Smoothing Stone Walls

Started by JonoRig, December 15, 2014, 07:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLHeart

Quote from: TonyKuremento on May 02, 2015, 06:06:31 PM
Quote from: TLHeart on May 02, 2015, 07:43:18 AM
oh but humans have carved into rocks, to tell a story, or leave a message, with no intent on staying. There are numerous such sights along the oregon trail, from the 1800 in the US. Humans have always left a mark of where they have been, and sometimes where they are going. 

So, as someone who has never played dwarf fortress, it is not DF domain, but a very logical outgrowth of an artist wanting to leave a message behind.

Yes but aren't we in some kind of super future? How do we know such things have not fallen out of a social etiquette by then, hmmmmm? I am just saying I want the rock walls to look better if they are mine and I use them as walls. I just think the stories thing is too far into what DF does because each world would need a plethora of event tracking upon the creation of said world.

But rimworld is all about the story telling, and leaving a record behind of the colonies story for future people to see fits very well with the backstory.

LittleGreenStone

I'd like my pawns to look at the smooth marble walls and be like "daaaamn, fancy as f...".

+1!

tylers2001

There is a difference between me and you. I'm the one still standing.

Toggle

Agreed, but the stone wall carving, I'm not going to go into all the fancy talk, just nah.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

wileama

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Veyda on April 22, 2015, 11:44:38 PMI understand that Rimworld is somewhat inspired by DF, however, warp- (or, at least, space-) age humans are not fantasy dwarves. Carving art and poems into walls and floors - in essence, the dwarf equivalent of cave painting - may seem appropriate and worthwhile in that culture, yet the functional significance of it is rather dubious and, given that citizens of a space-faring culture are more likely to put value in functionality, science and getting back into space, it seems quite unnecessary and inefficient. If anything, humans (if they are planning to stay for a long, long time) would smooth the walls and then hang up paintings and other decorations (that they are able to remove and take with them onto a ship later) to bring value and beauty up. Carving art into walls is permanent and implies the desire to stay - not just on that planet, but in that cave.. The desire to make and preserve history - hence the 'Fortress' in DF.

They are colonists - not crash survivors - even if they got to the ground in a less then perfect way, with less then what they wanted to bring, they are where they intended to be. Don't see why they wouldn't carve into the wall. The 'Taking off in the spaceship' is a place holder as far as I know (the same as the space traveling traders) - it could have just as easily bee 'build a really big temple' or 'burn this much plasteel for the lolz' - it really is just a 'once you have this much excess wealth, you have won'.

Kegereneku

Excuse me Mikhail Reign but I must disagree.

Regardless how Tynan decided to call them for simplicity (you weren't gonna keep calling them survivor 10years later), they are crash survivor and not necessarily here for colonization (some have the particular 'title' of Settlers, other don't). To justify that point I can create any amount of logical explanation using Rimworld lore to explain why their spaceship wrecked specifically here.
So it would be inadequate to force unto other the idea that Rimworld is about colonization and none of the 'forced colonist' want to run away from this dangerous place.

Of course it doesn't change one bit that they can want to smooth or carve thing in the wall.
This is something entirely separate and you are entitled to ask for it.

Me all I'm interested in is the "smooth wall", simple and efficient.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

TLHeart

the thing is, smooth wall would be a nice addition, that we can choose to do or not do.

so would be carving the wall, for decoration, just like making statues, or for story telling, just like statues.  Again, you choose to do it or not.  Options, multiple ways to play, is what makes a game replayable.

Toggle

Carving into stone walls would have problems. How would they carve into walls, how would you know the difference between them, would it carve on one specific face of the wall and how would you make it do that? You're talking about rock, which means it'll likely be in a cave and have sides blocked, if not just the 2 sides connected to other wall parts. You need a table to do everything else, how would you use it for carving stone walls? All in all carved walls would just not really fit. Make pieces of art if you want the beauty, not walls.

TLHeart

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on May 09, 2015, 01:06:14 PM
Carving into stone walls would have problems. How would they carve into walls, how would you know the difference between them, would it carve on one specific face of the wall and how would you make it do that? You're talking about rock, which means it'll likely be in a cave and have sides blocked, if not just the 2 sides connected to other wall parts. You need a table to do everything else, how would you use it for carving stone walls? All in all carved walls would just not really fit. Make pieces of art if you want the beauty, not walls.

If you can smooth the wall on ONE side, you can also carve a picture into that ONE side. Many people painted and carved directly on the walls of caves, so how does it NOT fit into the story telling of rimworld?

Toggle

That was one of the discussions here too, how would you make it smooth, would it effect only one side, would it make the whole block smooth even from one side? That's one of the problems.

Kegereneku

I suppose...
Suggestion : The smoothing order use a two-case selector, one is the circle where the colonist is standing, the other is the wall. Rotation of the selector done as usual.

Other difficulty might arise, can Tynan code it to allow 2 colonists to work on different face of a block, or at least consecutive work on each side ?
-------
Write an Event

Frankenbeasley

You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams

Lerxst

I might be missing the point, but doesn't building a stone wall inside the cave wall accomplish the same thing you're looking for?

Where I live, people have created houses and stores inside caves for years. They've all required plaster, concrete and/or additional stone walls to support the cave.

Kegereneku

To do that you have to mine the natural-wall, turn boulder into brick, then rebuild a wall.
It all depend on how hard you think it should be balanced to make a mountain base pretty.
-------
Write an Event