[TOOL] (Alpha 8) Rimworld Save Editor v1 Test Release.

Started by Neurotoxin, December 13, 2014, 03:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neurotoxin

I know you guys have been waiting for an update to the save editor for a while. I present to you the new and improved save editor!

Now, I need something from you guys, Try your damnedest to break a save.

What's different from the previous save editor?
Well, first backstories are now gender locked, although they may change your body type.
A massive refactoring has taken place (more like rewriting) so future updates should mostly only require updating the resource definitions.
The UI layout has changed somewhat and works much more smoothly and is less hackish in it's implementation.

Issues I know about:
Backup Manager isn't yet fully implemented, instead it will open your backup directory for you. Backups however DO work.
On clicking ok when prompted that there is an update it will take you to the old thread, fixed for the next release.

There shouldn't be any bugs that are directly caused by this software related to traits, thoughts(except one see above) or backstories however changing the above MAY have unintended side effects caused by what the game expects and what is actually there. Those same side effects could be had from editing your save by hand.

Source
Download
Wiki - Still needs some love
Virus Scan

I will also attach the download to this thread until it is too large to attach. Can't attach it right now for some reason :/
I'll pretty up this thread later on as well.

Enjoy and looking forward to your bug reports.

Rolling changelog (these are changes as I make them, which you can expect in the next releases):

*Confused Gandalf* Tooltips?
Fixed application's potential to remove traits from pawn that aren't found in defs without the user choosing to do so.
Changing between genders of pawns no longer causes the application to lag out. From 3 seconds per change on my computer to under 1/4 second to update.
Swapped location of childhood and adulthood backstory selection boxes to be more intuitive.
Some internal cleanup of hard-coded Def mappings, now using deserialization.
Externalized hard-coded def mappings to facilitate a simplified update process and mod compatibility, see note after the rolling changelog.
Updated forum URL for new update found.

Ok, some info on the externalized hard mappings of save data. On first run the application will create a folder structure, inside of whatever directory you placed it in, and extract it's packaged data into some folders. Example:

Rimworld Save editor-
    RimworldSaveEditorV1.exe
    defs-
        thoughts-
            thoughtsVanilla.xml
        traits-
            traitsVanilla.xml
        backstories-
            backstoriesVanilla.xml

The file names don't matter, the application will attempt to load any definition files it locates in the folders so I, other users, or mod authors can provide definition files for compatibility with the save editor. Below is an example of the layout of the traits file, the layout and node structure is what is important here:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ArrayOfTrait xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <Trait>
        <ReadableName>nudist</ReadableName>
        <DefName>Nudist</DefName>
        <Degree>null</Degree>
    </Trait>
    <Trait>
        <ReadableName>slowpoke</ReadableName>
        <DefName>SpeedOffset</DefName>
        <Degree>-1</Degree>
    </Trait>
</ArrayOfTrait>

I will create some more documentation on this on the Bitbucket wiki page (which I haven't created just yet) around the time this version gets released. There's 2 gotchas with this though. First, obviously, without a definition the application can't add modded traits/thoughts/backstories. Second, adding a modded trait/thought/backstory(further known as items) on an umodded save (i.e. You haven't installed the mod who's definitions you're using) WILL cause crashing, you can easily fix that by removing the modded item or restoring a backed up save.

weeee12100

wolf0x

Quote from: weeee12100 on December 14, 2014, 08:31:19 PM
where do i find the .rwm files?

Should be in the following folder C:\Users\@YourUserName@\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Saves

and thanks for the save editor Neurotoxin its good to have one that works again.

Neurotoxin

Quote from: wolf0x on December 15, 2014, 06:24:16 AM

Should be in the following folder C:\Users\@YourUserName@\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Saves

and thanks for the save editor Neurotoxin its good to have one that works again.

No problem, I intend to keep this working to the best of my abilities. That said, I' have pushed out an update by now if only for a few quality of life fixes (e.g. swapping the backstory slots, fixing the update link etc..) but I've been busy the last few days. My brother in law is in town for the holidays and is staying with us so things have been a bit hectic here. On top of that, my girlfriend's mmo just released a new character and I'm a nice guy so I'm letting her use my computer to she can play for a while with maxed out graphics at 60fps instead of on her computer within minimum at 15-30.

I don't know if nobody has been reporting bugs or there just isn't anything besides the couple of known issues. I hope it's the latter. I'll probably take some time out this weekend to polish this up a bit more, and try to push out an update.

