Override reserved stuff

Started by Wex, December 13, 2014, 11:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wex

Have you ever had one of those moments, when you need something done NOW - be it hauling something, repairing something, ot putting a D**N fire out -, and you have the right guy for the job, one square from there.
You select him/her and right click the task at hand.

"the stuff is reserved by X"

And X is half across the map.
The question is: why right clicking doesn't override this weirdness?
Why do I have to find X, draft him/her, reselect Bob who was a square from the job, and have him do it? Isn't it counterintuitive?
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

FridayBiology

Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

keylocke

Stan-K

+1

Simple, elegant, and a good Improvement.

I would like to add the similar situation can be solved too: "X is not a hauler/doctor/etc". Ok, so x is not a hauler, but if she is capable of it, for just this once, she should do it, just because I say so.

Menuhin

Quote from: Stan-K on December 14, 2014, 05:47:28 AM
Simple, elegant, and a good Improvement.

I would like to add the similar situation can be solved too: "X is not a hauler/doctor/etc". Ok, so x is not a hauler, but if she is capable of it, for just this once, she should do it, just because I say so.

Yea, what you said.

Dive

+1 should totally be changed.

iame6162013

Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Wex

I am glad to know I am not the only one who gets aggravated by this game mechanic.
I surely hope it would be changed soon!
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

siliconaut

+1! I will only say: firefighting.

Ackapus

I say +2 because both of those are good ideas.   So I have a useful task I just want done NOW, and the only person nearby is half the map closer than anyone else.
"Cannot complete: X is not a useful person. 
Override X to be useful against their lazy will.  Take -5 moral for a day while they sulk and wallow in their own self-pity."
"Cannot complete: Job Z is reserved by Y.
Override Y to complete Job Z with X.  Let Y actually go eat a fine meal because they're about to be urgently hungry and tired by the time they trek all the way out here pick up this one piece of metal that X for some reason didn't pick up even though they mined the stupid thing out of the mountain."
Bravery is not a function of firepower.

"'Son, be a colonist!'... is what Dad said to me.
'It's a cushy life and you'll get alien real estate for free!'"

tommonius

yes. just yes  8)
I like this idea so the colonist who was going to do the task originally can still do the same job, just haul another piece or stamp out some other parts of the fire and all in all reduces the micromanagement.

Kirkules

As far as AI goes, when colonist A overrides colonist B's task, colonist B should look for similar tasks in the vicinity (maybe a 5-10 square radius of his original task).

Matt NA

christhekiller

BinaryBlackhole

Speaking of ordering colonists you need to be able to to tell them to eat food.