[Outdated] Marvin's Hot and Cold Pack IV

Started by RemingtonRyder, December 12, 2014, 12:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

So, just adding a tag doesn't really help much. I've gone a little further and added some cold weather/winter apparel. Very similar to dusters, jackets, pants and t-shirts but with improvements to the temperature offsets. I've also gone over the new PawnKindDefs and strictly specified the Cold or Winter apparel tag (or in the case of tribals, TribalWinter).

It needs a bit more testing, and I'm considering separating out the winter apparel stuff and the new pawns out into a separate mod so that you can turn it off when you're going to be playing on temperate or warmer maps. Also, there's the possibility of having the new pawns override the old ones - currently, they don't, so you may still randomly get original spawn groups.

RemingtonRyder

Okay. New version up. This one merges together the Winter Apparel Fixes mod and the Lamps, Lanterns and Kits mod, and adds a trader to carry some of the stuff added by them.

I want to add a few more kits, but it will have to wait for another day. :)

RemingtonRyder

I've added some new kits and I'm testing them tonight. Here's what I have:

Stonecutter's Kit - unpacks into a stonecutting table. Tested, works.
Smithing Kit - unpacks into a smithing table. Tested, works.
Stove Kit - you see where this is going, right? :) Tested, works. 'Need meal source' will appear.
Sculpting Kit. Tested, works.
Butchery Kit. Tested, works.
Steel kit - unpacks into a steel improvised turret. Tested, works.
Plasteel kit - unpacks into a plasteel improvised turret. Tested, works.

I forgot about the tailoring table somehow. Never mind, I'll add it when I'm happy with the ones I've done so far.

Anyway, one of the cool things about these kits is that you can select them as starting equipment in Prepare Carefully. You can also buy them from the new trader. This might be useful if you're landing on the ice sheet where you won't have access to wood for a long while.

Something I discovered tonight is that you can find patches of gravel on the ice sheet. It may not be very fertile, but it's good enough to grow some food indoors with a sun lamp.

SilverDragon

So, what about turrets!? :D Having a reserve of turrets that you can just flop out like a camping chair after pesky raiders blew up your previous ones sounds pretty good to me. Especially if Randy Random decided that it'd be hilarious to send three factions to raid you at the same time.

RemingtonRyder

Well, that's a tricky one. You can build turrets out of any metal now, but I haven't yet made a kit that can automatically inherit the stuff properties of the things it is constructed from. I could do a steel turret kit and a plasteel turret kit though, I guess. :)

Actually wait, I'm being dense. I can define the properties that I want on the kits, because they're being used as resource. Then I just use those as StuffCategories on the new turret. That's the (pardon the pun) stuff!

SilverDragon

Yeah I think steel and plasteel are enough, if you wanna build that golden turret somewhere, i think you deserve to do it the old-fashioned way :D

RemingtonRyder

RemingtonRyder

I ran into a little bit of trouble with the kit-based smithing table, but it seems like I'll be able to fix it. It seems to need a defined work giver, while the stonecutting table doesn't. Strange!

Okay no, my bad. I overrode the original stonecutting table and didn't notice, haha. So they all need work givers.

RemingtonRyder

Discovered a stuff system problem with the uranium-powered hydroponics basin. The cost list says 3 Uranium, which works out to needing 60 Uranium to craft. Expensive! :D

So I added an intermediate stage to making hydroponics kits. You first need to craft uranium cells, but you get seven of them from 20 Uranium, which isn't too shabby.

Sculpting is working now. Cooking also works, but because the stove is not the expected DefName, 'Need meal source' will show. Don't know if I can do anything about that. I also added prison meals, but I don't need to merge in Space and Prison Meals, as this mod will work with it. :)

Okay. All done. Enjoy the new release!

And yes, I'll get the Tailoring bench in at some point. :)

RemingtonRyder

So, I've started looking again at winter pawns, which I added not long ago. I'm currently testing an optional override, which uses the winter pawns as the defaults for outlanders, tribes, and pirates. In other words, you'll be able to use it as a mod to the mod, turning this feature on and off as desired. It seems to work just fine. :)

I think that I need to slightly increase the money that pawns get to spend on their apparel and see what happens.

SilverDragon

Nice! Well done, I've been testing the mod out for a bit and it seems very handy. I'll let ya know if anything comes up after some more intense testing, I'll try my best to break it. :D

RemingtonRyder

RemingtonRyder

Few little tweaks that I'm testing today. I've added a <MilitaryCold> and <MilitaryWinter> apparel tag. These are used by the Armour Vest.  Power Armour and Power Armour Helmet use just the <MilitaryWinter> apparel tag.

This is to hopefully avoid having villager outlanders showing up with an armour vest and nothing else on. :P  Which wasn't a problem until I added the <Cold> apparel tag to the armour vest earlier today.

Anyway, more testing! :)

Also adding in the kit-based Tailor's bench today.

RemingtonRyder

Hey guys! The latest version is out of testing. Check the original post for info. :)

RemingtonRyder

Something I noticed with the new kit turrets - you don't get any resources back when they explode. :P  This is likely because half of one kit (rounded down by default) is zero.

So I'll test adding some wreckage. The wreckage can then be salvaged for materials, at a smelter perhaps?

Also, while I'm thinking about changes, I've noticed that some winter pawns tend to blow a lot of their apparel money on expensive stuff, as opposed to warm stuff. I think that there's an easy enough fix for this, but I'll need to test it out. :)

Here's the good news. I was able to get turret wrecks in. The bad news is that the wrecks are the cheapest half of the turret, so if you build a plasteel kit turret and it explodes, you lose the plasteel.

I also made a couple of other changes which you can see in the top post under version 1.3.4 which isn't released yet.