So what do you say about seasons?!

Started by Baloun, December 12, 2014, 08:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baloun

I would like to hear your take on new season mechanics! Personally I love them. It brings up nice new challenges, it can be very dramatic, funny... Also Rimworld is slowly being more and more dwarf-fortressy (which I love) with all the changes... It really made me play Rimworld a lot more now. It would be even nicer if there were a bit more complex tech tree, so you might need to create stockpile before winter (because you would need a lot more time to research power/heaters/hydroponics). Still... Wonderfull idea!

woolfoma

Quote from: Baloun on December 12, 2014, 08:10:43 PM
I would like to hear your take on new season mechanics! Personally I love them. It brings up nice new challenges, it can be very dramatic, funny... Also Rimworld is slowly being more and more dwarf-fortressy (which I love) with all the changes... It really made me play Rimworld a lot more now. It would be even nicer if there were a bit more complex tech tree, so you might need to create stockpile before winter (because you would need a lot more time to research power/heaters/hydroponics). Still... Wonderfull idea!
heaters being a research?
you do realise that electric heating is a thing that's has been around for a while in real life, let alone millions to billions of years in the future, i'm surprised that researching stone cutting (a extremely basic idea for humanity) take about halve the amount of time to research as how to put someone into cryptosleep for millions of years and wake them up at an instant at any point during that time.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...

It seems many of the Centipedes in the area have been driven insane.

wolfman1911

Quote from: woolfoma on December 12, 2014, 08:38:45 PM
heaters being a research?
you do realise that electric heating is a thing that's has been around for a while in real life, let alone millions to billions of years in the future, i'm surprised that researching stone cutting (a extremely basic idea for humanity) take about halve the amount of time to research as how to put someone into cryptosleep for millions of years and wake them up at an instant at any point during that time.

You realize that your colony represents three plus survivors of a ship crash without any apparent computerized knowledge base of any kind, or tools for that matter, right? It doesn't matter if humanity has understood stone cutting for however many thousands of years, could you and any random selection of people from the industrialized world be dumped on their own somewhere and then immediately build yourself stone structures without any research?

It's always been my understanding that the purpose of research on this game has little to do with how the people themselves understand the concepts involved so much as the practicalities.

Lost Cause

Logically there is no way that 3 random people could go from having a few bits of metal and wood and building a solar panel. That kind of logic doesn't quite fit into this game :p
If you want realism you have to assume they have at least some basic capacity to do small scale material manipulation at a miniscule scale and a library of knowledge to tell them how to accomplish such feats :p
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

christhekiller

I don't think heaters would be something we should expect to be a researchable option. As that pretty much stops anyone from starting a game mid-winter, especially if parkas get nerfed

codyo

The season thing is awesome, it makes the game feel like time is actually progressing now. And that the world is a bit more living.

Lost Cause

Quote from: christhekiller on December 12, 2014, 10:19:54 PM
I don't think heaters would be something we should expect to be a researchable option. As that pretty much stops anyone from starting a game mid-winter, especially if parkas get nerfed

Not necessarily... you could give options like wood burning heaters and the research option being electric heaters. Probably overkill though. If you can generate a current and shape a bit of metal you can make a heater. Which makes then the most primitive form of electrical resistor no?
Either way it is doable. but you would be venturing down the rabbit hole of catering to realism and that is an endless journey. The important part is fun :p

I can type X.x
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

Baloun

Allright then. I didn't wanted to argue, I just always find it questionable, how can simple barkeep build a solar panel from scratch etc. It doesn't mean that I dont like Rimworld - on the contrary!

Col_Jessep

I'm really enjoying the new mechanic!

Until now I rarely bothered with hydroponics or cloth industry and my power usage was minimal. Embarking in an area with only two months of growing time has changed a lot. You have to plan ahead, build an entire new infrastructure to preserve your food and stay warm. Where I often had several idlers before I find everybody is busy all the time now.

Seasons and temperatures have added a lot of depth to RimWorld without adding clutter.
(I'm looking at you, Toady. Really, we needed a new profession for gelding in Dwarf Fortress? Animal caretaker not good enough?!? =D)

The only problem I ran into so far was that animals don't respawn as much as I would like. I don't think there will be a lot of high quality meals this time around.

Planetary Annihilation Imminent