Do heaters/coolers go through doors?

Started by Ink., December 11, 2014, 12:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riftmaster

Regarding refrigeration/freezer room for food storage

I've found that if you put a small connecting hallway outside the door to said room, it only vents cold air into that small space, but not the rest of the base (because the freezer door is closed before they open the door to the rest of the base/outside/whatever)

Basically an airlock type deal, except the doors aren't really interlocked (as in, only one open at a time).

Usually my single cooling unit facing outside can keep the room at 20-25 F easily when set at 20 F. 

A side note...if you're in an area that tends to be cold, you may want to place a second cooling unit with it's exhaust facing inside the base, and switch between the two depending on outside weather...since the cooling exhaust is basically a heater...

Also regarding individual colonist rooms, I've found that if you cool the corridors/halls that individual rooms are connected too, they normally stay about 3-5 degrees warmer than the halls...

shade88

In the patch notes for Alpha 9c, Tynan mentions a new heat loss system. Haven't tried it out; anything changed for airlocks and such?

MrSurvivor

Heaters and coolers do not go through doors, however there is a mod called "Central Heating" (link: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8476.msg84066#msg84066) that adds vents into the game. Basicallly you put it into walls like the cooler and it moves around temperatures through rooms which is good for heating and cooling.

Fernbhoy

Quote from: MrSurvivor on February 21, 2015, 04:31:29 PM
Heaters and coolers do not go through doors, however there is a mod called "Central Heating" (link: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8476.msg84066#msg84066) that adds vents into the game. Basicallly you put it into walls like the cooler and it moves around temperatures through rooms which is good for heating and cooling.

that was Alpha 8, it does now.

tommytom

I dunno about passively, but going in and out rapidly equalizes the temperatures. Even more so if they are unpowered (normal) doors as they stay open longer.

You need enough heat in the connected room to be warm but enough cold in the freezer to counteract the heaters.

I usually run 2-3 coolers in my medium/large fridge set a few degrees below freezing and however many heaters I need in the other rooms set to 52F to stay around 52F (because they wear parkas and are cold loving/tolerant).

51F (set to 52F) in connected dining room + kitchen
12F in freezer (set to 26F on all 3)
-11F outdoors.

When it's summer, it should be 52F+ in the dining room/kitchen.
26F in freezer (or slightly above depending on activity).
70F+ outside.