Thin Walls

Started by erdrik, December 15, 2014, 08:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdrik

Fairly self explanatory, thin walls are cheaper weaker versions of walls that can built swiftly for early game, emergencies, or in areas where durability is not needed.
I suggest:
25% of the health of a normal wall(of the same material)
50% of the build time of a normal wall(of the same material)
~50% of the build cost of a normal wall(of the same material)
50% of the insulating effect of a normal wall(of the same material)
Slightly negative beauty.

Should allow conduit versions, but the metal cost(for the power transmission) is the same as any other wall.
Should still count the same as a normal wall for things like being indoors/spacious interior, ect..
Maybe conduit version have a risk of explosion in rain?

Obviously the "thin-ness" of the wall should be represented visually as well.

JonoRig

You mean a bit like a fleshed out vanilla version of the small walls mod?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2990.0

ZznoonzZ

The way I would do it would be to place the textures on the edge of a hex using the rotate keys to choose which side the hex the wall will be placed. The hard part would be to make it so that you can walk on the hex the wall is placed and the hex adjacent to wall but also make it impossible to walk through the wall... if that makes sense.

erdrik

Sorry for not responding sooner.
@JonoRig: No. The mod seems to be half walls that can be passed over. Basically re-skinned sandbags.
I want fully impassable walls, just thinner.

@ZznoonzZ: Yea. I would be fine with only center aligned walls, but it would be cool to have edge aligned walls too.

Johnny Masters

I too desire such thing, specially for the early game make-shift shelters, perhaps event some kind of tent (made of cloth or leather). Could even be a "pre-set" "building". Would work wonders with slower tech mods such as minami, or stone age.

Professor Cupcake

An edge-aligned wall that doesn't occupy the tile might be a good idea.

erdrik

Recent heat transmission changes make me hopeful for thin walls in the future. ;D