right)? 

I noticed that my colonists that want to go outside, stand inside, paralyzed BTW.

This is why we need small/micro-updates.  Assuming the best feature of A8 might be rather useless for 2-3 months breaks my heart.

Drahkon

I just assume they take it off and toss it over their shoulder when it's too warm to actually wear.  =)

mprobison

Also please note that body heat from three people in an igloo or Teepee is enough to keep it rather toasty (relative), even in harsh cold. Not to over complicate the issue, but body heat should contribute to cell heat.

Making tundra survival a little easier.

Yay mammals.

DaNewb

I completely agree with everyone here that said they aren't concerned with maximum heat while wearing a parka because it is safe to assume they just take it off when needed.  It would be very annoying if you had to manually keep taking it off and putting it back on to go outside again.

RemingtonRyder

For the moment, I've made a Hide and Parka Nerf mod.  Now you too can experience hypothermia in the middle of winter. ;)

porcupine

Quote from: marvinkosh on December 12, 2014, 12:16:29 PM
For the moment, I've made a Hide and Parka Nerf mod.  Now you too can experience hypothermia in the middle of winter. ;)

That was quick.  I'm going to try that in my game, where I'm at the coldest, highest spot I could find (no growing, bone cold, tons of snow), and I'm not finding the effects to be appreciable/noticable.

Somebody just needs to make the camp fires/steam vents have radiant heat, and have sieges ship with wood/instructions to make fire, so the AI's dont break on raids :).

fraz

As others have alluded to, I imagine the reason parkas were given such overpowered stats is because otherwise raiders/visitors (especially sieges) would freeze to death. I completely agree with the suggestion that campfires should have radiant heat, and siegers should come with wood to make campfires.

Frankly, if raiders/visitors sometimes die due to the cold, I think that's appropriate; extreme cold should be dangerous, and people who choose to play in such environments should be able to capitalize on this harshness as a defensive advantage. You know what they say about invading Russia during the winter...

porcupine

Quote from: fraz on December 12, 2014, 03:17:17 PM
As others have alluded to, I imagine the reason parkas were given such overpowered stats is because otherwise raiders/visitors (especially sieges) would freeze to death. I completely agree with the suggestion that campfires should have radiant heat, and siegers should come with wood to make campfires.

Frankly, if raiders/visitors sometimes die due to the cold, I think that's appropriate; extreme cold should be dangerous, and people who choose to play in such environments should be able to capitalize on this harshness as a defensive advantage. You know what they say about invading Russia during the winter...

Same thing they do in the summer?  Bring vodka?