[MOD](A9) Cybernetic Storm - Balances and Fix (v3.5 - 19MAR15)

Started by elStrages, December 11, 2014, 07:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronin90

Quote from: elStrages on January 23, 2015, 10:27:40 AM
yeah maybe, but its the the top end of the mod, there is nothing that takes longer to get through research and construction. so I thought it would be a nice end game, plus you don't have to use it ;) but I know you will :D

Well i just happened to piss off one of these Cyber Factions and many of their raiders had these, needless to say my base was utterly wrecked. I guess ill just be friends with them from now on.  :D

elStrages

Haha the faction description said not to piss them off :D maybe I need to increase the cyber storm heavy in cost so it doesn't come very often.
Although it is funny that they destroyed you. That's what I hoped if someone made them their enemy.

palandus

I wouldn't say the mod is overpowered. The research cost, and the costs to build the items offsets any uber power from the stuff. Plus, when you think about it, you are unlikely to get the majority of the cybernetic stuff until late game, at which point you'd want all that extra power.

Dragoon

Quote from: palandus on January 23, 2015, 10:06:36 PM
I wouldn't say the mod is overpowered. The research cost, and the costs to build the items offsets any uber power from the stuff. Plus, when you think about it, you are unlikely to get the majority of the cybernetic stuff until late game, at which point you'd want all that extra power.

plus people (like me) mostly never make it to real late game we build our spaceship and are off long before the best stuff can be used.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

elStrages

Well that's what I was hoping for really, I want the progress to be at a pace that realistic to the game length. Hopefully the mod will only need some tweeting when alpha 9 comes out.

Boboid

So I've found a couple things that're a bit out of whack regarding balance.

• Simple Prosthetics just aren't worth building. Simple Prosthetics cost 10 steel 45 wood whereas Carbon Fiber Arms/legs cost 10 steel, 10 cloth, 1 wood and are *considerably* better
  • Likewise NONE of the Bionic limbs/organs are worth building imo compared to their Nano equivalents because they use Hyperweave which is simply too fiddly to obtain.

A Bionic arm uses 20 plasteel, 10 synthread 5 hyperweave which extrapolates out to 100 steel, 150 cloth and 15 devilstrand

Whereas a Nano arm uses 20 plasteel, 10 nanothread, 5 nanomites which totals 350 steel, 350 cloth 35 nanothread

Now you might say that 250 steel and 250 cloth is a significant cost increase, but when compared to the 28 DAYS required to grow a Devilstrand crop (assuming no events which destroy the crop entirely or power outages or any of the various accidents that can kill a crop) it really ends up being very little. The Nanothread itself is almost free as it costs very little to obtain and grows very quickly, and is durable enough to survive the events which would kill a Devilstrand crop due to its high health.

• The Audio and Visual implants serve basically no purpose other than to be used in the Advanced Nanobrain as they cost the same amount of resources as the Skill at Arms and Melee Skill implants both of which drastically out-perform the audio/visual implants.
    The comparison is +10% sight or +10% hearing Vs 10% sight + 10% manipulation (Manipulation being extremely important for the vast majority of tasks) OR +10% Manipulation and +10% mobility(!)

I suppose there's an extremely niche situation where because Hearing is marginally more valuable than Sight when calculating the Trade Price Improvement that you /might/ consider using a Hearing implant on your *best* social guy, but I doubt it's worthwhile

Perhaps if the audio/visual implants weren't mutually exclusive with Skill implants they might be worth considering

• When you make a Nanotech Skin the item created is *actually* a Cybernetic Skin
  • There's no Nano-tier Exoskeleton? Or at least you can't craft it

• The Nano and Cybernetic tier helmet/armour/"Grieves" all display "Usable ingredients" instead of their actual ingredients

• The Cyber Long Sniper seems to do 9 damage ( and has a typo in its description - Rage ought to be Range)

• Why the hell are the Nano and Cyber tier pants called "Grieves"!? Is it just a horrible misspelling of " Greaves "?

That's everything off the top of my head - A minor complaint would be that you can't fight *any* faction that can potentially bring Cyber-Storms to the fight as they'll wipe you out in a single shot in most cases which isn't particularly fun.
I'd certainly *like* to be able to fight and then convert Cyber-Coven pawns to my colony since they move so much faster and all their limbs/organs are so much tougher than a standard Human, even though you can't augment them :(
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

elStrages

well, just rip the s**t out of the mod why don't you...

