[A13] [POLL] Temperature Control v2.41 May 2, 2016

Started by Igabod, December 16, 2014, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which feature do you find the most useful in this mod?

E-Heated Floors
Small Fan
Small Heater
Industrial Heater
Industrial Cooler
I use a a couple of them regularly (comment below to specify which ones please)
I use them all equally

Igabod

This mod adds several options for better controlling the temperature of your colony.

Currently included in this mod are:

A small fan for cooling off small rooms
A small heater for warming up small rooms
An industrial sized heater for warming up large areas
An industrial sized cooler for cooling off large areas
And Heated floors for when you just don't want to take up any space with a heater.

The Industrial Heater currently uses the same texture as the vanilla heater so it isn't showed in the screenshot.

Licensing: Use this in any mods or mod packs you want, modify or keep it as is. All I ask in return is a simple link to this thread in your credits somewhere.

Credit is due to the following people:

Rilamus for doing the Fan and Small Heater textures.
   ItchyFlea for providing the core XML for the Fan and Small Heater
   Ded1 for suggesting the Industrial Heater
   KingOfAwesomnia for the EHeated Floors texture
   Rolf for suggesting the industrial cooler. Don't know why I didn't do it to begin with.
   Loki88 for updating to alpha 11 and 13 for me.

Change Log:

v1.0 - Initial release of both the electric powered heated floors and the non-electric heated floors as separate mods.
v2.0 - Added small fan, small heater, industrial heater.
v2.1 - Added industrial cooler.
v2.2 - Updated for Alpha 9.
v2.3 - Updated for Alpha 10.
V2.4 - Updated for Alpha 11 by Loki88.
V2.41- Updated for Alpha 13 by Loki88.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Iwillbenicetou

Will tone down on the meme's, but heck, this mod is awesome, especially with no energy. Which try to add in if you can.
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

elStrages

Totally agree, definitely a good thing to have in, it will be useful with all that snow.
But I do feel you need to add some electrical usage, .5 per tile or something
Also the (even though im crap at images) I feel they are bit or an eye saw especially if you have loads.

Ded1

The ones in real life use electricity, just very little.  They work on the same principle as an oven, using copper wires under the floor tiles (usually wrapped in some heat resistant plastic) that have a very small charge sent through.  This causes them to heat up and in turn heat the tiles.  Only difference is the oven is designed to deal with FAR more heat and energy.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

Igabod

wow... wasn't expecting any replies immediately after posting this. Ok I'll get the electrical use ones in later on but will have both versions available for people to choose from. As for the textures, heh that's actually the subdued version of it. I originally had a red line around the outside but thought it was a bit too loud. I'll work on doing a whole slew of textures for floors soon since now I can do textures for them that are one tile wide instead of making one texture for an entire maps worth of tiles. Needless to say, this isn't going to be the only flooring tiles I do now. And if anybody wants to submit their own designs for this floor tile or any other, I'll gladly accept them and if they are used then you will be credited in the mod. The images only need to be 32x32 or 64x64 pixels so don't go too crazy on details.

As for the real life heated floor tiles, yes that's one design that is in heavy use today. But there are new technologies being unveiled every year that actually don't use electricity. I happen to have gone to a convention not long ago that had one prototype floor system that used the weight of the person walking on the floor to force air through air channels to heat the air. That's what inspired this idea.

Ded1

Cool.  I'm actually surprised that would produce enough heat though.  Doesn't seem like it would.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

shadowstreaker

Would another version that uses steam directly be possible? like you can build a network of them from a steam vent and it'll warm up that whole network of them? Much like the way Romans were known to heat up houses and baths

securitycop

Quote from: Igabod on December 16, 2014, 06:58:46 PM
wow... wasn't expecting any replies immediately after posting this. Ok I'll get the electrical use ones in later on but will have both versions available for people to choose from. As for the textures, heh that's actually the subdued version of it. I originally had a red line around the outside but thought it was a bit too loud. I'll work on doing a whole slew of textures for floors soon since now I can do textures for them that are one tile wide instead of making one texture for an entire maps worth of tiles. Needless to say, this isn't going to be the only flooring tiles I do now. And if anybody wants to submit their own designs for this floor tile or any other, I'll gladly accept them and if they are used then you will be credited in the mod. The images only need to be 32x32 or 64x64 pixels so don't go too crazy on details.

