Bunkers

Started by julsruls, December 14, 2014, 03:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

julsruls

Has anyone ever successfully made a bunker base or is it out of the question. I'm just asking because in -100 degree weather, i find it hard to fight mechanoids while my colonists are dying of frostbite.

christhekiller

A bunker? Like, built into a mountain? Cause that's the most common way of building a colony from what I've seen. Make sure your colonists are wearing toques and parkas (or power armor), they really help keep them from getting frostbite.

julsruls

Quote from: christhekiller on December 14, 2014, 04:57:23 AM
A bunker? Like, built into a mountain? Cause that's the most common way of building a colony from what I've seen. Make sure your colonists are wearing toques and parkas (or power armor), they really help keep them from getting frostbite.
I mean like sealing off completely from the outside without raiders or mechanoids being a problem.

Riftmaster

They'll just break down a wall to get in, I think.
That or drop-pod in behind the wall.

Best option is to build a kill room at the only entrance to your base - lots of turrets, one entrance that funnels them into a crossfire...

Fruit loops

I think he mean a base to where it is underground.

Raiders only try to break the walls for a certain amount of time so if you had stone walls 3 or 4 thick they would never get to you

you would have to have to have a power source and a food supply so you would have to have access to geos and hydros for it to work :P
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

Dr. Z

The sieges and the crashing ship part exist to prevent exactly this strategy. The only way to deal with this from the inside would be mortars in an unroofed area, but mortars aren't hitting shit. I tried to destroy a ship part with mortars. After 20 days it reached max psychic wave (-50 mood) which forced me to ga out in a last stand. Of course everyone died or went mad.

So it is theoretical possible, but not practically achievable.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Darkfirephoenix

I usually make the "heart" of my colony inside of a mountain (hydroponics, food preparation, beedrooms, dining area) and outside the not so important stuff (relativ speaking) including the workshops, open air farming, power generation (I prefer to have a steamvent inside the mountain.
The reason for my kind of layout is simple: Mortars. I HATE them! Especially if the sieging-party has 10+ ppl fully equiped and I only have ~5-6 ppl (why do they send 15 raiders for 6 colonists even if I have no turrets? -_- ). Most of the time I try to sit sieges out, simply because it's most of the time suicide to attack the siegers (and they have at least 2-3 ppl with sniper rifles in every damn raiding party I encountered so far and don't let me start with the M4s and charge rifles 3-5 of them carry...)

ZestyLemons

Two problems with sealing yourself off entirely:

1) Cabin fever (it'll get really bad)
2) Evil ship AI (it'll get really bad)
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Goo Poni

Quote from: ZestyLemons on December 14, 2014, 09:35:25 AM
Two problems with sealing yourself off entirely:

1) Cabin fever (it'll get really bad)

Shouldn't ever be a problem if your luck is anything like mine and every mountain ever has an open air pocket hidden away inside it, just waiting for you to dig into it and mess up your nicely designed living quarters, forcing you to dig elsewhere into the mountain because exposure means mortars.

skullywag

Doable if you only pick colonists with certain traits. Physically dumb is quite valuable in tgis regard.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

julsruls

Well I'm on an ice sheet with temperatures ranging from -110 to -130 Degrees Fahrenheit, besiegers usually die of hypothermia even in power armor before they even get the mortars built, if not, they usually get 1-2 shot off before dying.  mechanoids and crashed ship parts are a huge problem, mainly because i use 4-5 heaters to heat a small room and standing outside with a mortar is out of the question.  it makes it nigh impossible to even face one when my colonists are suffering from the cold in any sort of kill box.

ZestyLemons

How'd you start on an ice sheet? I thought they werent implemented. Nevermind, I read the -135F story. The ice sheet mod seems pretty neat.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

julsruls

yeah, it makes the temperature a real threat, parkas and toques only slow down the process, not stop it.