Hot/Very hot in the mountain

Started by Patrykbono20, December 16, 2014, 03:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrykbono20

How to survive in the desert, kicking a rock, where after installing the refrigerator when I have a cold room where the temperature is increased from foods such as up to 46 degrees. It does not help to mount a second cooler at the front door, and so during the night the temperature outside is 17 degrees in the middle of more than 40. And it was only in May.
Any advice?

Sorry for my english, its from google translator :)

killer010

ALPHA8 has added cooler and heater to satisfy the temperature indoor, check it

milon

Walls block heat/cold transfer completely.  Doors 'leak' a little heat or cold.  Use heater/cooler to adjust indoor temperature.  Use many doors in a hallway to prevent 'leak':
= (door)
# (wall)

#####
         #
         ###########
inside (cool)         ===             outside (hot)
         ###########
         #
#####

Snownova

Are you sure the cooling end is on the right side? When you place the cooler, the blue tile is the side of the wall that will be cooled and the red one will be heated. So you have to place the cooler on a wall.

waldo2000

Also you have to be sure that you vent the excess heat out side, if you vent it to an interior room it will eventually hit a max temperature and your cooler wont cool any further.

Goo Poni

Seems kinda silly that everyone's fix to doors not containing temperature completely is "build more doors".

EDIT:
I wonder if blast doors from TTM have to be used a little differently. I used those as my doors, which meant that the hallways leading from the entrance to all rooms in my mountain bases were technically outdoors and completely subject to outdoor temperatures, whatever the conditions out there may be. Like the rebel bases on Hoth. Just big cave mouths.

waldo2000

Quote from: Goo Poni on December 16, 2014, 02:22:50 PM
Seems kinda silly that everyone's fix to doors not containing temperature completely is "build more doors".

The doors only allow temperature exchange while they are open, if they are closed they are just as good as a wall. So by adding more doors you more or less create an airlock because the colonist will only hold two doors open at a time.

milon

Quote from: waldo2000 on December 16, 2014, 02:44:39 PM
The doors only allow temperature exchange while they are open, if they are closed they are just as good as a wall. So by adding more doors you more or less create an airlock because the colonist will only hold two doors open at a time.

Did you test that?  Because I have.  (Please, if I'm wrong, tell me exactly how.  I like having knowledge of game mechanics, and I really don't want to be misleading anyone.)

Mouse over a wall.  Any wall.  It's Outdoor, and will give you the Outdoor temperature.  Now mouse over a door.  Any door.  It's Indoor, and will give you an Indoor temperature of its own.  Now setup a corridor with one door in it.  Build one heater/cooler inside and let it run.  Check the Outdoor, actual door, and indoor temperatures.  They're all different, and the single heater/cooler can only do so much.  Build a couple more doors, let the heater/cooler work some more, check the temperature again.  It's working better now.  Why?  Because doors are kind of like insulators right now.  (Still testing - walls may not be perfect insulators after all.)

harpo99999

and doors that are blocked OPEN by (for example) a rock chunk STILL block the heat transfer. it seems that the temperature changes only happen when a door cycles between open/closed

milon

Quote from: harpo99999 on December 16, 2014, 03:34:18 PM
and doors that are blocked OPEN by (for example) a rock chunk STILL block the heat transfer. it seems that the temperature changes only happen when a door cycles between open/closed

That hasn't been my experience.  I tried something similar, and inside temp = ouside temp when you do that.  I even tried with a partially constructed door, and it didn't block temp either.  Haven't tried with a partially built wall though.

Mikhail Reign

Partially built walls block head. Colonists standing in a door way holding it open allows heat transfer between rooms.

milon

Good to know.  Too bad raiders can't walk through a partial wall.  Still no "good" way to weaponize temperature.  :'(

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on December 17, 2014, 12:03:05 AM
Partially built walls block head.

So, it's some sort of glory hole?

...God, I'm sad :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Mikhail Reign

Heh. Nah they are like anti glory holes - it's blocking head not helping it's distribution. Hehe I'm not gunna fix that spellin error. Too funny.