Self illumination

Started by ITOS, December 16, 2014, 02:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITOS

I want to make decorative landing lights. Is it possible to have a texture that is self illuminating? I do not want them to light up an area so I can't use the glow function.

Rikiki

Does not the a glower with a range of 1 work for what you want?

By the way, what is the purpose of a light which does not light an area? ???

Igabod

Quote from: Rikiki on December 16, 2014, 02:57:51 PM
Does not the a glower with a range of 1 work for what you want?

By the way, what is the purpose of a light which does not light an area? ???

My guess is so that the item shows up in the night whether or not the area has a light in it. And yeah the glower range of 1 should do it. It will light up the tile the object is on and nothing else I believe. Either that or it will only light up 1 tile away from the object which would still look realistic enough.

JuliaEllie

Yes a glower of 1 radius will do the job but if you are looking for "real" self illuminated textures you have to go down to the Unity Layer and work with Self-Illuminated Shaders.
Whats the difference?

Self Illuminated Textures will ALWAYS be lit with the same intensity no matter what light source shines on them (or not) also they dont illuminate textures around them. Its like a glow in the dark effect.

Im looking into working with them for some sweet effects but there is so much on my list..

ITOS

Quote from: JuliaEllie on December 17, 2014, 05:35:41 AM
Self Illuminated Textures will ALWAYS be lit with the same intensity no matter what light source shines on them (or not) also they dont illuminate textures around them. Its like a glow in the dark effect.

Yeah, a glower doesn't look right for what I want. A white pixel in a glower will still be slightly grey at night and the area around it being lit up makes the contrast even lower.

Too bad there seems to be no way to do it without going deeper than xml.