[α0.8] Having to throw away exploits, tricks and strategies from α0.7

Started by Chibiabos, December 13, 2014, 02:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

I had specially reserved meat in 0.7 and earlier for Fine Meals, and set it up so Fine Meals would ONLY go to either prisoners or sold to starships for a nice price, to help give morale boosts to prisoners and thus make it easier to recruit, even attacking Natives.  I could do this because food grown in outdoor farms was so readily abundant, I had more potatoes than I knew what to do with and it was easy enough to make Simple Meals from those.  I would almost never cook Simple Meals from meat, because Meat was a more precious commodity, as I could not grow more ... hunt too much and there just weren't enough animals.  It helped a lot that meat didn't spoil at all.

Now, however, the growing season restrictions makes it too difficult to maintain.  I can probably eventually get a good setup, but definitely cannot afford to hold back as much on making Simple Meals from meat.

Wish I could figure out a good way to be able to sell off perishables like meals or meat to trade ships like Bulk Foods that will buy them when the trade ships show up ... would be really nice in a future version if there were a way to sell things to ships that are in refrigeration-able areas (but unless its changed, SFAIK, I can't have a comms beacon in an indoor area :/)
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

christhekiller

You could move food out during the winter. If it gets cold enough it'll start freezing

Riftmaster

Currently for food preservation I wall off the food storage area (and herbal meds cause they decay as well), placing a cooling unit in the wall pointing outside, and set the temp to below freezing (usually 20 F).

So long as I have power nothing in that room spoils, and eclipses/solar flares have so far not lasted long enough for it to spoil - it just starts decaying and then refreezes when power comes back.