Smoothing Stone Walls

Started by JonoRig, December 15, 2014, 07:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akiceabear

Quote from: Lerxst on May 11, 2015, 02:12:01 PM
I might be missing the point, but doesn't building a stone wall inside the cave wall accomplish the same thing you're looking for?

Where I live, people have created houses and stores inside caves for years. They've all required plaster, concrete and/or additional stone walls to support the cave.

This

Veyda

I might be missing the point, but doesn't building a stone wall inside the cave wall accomplish the same thing you're looking for?

It accomplishes a similar result (negating the beauty penalty), but it is not "the same thing".

Firstly, it takes a lot more Work - the rock tile in question has to be Mined out, then the rock chunk needs to be Cut at the stonecutter's table (if you're lucky enough to have researched stonecutting by then), then, finally, the wall needs to be Constructed.
Secondly, we already have both the Smoothed and the Constructed floors. If Tynan thought that constructing is enough, he would have left Smoothing out entirely. So why not walls too?

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Veyda on May 11, 2015, 10:33:53 PM

It accomplishes a similar result (negating the beauty penalty), but it is not "the same thing".

Firstly, it takes a lot more Work - the rock tile in question has to be Mined out, then the rock chunk needs to be Cut at the stonecutter's table (if you're lucky enough to have researched stonecutting by then), then, finally, the wall needs to be Constructed.
Secondly, we already have both the Smoothed and the Constructed floors. If Tynan thought that constructing is enough, he would have left Smoothing out entirely. So why not walls too?

Agreed. It is kind of strange how beauty works ATM. If my memory serves right, even stone (marble, for example) walls have 0 beauty rating, while rock walls (as in the "mined-out-hole") has a negative beauty rating.
Even if smoothing would just increase its beauty to 0, it'd be better than nothing, while (in my opinion at least) walls should have a minimal beauty bonus.

Another point, aside from having to mine/craft/construct said walls: 9*x (where x is equal or more than 9) is the maximum space where two walls can support a roof, any more and the roof collapses. If someone has mined out a 9*x space, he(/she)'d either need to carefully mine out the 10th and 11th lines of walls, leaving single blocks behind to support the roof, or construct additional pillars -if that makes any sense to you folks.
Anyway, it can be extra annoying. ^^