End Game Story Summary - Colony Scrapbooks - Can someone make this?

Started by spatula, December 14, 2014, 05:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spatula

I think the replay ability of this game comes from the stories that can happen... like that one time Vujiodir watched everyone die around him 3 times only to rebuild again and again before he ended up being warden to 10 starving ex-colonist prisoners who turned on him in a time of famine... or the time Strapping lost both of his legs in a mechanoid raid and became a peg-legged source of mental breakdowns from thenceforth until psychotic rage took everyone.. I want to see more of these story elements highlighted!

What I would love to see either as a mod, or a game function is:

- The game stores the pivotal events (ie. colonist dies, colonist joins, big raids, new technologies)
- Perhaps taking a screenshot of each event?
- At the end of the game, I'd get to see a summary of life events, like a scrap book, with a picture, summary of events and fake quotes from my fake little colonists. Maybe month by month a summary of events.

It would be nice to see something like:
"Month 1.
- snapshot of newly built base at end of the month with caption from colonist and random quote about new life on the planet
Month 2.
- first raider attack, a sole attacker named Bob
- New Colonist: Bob joins the colony thanks to Warden Strapping
- Strapping turned 34 this month
Month 3.
- Strapping dies in psychotic squirrel rampage, shot accidentally by Bob
.... etc, etc..."

Having pictures would be neat as well to tie in a visual memory of the event.

Ultimately, these "end colony scrapbooks" could also be given the option to "Export story to blog or an image/text file" or something that could take the story behind an individual's colony and post it to a blog or journal or something, which might end up being a good hook to bring in new players as the stories themselves might have a chance at going out to a larger audience. Also, we get more chance to share our stories from Rimworld in a way where the game takes out the work of manually snapping pics and captioning later.

PLUS, you could add a filter for "more detailed" stories including minor events, so I might only want to see a general overview, or a very specific beat-by-beat story.

I understand that Tynan is working on some kind of "end game stats", but I do hope they are more interesting than just wealth/stats graphs and such.. the pleasure in this game is the potential for personalized stories that emerge, so I'd love to see some kind of end-game story book, summarizing what this colony went through. I'd even go back to look at these stories later on if it was an in-game option to review "stories from past colonies".

Ideally, I'd like to see more variety in the in-game events too.. Like, instead of "this group is besieging the colony", make it "General Zao of the Kookamunga Tribe is leading a siege on your base" (and if you kill him, they'll all flee)... just more personalized events that make me remember "oh yeah, when the Kookamunga siege happened, that was the one where Cat and Stomp both got kidnapped.." as opposed to "one of the sieges"... just little touches that will make the in-game events more memorable!

Just throwing this idea out there!

TheXIIILightning

I see, that could be quite interesting to have. "This War of Mine" had a similar feature at the end of it, where every major even had a date and description next to it.
Though I can only see this being implemented after the game is released or via a mod (a very intricate mod).
For now we have the Statistics and timeline in-game. It lists all of the events that happened in your game.