As for the real life heated floor tiles, yes that's one design that is in heavy use today. But there are new technologies being unveiled every year that actually don't use electricity. I happen to have gone to a convention not long ago that had one prototype floor system that used the weight of the person walking on the floor to force air through air channels to heat the air. That's what inspired this idea.

GREAT JOB i like it but i too feel maby a little energy consumption not as much as R.L. but a much scaled down version

ethier way i will be using this mod!

Igabod

Quote from: Ded1 on December 16, 2014, 07:41:55 PM
Cool.  I'm actually surprised that would produce enough heat though.  Doesn't seem like it would.

It wouldn't in just a normal house. It was intended for high traffic areas like lobbies of banks or something like that. But I figure in the future the technology will progress to a point where it'll be possible for use in homes too.

Quote from: shadowstreaker on December 16, 2014, 07:58:20 PM
Would another version that uses steam directly be possible? like you can build a network of them from a steam vent and it'll warm up that whole network of them? Much like the way Romans were known to heat up houses and baths

I don't know. That would be a tricky thing to do. This is basically a copy of the camp fire object that has been edited a bit to allow it to be built on and also not have the fire animation. I'll look into that, but I don't have much confidence that I'll be able to pull it off on my own. If I can then I'll certainly add that in, it sounds really neat.

And as for the texture, I've added a different version that is hopefully less of an eyesore than the other one. It is in the attachments for now and can replace the HeatedFloor.png file within Mods\HeatedFloors\Textures\Things\Building\Misc\ if you prefer it. A screenshot of it in game is also on the OP for now. If it gets better reviews than the other one then it will be included in the next update which will also include the electrically powered version. If it doesn't then I still have about 20 more to choose from that I just whipped up between my last post and this one, including a different wood floor texture than vanilla.

Dave-In-Texas

so a single tile of this in each room keeps the entire room warm?
wow. way overpowered but very cool :)

Igabod

Quote from: Dave-In-Texas on December 16, 2014, 09:09:39 PM

yeah, but one tile only puts out a small amount of heat per second (I think 0.5 per second iirc), so if you have just 1 tile it will take forever to actually warm the room up to 75. The more tiles, the faster it warms up. If it turns out to still be too powerful then I can always reduce the amount of heat per second per tile. Please leave any feedback from use in game since I'm not able to play as much while working on all my mod ideas.

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: Igabod on December 16, 2014, 09:24:34 PM
Quote from: Dave-In-Texas on December 16, 2014, 09:09:39 PM

yeah, but one tile only puts out a small amount of heat per second (I think 0.5 per second iirc), so if you have just 1 tile it will take forever to actually warm the room up to 75. The more tiles, the faster it warms up. If it turns out to still be too powerful then I can always reduce the amount of heat per second per tile. Please leave any feedback from use in game since I'm not able to play as much while working on all my mod ideas.

a very good point.  I'll be glad to give it a go :)   your insight on recent new technologies in the real world is also cool!

Iwillbenicetou

Let's see the other options, but I like the newer one definitely.
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Igabod

Quote from: Dave-In-Texas on December 16, 2014, 09:57:19 PM
your insight on recent new technologies in the real world is also cool!

I'm a jack of all trades. I tend to learn a few interesting things about as many subjects as I can. My main focus in educating myself is in science, history, anthropology, archaeology, and botany as well as several other areas of interest.

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on December 16, 2014, 10:18:11 PM
Let's see the other options, but I like the newer one definitely.

There is a third option in the E-Heated Floors I just uploaded. I'll work on getting a screenshot using all of my flooring tiles in one pic to give everybody a chance to see all the options. Some of them are pretty awful though. They look far better when zoomed in 1600x than they do in the game. I'll continue working on them though and I'll give everybody a chance to decide which one I use. And don't forget that you can submit your own textures and I'll use them if enough people like it. I fully support collaboration in all of my mods.

[edit to add] Screenshot added to OP

MFWIC

I actually use this to heat my workshop that's not attached to my house - though in principle it's not electrical elements in the floor - it's a network of 1/2th inch ID PEX tubing that the concrete floor was poured over, through which hot water is circulated.