I want to mention, like the previous save editor, this should be Mono Compatible, if anybody on mac/linux wants to try it out for me and let me know how it works I'd appreciate it. I'll add info to the OP about x-compatibility later but for the meantime you can find information on how to use Mono in the previous thread.

Save file paths are:
Windows : C:/Users/your user name/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld
Mac: /Users/your user name/Library/Caches/unity.Ludeon Studios.RimWorld
Linux: /home/your user name/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/

Edit: Changed file path separators on windows line to match... it was bugging me. Why do mac/nix and windows have to be different? Especially considering either one actually works on windows. :/

Iolanthe

Hi. I registered specifically to post here, because your tool seemed to be exactly what I wanted. Is there functionality for changing names? I imagine it's possible, if they're stored in a discrete location/variable. I'm doing an LP for some friends and wanted to name the characters after them :)

Cheers for any advice on finding how to do this.

Phoenix_Haze

I can't get the program to launch it keeps saying it's not a valid Win32 application. I'm running windows XP, I have no idea what the problem is.

Edit: downloaded it again to double check that it wasn't a corrupted download still broken

Neurotoxin

Quote from: Iolanthe on December 21, 2014, 12:36:31 AM
Hi. I registered specifically to post here, because your tool seemed to be exactly what I wanted. Is there functionality for changing names? I imagine it's possible, if they're stored in a discrete location/variable. I'm doing an LP for some friends and wanted to name the characters after them :)

Cheers for any advice on finding how to do this.

If you select a colonist in game in their information panel you can change their name, at least last time I checked, if not I'll add that in.

Quote from: Phoenix_Haze on December 21, 2014, 01:51:54 AM
I can't get the program to launch it keeps saying it's not a valid Win32 application. I'm running windows XP, I have no idea what the problem is.

Edit: downloaded it again to double check that it wasn't a corrupted download still broken

I honestly have no idea why that would be :( Do you have /net framework 4.5 installed?

Iolanthe

Quote from: Neurotoxin on December 21, 2014, 08:09:36 AM
If you select a colonist in game in their information panel you can change their name, at least last time I checked, if not I'll add that in.

You can change their nickname, but not their actual name. Normally that would be fine, but I was wanting to name the characters after people.

Neurotoxin

Quote from: Iolanthe on December 21, 2014, 05:51:18 PM
Quote from: Neurotoxin on December 21, 2014, 08:09:36 AM

You can change their nickname, but not their actual name. Normally that would be fine, but I was wanting to name the characters after people.

Ah, I've never actually used it so I didn't know that lol. I'll add the ability to change names in the next update.

Phoenix_Haze

I looked and apparently there is no 4.5 for windows XP it isn't compatible. Since micro$oft dropped support for XP there never will be 4.5 last update was 4.0 so sucks for me. Don't suppose you'd be willing to code an XP compatible version?

Neurotoxin

Quote from: Phoenix_Haze on December 22, 2014, 01:28:48 AM
I looked and apparently there is no 4.5 for windows XP it isn't compatible. Since micro$oft dropped support for XP there never will be 4.5 last update was 4.0 so sucks for me. Don't suppose you'd be willing to code an XP compatible version?

No problem, when I'm at my computer tomorrow I'll just rebuild the current release source against the 4.0 framework. I'll send you a pm when I upload it. I'll target 4.0 from now on to ensure compatibility.

Phoenix_Haze

Quote from: Neurotoxin on December 22, 2014, 01:39:02 AMNo problem, when I'm at my computer tomorrow I'll just rebuild the current release source against the 4.0 framework. I'll send you a pm when I upload it. I'll target 4.0 from now on to ensure compatibility.
Thanks man that is awesome hope it goes well, and sorry to make more work for you.

Neurotoxin

Quote from: Phoenix_Haze on December 22, 2014, 04:54:12 AM
Quote from: Neurotoxin on December 22, 2014, 01:39:02 AMNo problem, when I'm at my computer tomorrow I'll just rebuild the current release source against the 4.0 framework. I'll send you a pm when I upload it. I'll target 4.0 from now on to ensure compatibility.
Thanks man that is awesome hope it goes well, and sorry to make more work for you.

Haha, extra work, not really. Just changing a build setting, hitting a button, zipping the file and uploading it. I actually did it at some point last night and pm'd you. The longest amount of time exerted was waiting for visual studio to load lol. Anyway, for all the other XP users out there, for this build grab the winXP Compat version on the downloads page.

Phoenix_Haze

Thanks man this version actually launches for me no error :)

Neurotoxin

Good to hear. I'll build against 4.0 in the future. I want to make the application as accessible as possible to everyone possible so I'm glad you brought it up.