Weaponised Heating?

Started by absentminded, December 11, 2014, 03:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

absentminded

Ok, So i've had an idea, but so far it seems like it won't work.

Could you use heating/cooling for security?

The idea is a room which is kept over 100 degrees so anyone walking through it just dies from the heat.
However, you can't seem to let intruders in through a door without them breaking it and then the heater is outside so it doesn't work.
Also, is there a temperature, either hot or cold, where people would die fast enough for this to work?

ZestyLemons

I think stuff starts to burst into flames around 200C ~ 400C. Dying of heatstroke or hypothermia takes a few hours game-wise, it's not super viable.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

milon

As I see it, these are the major problems with using temperature for security:
- Temperature equalizes instantly
- The player cannot open/close doors at will (or otherwise insta-close a space)

Like absentminded pointed out, pirates will just break a door down.  Your furnace/freezer room equalizes with the outdoor temperature, which they're dressed for already.  Trap disabled.  We need a way to get the pirates in an enclosed space and keep them there.  This would work well for "friendly" visitors and pirates who drop in on a booby-trap beacon, but not against regular assaults.  I'd love for there to be a way that this works, though.  Ideas?

Also, does temperature affect mechs?

Mattorious

Quote from: milon on December 11, 2014, 08:25:39 AM
This would work well for "friendly" visitors
Wait wait, I think you're on to something here. What if, during a neutral colony visit, you trap them into a room with temps over 100c? Would that be a way of exploiting the system for free loot?

Discovery requires experimentation. :D
Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

Ink.

Quote from: Mattorious on December 11, 2014, 09:15:21 AM
Quote from: milon on December 11, 2014, 08:25:39 AM
This would work well for "friendly" visitors
Wait wait, I think you're on to something here. What if, during a neutral colony visit, you trap them into a room with temps over 100c? Would that be a way of exploiting the system for free loot?

Discovery requires experimentation. :D

This could potentially work right? If you lock the doors into a room. Would have to wait from them to overheat or freeze to death  because you wouldn't want it to be too hot (because don't they ignite and you might burn some of that gear). But that could work to gather equipment on a safer level then declaring war.

Nickvr628

Make a prison cell around a steam vent
Put a cooler in the room and set the temp to a normal amount
The room will not heat past the amount set, so the prisoner is safe
Disable the cooler, and the room will quickly heat to several hundred degrees from the steam vent.
Repeat cycle to either kill or torture prisoners.

Zulgaines

I'd imagine if anyone found out you were cooking their allies alive the reputation hit would be even heavier than a normal cruelty free death.

Such as letting this fine fellow bleed to death while I harvest the potatoes next to him... heh, just kidding. like I'm going to let his organs go to waste like that.

Mattorious

Alright guys, I've tested this, and I can firmly say that this works to a degree. For instructions on how to set up a weaponized, friendly faction killer, (Without penalty!) check out this thread.
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

Ink.

Quote from: Nickvr628 on December 11, 2014, 11:38:55 AM
Make a prison cell around a steam vent
Put a cooler in the room and set the temp to a normal amount
The room will not heat past the amount set, so the prisoner is safe
Disable the cooler, and the room will quickly heat to several hundred degrees from the steam vent.
Repeat cycle to either kill or torture prisoners.

Cyclops

Damn young whippersnappers and their temperature system exploitation! Back in my day we just locked the door and let visitors starve to death.

milon

Quote from: Cyclops on December 11, 2014, 02:02:45 PM
Damn young whippersnappers and their temperature system exploitation! Back in my day we just locked the door and let visitors starve to death.

You young'uns and your fancy-shmancy "locks".  Back in my day, we didn't have any of that nonsense.  We shot trespassers on sight!

wooaa

I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people a live and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it :)

Ink.

I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people a live and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it :)

Death to the infidels.

RawCode

Can be used to kill without any reputation penalty friendly\neutral visitors.
Very hard to use vs hostile units.