Beginner question: where do you find steel?

Started by Christian, December 13, 2014, 10:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian

I have a ton of wood and stone, but I'm not sure how I acquire steel? Do I have to mine for it?

Klitri

Correct ! You mine into the mountains that look different from ordinary rock. If you select it, it should say "Compressed Steel"  :)

Thaimasker

You can also buy it with silver from certain trade ships

Dr. Z

You can see compressed steel in the middle of the picture, at the bottom left you see silver ore:

Prasie the Squirrel!

Visitor000

it would be nice if steel was gotten via coal and iron.
I am a creator of Worlds. I give birth to children of varying backgrounds. I manipulate and torture at a will, causing pain and suffering to all those around me. But am also merciful in some cases, bringing joy and prosperity when I see fit.

I am an Author.

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: Christian on December 13, 2014, 10:11:19 PM
I have a ton of wood and stone, but I'm not sure how I acquire steel? Do I have to mine for it?

Yes.   I've noticed in alpha 8 the random walls scattered around can be steel as well.  so you can claim the wall and deconstruct it.  I've learned the hard way to set a no-roof area over a wall before doing this as i've lost more than one pawn to collapse :(

Geff

Also beginner question, can ore be found inside mountain/hills or will it always only be the visible stuff along the perimeters?
In other words is it a waste of time to search for ores by digging deep into mountains where it all appears black

Cimanyd

There's definitely ore in mountains that can't be seen from the edge. Sometimes steam geysers or ruins, too, and in A9 the cryptosleep shrines will only be underground (for now they can be outside too). Also, sometimes there are areas of the map that aren't a mountain (are open), but are completely blocked off by mountains so you won't know about them until you dig through. Or you get told about a psychotic squirrel and "jump to location" takes you to an undiscovered area. (this actually happened to me)
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Geff

good to know! and while you are here, i couldn't find on the wiki or internet why my smithing table doesn't let me do anything, clicking on the Add Bill button doesn't open a menu or provide feedback :(

same with Tailor's workbench, do you know why this is?

EscapeZeppelin

Quote from: King Of Natlanta on December 14, 2014, 09:27:43 AM
it would be nice if steel was gotten via coal and iron.

Rimworld is a fallen Glitterworld. You're mining the ruins of buildings for metal, not extracting it from natural seams.

Dr. Z

Quote from: Geff on December 16, 2014, 05:11:15 AM
good to know! and while you are here, i couldn't find on the wiki or internet why my smithing table doesn't let me do anything, clicking on the Add Bill button doesn't open a menu or provide feedback :(

same with Tailor's workbench, do you know why this is?

YOu should post this on the bugs forum.
Prasie the Squirrel!