Hello, I'm Nuschler, and I'm a save scummer......

Started by nuschler22, December 16, 2014, 12:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuschler22

The first step to admitting a problem is, well, you know.....

My problem is so awful, I categorize my saves.  Beginning for the first save.  Setup when I get the ball rolling.  Mining.  Trader Ship.  Attack!  All so I can go back to an appropriate time when and if (more likely when) I do something stupid or mechs drop into my base directly.

I have a close affinity to my colonists.  Well, some of them.  And I don't like them dying.

christhekiller

I only really scave scum when I feel I'm being cheated in some way by the game. Like that one time a mechanoid was the second thing to attack, and I still hadn't been able to recruit the guy who attacked first. AAAnnnnd everyone still had the starting weapons.

Spent a good chunk of time picking at him but pistols and a Lee Enfield do not good mech killers make and the minigun eventually got to my guys.

H_D

Since I started playing computer games I always reload save if I die or make bad decission, I can't really think how else could I do it.

ShootyFace

I've been trying to just 'roll with it' the last couple updates, but if I'm pretty far along and something really unlucky or shitty happens, I'll reload. Only did it once in a game so far in 8, and that was because two incendiary mortar strikes in a row hit two of my geothermal generators and got the middle burning, so I had to just watch them die, nothing I could do. I'm of the mind that colonists should be able to get to any part of an object to put a fire out.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

Wex

I usually only reload if my colonists did something spectacularly stupid.
Like walking into a crossfire to grab some metal.
Or a hunting accident. I HATE hunting accidents.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Dr. Z

There was an event where I reloaded a save recently, but I can't remember why. Usually I never use an old save, only when feel really cheated. I'm used to it from games like FTL and X-COM Ironman, it just doesn't feel right to use an old save. Maybe these games teached my a cetain pride that I want to make it without relaoding. Although, I have to admit that despite playing the game since pre-Alpha, I never had a colony surviving a whole year. I always die after like 130 to 150 days max, most times to a huge attack.

Edit: I REMEMBER! It was when I failed to mortar a crashed ship part and it got to max psychic wave (-50 mood). I arrested two of my people beacause whey where close to 10% mental break point, but they actualy got to 4% and 5% without having one, so I reloaded to use them in a last stand (of course I died).
Prasie the Squirrel!

Fruit loops

I don't know if my difficulty is WAY down or something but i have got 30+ colonists and to year 5     
and building a ship and escaping.... on Casandra Serious challenge

but hell there are occasions were they game intentionally spawn a ship part in my base while a siege is going on and having had 2 tribal raids in the past 10 minutes, needless to say i think everyone that save scummed at some point :P 
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

Col_Jessep

I save scum if I accidentally kill an enemy I wanted to capture. And before major surgery I always make a save. Didn't have to reload for surgery yet but just in case I made a bill for the wrong leg... xD

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Listy

I'll save scum when the ship part arrives. I mean when the total fire power of your colony is a few short bows, and you're constantly struggling to defend yourself against enemy attacks, and normally have 2-3 people in hospital with infections, and then the Ship part lands...

Yeah? You think that's funny do you Cassandra? Guess what: I think save scumming is funny!

tommonius

Quote from: Col_Jessep on December 17, 2014, 06:36:50 AM
I save scum if I accidentally kill an enemy I wanted to capture. And before major surgery I always make a save. Didn't have to reload for surgery yet but just in case I made a bill for the wrong leg... xD

I am usually like this, yesterday their was a powerful raider with a lv17 in melee I figured he would be amazing, I had my own melee group surround and start beating on him, he knocked out one and began to abduct him, I routed and killed the rest of them and dismissed the rest of my army for fear of shooting him to death or to the point of him being useless.

My melee fighters hounded him and knocked him out just before he left the map with one of my original colonists and I was laughing... but then a single shot auto killed my chef I really need from the shooters I dismissed and was rushing back to save my colonist and on top of that loads were injured from the melee combat so I reloaded it.

and then I caught him with only minor injuries plus a moderately decent 2nd raider so lesson learned, save scum away if it is really important. Minor colonists and damage to bases I usually roll with the punches.

nuschler22

Quote from: Wex on December 16, 2014, 05:15:48 PM
I usually only reload if my colonists did something spectacularly stupid.
Like walking into a crossfire to grab some metal.
Or a hunting accident. I HATE hunting accidents.

I don't set any of my colonists to hunt.  I wait until the animals stroll by my colony and then use a turret to kill them (forced target).  If a lot of animals are nearby, I will lock all the colonists inside and then kill as many as I want.

milon

It's funny - I'm definitely a save scummer in other games (Elona, for example) but not in RimWorld.  I've reloaded a couple times in the past, but lately I've just been rolling with whatever the game throws at me.  Go figure.  ;)

keylocke

it's kinda hard not to savescum.. (the temptation is just so overwhelming)

sometimes i just want to play the game and experience all of the features of a new alpha while minimizing the rehash of previous playthroughs.

though sometimes i go full "ironman mode", but then sometimes i get lazy and savescum, and then sometimes i feel "cheaty" so i activate devmode.. lol.. sometimes i play with mods on, sometimes i stick to vanilla.. etc..

it's a sandbox game, so it's all in the player's mood i guess.

there's no "correct" way of playing a sandbox game anyways.. all of the rules people make to restrict themselves are purely subjective. :P

Dr. Z

I would actually appreciate an ironman mode where there is only one save always overriding.
Prasie the Squirrel!