Anyone know the explosion range of turrets?

Started by zenithar47, November 07, 2013, 09:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenithar47

I want to line up my turrets in a way that my base can be defended most effectively for the space I put it in, but they are either spread too far apart (raiders blow them up), or they are too close together and when one explodes, they all explode. Suggestions?

TripleZero

make them exactly 3 tiles from each other. Make a line of them and build a wall around your perimeter that forces them through a funnel.

zenithar47

Thank you kindly. Might be a good thing to add to the wiki (if I had an account there).

nnescio

Quote from: zenithar47 on November 07, 2013, 09:21:32 PM
I want to line up my turrets in a way that my base can be defended most effectively for the space I put it in, but they are either spread too far apart (raiders blow them up), or they are too close together and when one explodes, they all explode. Suggestions?

The turret explosion has a radius of about 3.5 tiles, and by default is centered on the southwestern corner tile (of the four tiles occupied by the turret):

You can rotate the turret during construction to reposition the origin point of potential explosions.

Also, you can pack turrets closer by putting walls between them. Those block explosions by acting as sacrificial barriers.

zenithar47

That is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you. I assume that it is all the same damage amount per square of explosion? The alternative would be for the explosion to lose force per square that it traveled outward, but it could go either way.

nnescio

Quote from: zenithar47 on November 07, 2013, 11:24:24 PM
That is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you. I assume that it is all the same damage amount per square of explosion? The alternative would be for the explosion to lose force per square that it traveled outward, but it could go either way.

Well it blows up full health walls no matter how far I build them away from the center of the explosion (assuming they are still within the blast template). I suppose I could do further testing with slag/debris. Will do that later.

Dragula

A turret with sandbags around it seems to damage only two tiles horizontal and vertical. Found this out with trial and error.

zenithar47

Quote from: Dragula on November 08, 2013, 01:26:22 AM
A turret with sandbags around it seems to damage only two tiles horizontal and vertical. Found this out with trial and error.

Is this true on both sides of the turret? Because in the diagram above (provided by nnescio) on the left side, it will take out three spaces, but on the right side only two spaces are taken out (depending on the orientation of the turret when placed). If sandbags took it down a space in each direction, that would be great. Good test idea, post here when you find out.

Dragula

Quote from: zenithar47 on November 08, 2013, 01:54:56 AM

Is this true on both sides of the turret? Because in the diagram above (provided by nnescio) on the left side, it will take out three spaces, but on the right side only two spaces are taken out (depending on the orientation of the turret when placed). If sandbags took it down a space in each direction, that would be great. Good test idea, post here when you find out.

I had multiple turrets blown up in the 90 days of my colony and only once had a chain reaction because of packing too close in the beginning. Now that i think of it, i keep 3 or 4 squares between them usually.

But still, i'll set up a test range. Blowing up turrets for fun, uuuuh sience. Almost sounds like mythbusters  8)

zenithar47

Exactly, FOR SCIENCE!! That's how most great stories start.

Dragula

But the two tile blast circle mayb be explained by using sandbags to dampen the explosion.
Wondering what the difference is between sandbags and solid walls. That means more turrets to blow up!

nnescio

Quote from: Dragula on November 08, 2013, 02:19:35 AM
Quote from: zenithar47 on November 08, 2013, 01:54:56 AM

I had multiple turrets blown up in the 90 days of my colony and only once had a chain reaction because of packing too close in the beginning. Now that i think of it, i keep 3 or 4 squares between them usually.

But still, i'll set up a test range. Blowing up turrets for fun, uuuuh sience. Almost sounds like mythbusters  8)

5th day of the 13th cycle
Dr. Schaefer here. The raiders attacked two days ago, and Lopez was near a turret when it exploded.  Miraculously, she escaped unscathed, and now she swears that that the sandbags protected her from the blast.

So here I am putting her theory to the test. For science.

Now, usually, a turret explosion covers around 7 meters (or about 3 and a half tile-lengths of those standard prefab tiles we have been using), with anything outside the radius remaining unharmed. If Lopez is right the explosion radius should be reduced.

Oh and I put several bullets into the turret already. Damn thing takes forever when you are trying to make it explode. Plus my aim is a little off recently.

Finally. Looks like it's about to blo...

...ow up. Yep.

Seems like Lopez was wrong. The explosion radius wasn't reduced at all. Myth busted... or is it?

I suppose more trials are necessar--

DAMMIT SCHAEFER THAT'S THE FIFTH TURRET YOU BLEW UP THIS WEEK!!!

It's off to the brig with you, Schaefer!

That's Doctor Schaefer to you!

Sky_walker

Wish this would be somehow marked in the game itself (perhaps as range is white circle - explosion should be red inner circle?).
Self-sustaining colony with hydroponic glasshouses.

zenithar47

nnescio, that last post of yours up there was GENIUS. It had me laughing for a bit, nice story! But yeah, now we know that sandbags don't dampen the explosion. But I have had a couple people (I believe) that survived an explosion next to a turret. Maybe the explosion doesn't do the same amount of damage towards colonists as it does to inanimate objects? Plus I wonder if walls would be any different than sandbags in your experiment.

You could test that by putting walls on three sides with sandbags around the outside and seeing if it still makes the same crater. MORE SCIENCE!!!

ShadowDragon8685

The explosion radius on a turret is exactly the same as that of a blasting charge sited at the southwest tile. Solid walls would reduce it, sandbags won't. Solid walls are also a PITA to rebuild.

Basically, if you locate your turrets with three squares between them, you're golden.
Raiders must die!