Alphabeavers are obnoxious

Started by Noobshock, December 12, 2014, 05:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noobshock

They show up pretty damn early, and more or less coerce you into building your base somewhere relatively centered on the map just so you're actually able to respond without a 20 mile trek while it's cold/night and you still have just 3 colonists. Of course you can also ignore them but then it quickly becomes a boreal forest without trees after playing for only a few minutes which just looks silly even from an aesthetic/narrative standpoint. After all you just got done choosing a forest biome.

I don't think building my base on a specific side of the map because it looks like a good spot should make alphabeavers the biggest trolls in the (early!) game.

IMO they could stand to be significantly slower at chomping those trees down, maybe depending on how early they show up.

naxili

As a counterpoint, I was super happy with the rate at which alpha beavers maul trees, but then all my Alpha 8 starts have included a deticated hunter (6+ shooting) to take them out

Noobshock

I had a good shooter (6+ also) and it still took forever to walk over to them not to mention actually kill every single one of the suckers :/

Chibiabos

I've taken to using /two/ hunters, and I manually micromanage the fight to keep the shooters from getting into each others' line of fire (would be really nice to have some AI logic that 'if there is a friendly between you and the target, move so they aren't in the line of fire'), but the dense horde of beavers makes it difficult to distinguish between beavers still-to-be-hunted, and dead beavers ... both get a red 'X' (live beavers to indicate you've flagged them to be hunted, dead ones to mark them as forbidden to pick up).
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!