The Murderous Marble Royal Bed

Started by Col_Jessep, December 13, 2014, 02:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col_Jessep

In case you didn't know yet: The marble royal bed has a beauty of 99, rest efficiency of 94% and needs 1286 work units to construct as offset for the readily available material I guess. A wooden royal bed has a rest efficiency of 105%, beauty of 93 and only takes 198 work units. But it was winter and I was all out of wood... ;P

Now, I just deconstructed one of those fancy marble beds because I wanted to build a proper hospital bed in my medbay instead. The worker in question was a level 17 "revered master" in construction and it took a pretty long time to deconstruct the bed. So much time that he became "very tired" and was "starving". That's a -43 point mood debuff!

The poor guy got himself into some serious trouble over deconstructing that marble bed! I would like to request that deconstructing is either rebalanced or that our colonists take a break from deconstructing before they get themselves into trouble.

Because they will. They will kill themselves in the effort to deconstruct the bed!

I enabled construction on a lvl 3 dorf for testing. All stats are green atm.
Test begin at: March 12th, 22h.

Starvation and exhaustion have set in.

To my surprise Blue did not go berserk but kept soldiering on!

Sorry Blue, but you died for !!science!!
Time of death: April 2nd, 2am.

Yup, that's over two weeks to deconstruct a bed.  :o

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Darkfirephoenix

JESUS CHRIST! What a soldier your colonist was! Working 2 weeks to deconstruct a bed without eating/sleeping once! That's dedication!

But yeah it's kinda silly now how long it takes to work with stone as a building material. I would even go so far as to say it's plain stupid! It's totally blown outta proportion with the last update.

Think about it: In RL you would need only a couple of hours to complete a bed made out of wood (if it's already cut into planks/prepared) and a bed made from stone doesn't take that much longer, ESPECIALLY if you have the stone already cut into blocks for easier transportation/usage. The only thing that makes stone furniture take longer is transport, time till the "glue" is hard (to keep the stone blocks together) and the fine works (smoothen the edges etc).

Tynan please decrease the time needed to construct furniture again, this is just silly and imbalanced. Why should we EVER use stone furniture if the drawbacks are THAT severe? You could plant and nearly harvest a growing zone with trees (the fast growing ones) in the same time the construction of stone furniture takes (and the wood would be still more usefull in terms of stats, who needs beauty boosting stone furniture if you can use plant pots instead?).

Tynan

Lol, this is amusing.

All right, I've added note to myself to fix this up for Alpha 9.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Menuhin

That is pretty interesting and funny.  Personally I think its a good thing the balance Tynan is trying to add to stone items.  Although it may not be fully realistic the drastic change in time it takes compared to other materials, I think some draw back on using stone for everything needs to be in place.  As it stands I think stone is too good of a material.  Strong, nonflammable, beautiful, abundant (infinite), and cheap.  Personally I don't really see this as a need to adjust the time necessary on deconstruction.  But as a need to change deconstruction into a work needed project similar to the construction process, so people can take a break.

Sidrat

as great a story it is, it is marble after all, which is a tad more difficult to work with than wood.

When deconstructing items do we get 100% of the materials back?  Maybe it should be on a faster time scale but with a chance (5- 45%? harder - softer, ie marble - wood) of losing that material per tick.  I don't mean a one dice roll for 200 blocks but 50 dice rolls for 4 blocks each.

The stats above are of course pulled out of my head, the base stats could be higher and reduced for experience.

On the actual subject no one should work more than three days without seeking food at least.

Go on Tynan - make the AI more selfish and grant hunger/sleep as higher priority tasks.

Col_Jessep

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on December 13, 2014, 04:47:51 PM
JESUS CHRIST! What a soldier your colonist was!
Indeed! May her soul rest in peace live on in the backup save!

Quote from: Tynan on December 13, 2014, 05:05:27 PM
Lol, this is amusing.

All right, I've added note to myself to fix this up for Alpha 9.
Thanks!

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Dr. Z

So THAT'S the reason why the new research table took so long...
Prasie the Squirrel!

Endoric