Uranium crafting/art broken?

Started by karomaas, December 12, 2014, 07:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Cause

Well, as long as it doesn't shatter on impact ^.^
ohh wait... that could work... brawler with a uranium mace runs into a crowed of enemies, smacks one with the mace causing it to erupt into hundreds of little fragments!
Radiation poisoning for all!
or it could be loaded into a rocket of some sort... but that wouldn't get rid of a brawler.
I wonder if particulates small enough to be effectively aerosolized could be formed...
Ouhhh build a room and flood it with uranium laced particulates as tribal allies are visiting! They can carry the contamination back to their base and you have one less problem! ^.^
or you could let pirates break it, expose them and wipe out the pirates.... but pirates have good gear. I want them to come back.

How many posts like this can I make before ending up on an NSA watch list?
I suddenly feel worried about what I have been putting in google search XD
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

Damien Hart

I don't mind the cost for the solid objects, but for decorative purposes, it would be cool to be able to gold/silver plate statues, in which case it would retain its original stats, except its beauty, which gets derived from the gold/silver.

Darkfirephoenix

And I'm sitting here waiting for enough Uranium to make the complete furniture of my visitor room outta it. Hrmm a Uranium mace... could very well work but I don't understand why ppl make it more complicated than it really is: Mace head made from uranium, ENCASED in steel, so you have the weight of the uranium combined with the hardness of the steel!

Tynan why aren't we able to combine stuffs? Stone statue with gold decorations or a knife made out of pla/steel with gold deco? Beeing able to make things 3/1 and/or 2/2 out of different materials? Or is this too hard to code?

Lost Cause

that would make items rather complicated all right :p
Having to store the multitude of materials and what they were used for as well as supporting the UI allowing people to do it, then the logic to make sure that all the materials are available and how to handle the production process.
It would be nice all right, and it is doable, but cost and payoff are funny things and often tough to quantify :p
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

Darkfirephoenix

I thought it may function like this:
Bill: Make X (Mace, sword, statue etc.)
Material 1: Steel
Material 2: Steel
Material 3: Steel
Material 4: Gold
^Is that too much work/too complex resulting in too much calculation work (for the computer)? Or is that just simply a dumb idea?

codyo

So a steel sword encrusted with gold and silver to make it pretty.
Kill with style. I like it.

Tynan

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on December 13, 2014, 03:32:17 AM
I thought it may function like this:
Bill: Make X (Mace, sword, statue etc.)
Material 1: Steel
Material 2: Steel
Material 3: Steel
Material 4: Gold
^Is that too much work/too complex resulting in too much calculation work (for the computer)? Or is that just simply a dumb idea?

It's just too complex to be worth it. For the interface and the implementation. Plus breaks down the difference in 'character' between materials. I like wood to be clearly distinct from metal.

And if you made a uranium mace, you'd want it to be pure uranium. U is harder and denser than steel :) It's why they make tank-penetrator weapons from it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

DestroyX

Kinda necroing here, but whatever :D

the huge problem is that its destroying all the recipes from mods.

and i really dont like it that some materials are considered smaller, some larger.

its just totally inconsistant.

Ayylemao

Quote from: Tynan on December 12, 2014, 03:36:46 PM
Yes, for granularity reasons different things are measured in different base volumes. 1 wood is like a cinderblock-sized piece. 1 gold is like a small chunk or a coin (of 20x smaller volume).

What's ridiculous is the idea of making solid gold weapons! Yes it is ridiculous how much gold you need compared to its value; this is likely part of why nobody does this in real life either.

I'll work on the feedback for A9.
I really dislike how you on one hand advocate good game design aimed at fun rather than realism with steel deposits and wood logs without processing but on the other hand you take a ridiculously backwards approach in certain places like gold rarity vs usefulness or limiting traders based on your colony stats with certain storytellers.

