What do I need to do to get my base indoors?

Started by darkhooly, December 12, 2014, 05:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkhooly

Hey guys, bought the game not so long ago and have been trying to figure it out since then, some things I already figured out but there are many more that I can't really understand. I need your help with the most crucial aspect of the game I think :P

The pic I attached shows my very first base, the idea was to build some rooms and then surround the whole base with a wall so a roof would pop up and cover my whole base in a single run, and here is the problem, the roof didn't appear as I've expected and since I'm living in tundra a very long winter approaches and I need to hide so my colonists won't freeze their asses off :P

The moment I've encircled the whole base with a wall there were still some bright spots left inside where the sun penetrated the interior, it surprised me but then i came up with an idea that perhaps the roof needs some support to be able to cover the whole base so I've constructed some pillars to get rid off the bright spots. To my surprise it didn't work.

The room is completely dark as you can see, in every part of the base where there are shadows it says " constructed roof" in the left bottom corner but it still says "outdoors" on the right. What do i do wrong? it's about time to put up some heaters and i just can't make the base act as, well, a base :P

Help  :'(

[attachment deleted due to age]

Lost Cause

Hmm. If I recall correctly a roof will extend 4 tiles from the nearest support (and in some cases glitch around objects like trees or solar panels) so to roof everywhere reliably you need a support column or wall every 8 tiles or so no?

This is just an educated guess, but I know the edge of a roof is blurred somewhat so if you have 2 edges meeting over a tile you cant really tell that the roof ends there. try hovering your courser between your columns and see if it tells you the roof type.
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

Cimanyd

You might also try covering the whole area with a no roof zone, then removing it and watching the roof-adding animation and seeing if there are any holes in it.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

darkhooly

I've used your suggestions guys and it worked, built some new pillars and been adding and removing roof and it turned out there was a hole in it. Why I have no idea, there were pillars all around and no trees or other high objects whatsoever, just a hole that I've patched with a single block of wall.

Thanks!