So Ancient Cryosleep pods

Started by Listy, December 11, 2014, 04:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

christhekiller

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on December 11, 2014, 07:18:18 AM
"Thanks guys for saving/waking us up. Sadly we have to kill you all now!" Yep you should prepare some kind of defense pointed right at the pods, or simply send 2+ colonists for each pod equiped with fast firing weapons (just to be sure).

One thing which bothers me: Ppl comming out of the pods are INSTANTLY awake and ready. You would imagine that it would take some time till they are 100% ready to go, these guys were DEEPFROZEN for a longer period of time and the body should take a bit of time to "boot" up to full ability.

Affects should could be: Drowsyness and impared senses (like you are if you just got forcefully woken up)

"Dec 12
People newly woken from cryptosleep have cryptosleep sickness for a while"

Aethelric

I had a big 10-pod room open up on my colony when I only had four people. I didn't open them, though: fire did. It was kind of hilarious when "a colonist needs treatment" popped up and I scrolled up and saw the miniature horde of megascarabs come to end my colony.

thefinn

Quote from: Listy on December 11, 2014, 04:57:55 AM
Spot the guy who didn't realise that if you open one, they all open. First thing I do is go poking around and see the "open" Option... sure lets have some of that.

http://i.imgur.com/dbDeLQl.jpg

Save me piggy!

Yeah, that colony was forked, about 5 minutes in, possibly a new personnel best.
Do Cryo sleep pods ever disgorge friendlies?

I had a similar experience and yes they do. I found 3 pods, due to earlier "issues" I only had a single colonist left. I opened the pod and 2 had unconscious blue-named people, and a 3rd had an enemy. Also 3-4 scarab beetle things popped out of the one I opened, they beat on him and then the red named guy shot him in the head and killed him ;)

Riftmaster

So far have opened one room with 3 pods in it.
Got 1 dead, 1 incapped non-hostile, and 1 enemy.  Also 4 megascarabs

I had prior to opening these walled off the room and placed turrets in it.

The hostile was incapped as well, the scarabs beat up my colonists a bit but got killed (later eaten) and now the 2 surviving sleepers are members of my colony.

One of them was even wearing power armor, so that was nice.  Also 2 uzi's, quite handy.

It helped that earlier a visitor joined my colony and had a lee-enfield...more firepower for killing those damn scarabs.

But the turrets were quite helpful.

I'm thinking if there's a really large room I may just place turrets all around, wall it off, then have a colonist pop one of the pods and sprint for the door...:D

ProjectXa3

I've got one that's two pods in a sealed room with a pair of hives. I feel like it's trying to tell me something.
"I set fire to my sheet of sailcloth and drape it over the skeletons."
"Okay I'm...I'm going to need you to roll for a personality check for that one."

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on December 11, 2014, 07:18:18 AM
"Thanks guys for saving/waking us up. Sadly we have to kill you all now!" Yep you should prepare some kind of defense pointed right at the pods, or simply send 2+ colonists for each pod equiped with fast firing weapons (just to be sure).

One thing which bothers me: Ppl comming out of the pods are INSTANTLY awake and ready. You would imagine that it would take some time till they are 100% ready to go, these guys were DEEPFROZEN for a longer period of time and the body should take a bit of time to "boot" up to full ability.

Affects should could be: Drowsyness and impared senses (like you are if you just got forcefully woken up)

If you're positioned in melee you'll start fisticuffs and if you have 2-3 man advantage/pod you're winning that with only bruises.  I much prefer it to exchanging gunfire.  Bruises don't even get infected.

mrm

I build some simple walls to cut out each pod except the first one. Place few sandbags, and attack first pod with 6 pawns. Kill first guy, while the others are trying to mine trough walls. Then i shoot in one of the walls to release next guy, and kill him. And another, and so on. They will not manage to mine trough walls if walls are granite. And there is plenty of granit, i usually remove unwanted walls or floor, get granite and build from it. No turrets, no power lines.

Stormfox

Can we please not do threadomancy? This threads last post was over two years old until yesterday! Especially in discussing games in an early stage like this where stuff changes all the time, early posts were not made under the same experiences and assumptions as nowadays and therefore do not fit the discussion anymore and even confuse.

Since we are now here anyways, something on topic:
Cryptos are one of the really nicely made features of the game. You get a clear warning (and can simply learn to keep away from fully enclosed rooms until you are ready) and they tend to have something pretty dangerous and something pretty useful at the same time (usually survivors but at least some cool tech like a lance). My only point of criticism would be if they spawn with mechs in the room, they are extremely hard to fight because you cannot lure them out and the combat usually starts the second you remove one space of wall, making for a ridiculously narrow entrance.

Seeker89

Yes lets continue the threadomancy.....

I normally set up turrets and a small kill box before opening the room. Then I'll drop the temp of the room to -250c, and open the pods, so if they are bad guys... well they are going to wake in a very cold room

b0rsuk

Divide and Conquer, or the coward way ?

Two people fell out dead, one hostile (annoying voice, volatile, joywire). The megascarabs on the bottom are peaceful! The naked guy is an ex-husband of one of my colonists. He went to my hospital and occupied the bed. The game wouldn't let me treat him, so he got more and more blood loss, infection, then berserk and was punched to death.

The blue colonist wearing  hyperweave is my prize. I REALLY need someone who's a capable crafter.

If it wasn't ice sheet, I would probably use wood for the separator walls.