Silvador

Quote from: DestroyX on March 13, 2015, 10:18:17 AM
Kinda necroing here, but whatever :D

the huge problem is that its destroying all the recipes from mods.

and i really dont like it that some materials are considered smaller, some larger.

its just totally inconsistant.

Unless Tynan is making the game with modding especially in mind, I don't think he needs to concern himself with the functionality of mods. You don't build a house and think "well, this window placement might get in the way of the peeping tom down the road with the telescope, I should put it somewhere else". The Starbound devs are actively making their game to accommodate 3rd party mods, so I can understand if peoples' mods breaking is something worth complaining about there.

Mods are great, and all, but they are an unofficial part of the game, and as I've already said, unless the developer is actively designing the game with mods in mind, then they have no obligation towards building their game around your... conveniences.

Quote from: Ayylemao on March 13, 2015, 12:07:32 PM
Yes, for granularity reasons different things are measured in different base volumes. 1 wood is like a cinderblock-sized piece. 1 gold is like a small chunk or a coin (of 20x smaller volume).

What's ridiculous is the idea of making solid gold weapons! Yes it is ridiculous how much gold you need compared to its value; this is likely part of why nobody does this in real life either.

I'll work on the feedback for A9.
I really dislike how you on one hand advocate good game design aimed at fun rather than realism with steel deposits and wood logs without processing but on the other hand you take a ridiculously backwards approach in certain places like gold rarity vs usefulness or limiting traders based on your colony stats with certain storytellers.

There is a certain balance between fiction and fantasy that must be maintained. Gold is well known to be a poor material for straight up crafting, and is highly valued even in small quantities. It is in fact traded by the ounce, because it is used as such. Wood, stone and even steel is used enmasse on a much greater scale, but gold, silver and many other materials are not. This is more than likely the reason Tynan has done things this way, and frankly, I like it this way. It is different to most other games and requires me to be a bit more careful with my more precious materials. Unlike the stockpile full of 2000 wood that I can just toss around because there's no shortage of it surrounding my settlement, Gold is scarce and if I'm reckless with it, I may very well find myself without much of it at all when I want it, or need it.

chaotix14

Generally it's due to the value of the gold used that golden weapons aren't a thing. But another very important factor is that it's not particularly useful as a metal for weapon. A golden edged weapon will lose it's edge quickly(especially if hitting things other than soft flesh), as the metal in comparison to steel is quite soft. A golden blunt weapon can benefit of the fairly dense metal, but it's still a fairly soft metal, honestly you would get about the same effect from a lead blunt and the lead blunt would be lighter to swing and dirt cheap in comparison.(megadwarf bonus if you make a steel hollow steel mace and fill it with mercury) The only things that gold has in favor of more conventional materials is it's workability and the fact that it doesn't corrode(IE never having to worry about going to battle with a rusty sword).

Silvador

If I'm not mistaken, gold is also a good conductor, capable of handling considerable amounts of power. I admit, my memory on this could be completely wrong, but I believe  gold is heavily used in a lot of high tech circuitry.

Assuming I am right... if stronger power cables are later added to the game, having gold a part of their recipe would only elevate its value, emphasizing having it as a "small" material. You don't need a lot of gold. Because of it's pliability, a very small amount can be used for quite a lot, such as leafing and circuits or power cables. One can get far, far more use out of a "brick sized" lump of gold than a single brick or log.

winnsanity

If you all want to make gold crafts and weapons and don't have enough buy it form a trade ship. 

Endoric

A solid gold sword....  That would weigh a lot and break after slashing someone with it a few times.

And why do i feel Uranium should make you sick from radiation poisoning?  I could craft the 'Great Sword of Vomiting' if it did.

Ha just read this "Finely divided uranium metal presents a fire hazard because uranium is pyrophoric; small grains will ignite spontaneously in air at room temperature."

So.. The great sword of vomiting and random second degree burns?

winnsanity

Uranium was once used to make all kinds of things before they knew it was radioactive