Na just kidding :D thanks for the information. anything that helps me balance is good, I mad the mod over such a long month that things get a little screwed.  everything that you added has gone into my log and will be worked on, it will then be released fixed in line with alpha 9 :)

shhfiftyfive

i suspect these weapons the cyber faction are using to fight my enemies are basically wrecking my base. could you maybe nerf the friendly fire on the environment.

i had major roof cave-ins that destroyed my turret room. not sure if the cyber faction was responsible or the jaffa faction. i've since removed the jaffa faction because they are way too OP for early game existence. but seeing these cyber guys attacking them with these weapons that have massive aoe radius displayed on my screen, i fear my base and stockpiles will not be safe from them even as friendlies.

maybe even make this faction a separate download? if not a separate download, a separate group in the mod order that could be disabled/removed would be greatly appreciated. i was interested in the implants part of the mod, but then the mod became much more than that. and no simple way atm to disable stuff without removing the entire mod...

elStrages

yeah its uber weapon within the group the Cyber Storm that is the killer, I will be taking that off the faction in the new release, the other weapons are not AOE so should be all good from then on. the faction will not be separate or taken out though.

shhfiftyfive

Quote from: elStrages on January 26, 2015, 06:15:59 PM
yeah its uber weapon within the group the Cyber Storm that is the killer, I will be taking that off the faction in the new release, the other weapons are not AOE so should be all good from then on. the faction will not be separate or taken out though.
sounds like a good enough solution.

still a bit concerned on one issue: if cybernetic visitors walk into my turret room and take friendly fire because they are in between the enemy and the turret... will this cause the cybernetic faction to get upset with me? i just don't want to risk my entire game being ruined by something like that. maybe there is a way to code it so they forgive for such occurrences?

side note: i do wish there was a way to keep op factions like jaffa in the game, if they could somehow be coded so they wouldn't show up so early (say first appearance is year 2-3) but i can only assume that is entirely impossible.

elStrages

Quote from: shhfiftyfive on January 27, 2015, 05:20:17 AM
Quote from: elStrages on January 26, 2015, 06:15:59 PM
sounds like a good enough solution.

still a bit concerned on one issue: if cybernetic visitors walk into my turret room and take friendly fire because they are in between the enemy and the turret... will this cause the cybernetic faction to get upset with me? i just don't want to risk my entire game being ruined by something like that. maybe there is a way to code it so they forgive for such occurrences?

side note: i do wish there was a way to keep op factions like jaffa in the game, if they could somehow be coded so they wouldn't show up so early (say first appearance is year 2-3) but i can only assume that is entirely impossible.

there will definitely be a way to code it , but it would be down to Tynan's in game systems.  The only solution would be to give hem gifts if it happens to build back reputation. :/ as for the Jaffas', they are an optional faction, and a faction I didn't make, was made by another guy. I jst changed a couple of bits to make it compatible.

Dave-In-Texas

I added cybernetic storm 3.3  after starting a colony and playing for quite some time.
it seems to be working fine, well except....

one of my colonists got given a peg leg due to it being shot off.   he now runs around like the flash from DC Comics.  Just looked and he's also a slowpoke!  hehe. 

I installed the mod because I wanted to make him a leg :)

SilverDragon

Quote from: Dave-In-Texas on January 27, 2015, 10:57:13 AM
I added cybernetic storm 3.3  after starting a colony and playing for quite some time.

one of my colonists got given a peg leg due to it being shot off.   he now runs around like the flash from DC Comics.  Just looked and he's also a slowpoke!  hehe. 

Haha you should play the Flash theme music whenever you give him a command to go haul something from far away! ;D
FLASH!! Ooo-oooo!!

elStrages

oh really.. I will add it to the list :)

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: elStrages on January 27, 2015, 02:27:05 PM

oh really.. I will add it to the list :)

His movement speed was 0.00 c/s..   he got ganked by a conflux of 3 different tribes (only one of which was initially hostile) and lost the OTHER leg.  sigh.  i gave him a cyber leg and now he moves at 5.80 c/s :)