Frozen Wasteland Challenge

Started by ItchyFlea, December 11, 2014, 08:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

The Frozen Wasteland Challenge.

How to set it up:
Land in a tundra biome and set the start month to November.

For more of a challenge:
No taking clothing off enemies.
Limit of 5 heaters max.
No parkas or tuques.
Don't use geothermal vents as a heat source.
No randomising starting characters.

To make this more interesting, give your thoughts below as to what restrictions should be placed on the player to make it even more challenging.
If you've already started doing such a thing, post screenshots of your base below.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Ink.

Perhaps there could be a restriction on the number of heaters a colony of any size can use? Requiring the player to manage their heaters wisely and position them specifically to maximize usage?

(Also, aren't we unable to land on tundras yet?)

Tynan

No taking clothing off dead enemies.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ItchyFlea

This is my place as it stands on the 3rd of Feb. My 3rd colonist is currently digging out a mountain wearing the clothes I stripped off the first raider. (Who was then released into the snow.) Very first thing I built after the walls was the research bench, and then did dedicated research on hydroponics.

Because I'm lazy I'm playing with Cassandra Classic set to Casual. (When I get home, a more challenging level will be set.)

World seed: � (ALT+0167)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Ink. on December 11, 2014, 08:04:11 PM
Perhaps there could be a restriction on the number of heaters a colony of any size can use? Requiring the player to manage their heaters wisely and position them specifically to maximize usage?

They were added in A8. Only unlandable places now are the ice sheet biome and the ocean. (There is a mod that opens up the Ice Sheet though.)

What would be a good restriction on heater usage? 3 heaters max?

Ink.

Quote from: ItchyFlea on December 11, 2014, 08:16:04 PM
Quote from: Ink. on December 11, 2014, 08:04:11 PM

They were added in A8. Only unlandable places now are the ice sheet biome and the ocean. (There is a mod that opens up the Ice Sheet though.)

What would be a good restriction on heater usage? 3 heaters max?

Ahh Ice Sheet. I got the 2 mixed.

And I think maybe 5. Because trying to heat a large colony with 5 is still gonna be pretty difficult and if you make it long enough, it's going to hurt once you grow large enough.

---

Should there be a no-parka's rule?

porcupine

I just did similar, but started in December, without doing a ton of rolls to randomize the first colonists, on the hard AI settings (max challenge, classic).

It took a few restarts to get past the first few days (and I did take clothing off enemies, after a few months).  Initially it was pretty tough, as there was *ZERO* food, no animals, no berries, nothing (lucked out on no animals I suppose).

Problem is, after that, it was ... well barely any different then a norm game.  Raiders don't freeze on their way in, people can stand naked outside in -45 weather for a full day or so, you can make it from one end of the map to the other before you freeze (to collect goodies), etc.

IMHO, cold/hot needs some serious buffing, it's just bypassed after the first few days really.  Also, it didn't seem obvious that the deviation from acceptable temperature had a significant impact (-50 was the same as -10 as best i could tell).  Also, colonists were far too forgiving in their acceptable temperature ranges in general.  Raiders should freeze if they do a middle of winter siege, etc.

Aside from that, the instant normalizing of temperatures took away from the realism.  You can drop all of your heaters on a wall, doesn't seem to matter.  Walls don't seem to have (obvious) different insulating factors, and your guys can't stand around a campfire/steam geyser outside/etc. to warm up.

I love the idea, don't get me wrong, I just hated how trivial it was to entirely bypass the mechanic.  Once you have some parkas, the (cold) temperature is entirely irrelevant.

Nasikabatrachus

No campfires and no eating any animal that passes right next to the base.

Also, I've found that a november start is at least as cold as a january start; october can be pretty bad too. I suggest november so the winter is as long and hard as possible.

Edit: I sort of did this during a test build, back when there were no campfires yet. Not much detail on the early days, though, which were largely spent trying to figure out how not to freeze outside or during a solar flare.
http://imgur.com/a/jr8fP#0

RemingtonRyder

There's a bit of a bug with clothing made from animal hides.  I reported it over in the bugs section.  Long story short, your colonists will never get hypothermia if wearing clothes made from animal hides because they have double the temp offset that their stats indicate.

Japzzi

I think as one of the people above said that it is too easy to bypass the mechanic :/

As soon as I get parkas its gg just like living in the other biomes.. Just with less food and trees.

keylocke

to make it harder. all of your colonist should be brawler nudists.  :P

Rhadamant

I didn't find this all that challenging. I hope that Parkas and Tuques get nerfed. I took this challenge up a notch and never put on Parkas or Tuques. The average temperature of my game never gets above freezing. There is no growing season.

FridayBiology

Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

RawCode

Little mod to make things better:

No loot from enemy units will be spawned, debug build, if everything gone smooth, i will wrap modification with proper info.
Incapped \ arrested units still possible source of items, but this easy to change.

payload is :

class GazePawn : Pawn
    {
        public override void Destroy(DestroyMode mode = DestroyMode.Kill)
        {
            Log.Error("Override invocation");
            if (base.Faction == Faction.OfColony)
            {
                base.Destroy(mode);
                return;
            }

if (base.equipment != null)
            {
                if (base.equipment.Primary != null)
                    base.equipment.DestroyEquipment(base.equipment.Primary);
            }
            if (base.apparel != null)
            {
                base.apparel.WornApparelListForReading.Clear();
            }
            if (base.inventory != null)
            {
                base.inventory.container.Clear();
            }

base.Destroy(mode);
        }

}

[attachment deleted due to age]

JimmyAgnt007

mod the files so that heater require uranium to make.  so its limited but not to a set number.