[A13] [POLL] Temperature Control v2.41 May 2, 2016

Started by Igabod, December 16, 2014, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which feature do you find the most useful in this mod?

E-Heated Floors
Small Fan
Small Heater
Industrial Heater
Industrial Cooler
I use a a couple of them regularly (comment below to specify which ones please)
I use them all equally

Loki88

I will have a go at making a texture for the wood heater. Was also thinking of making a 2x1 texture for the industrial heater modeled off a torpedo heater unless you have one already, at 150,000+ BTUs IRL I'd say they're pretty industrial. As a benchmark, the furnace for my entire house is only 60k.

Igabod

Quote from: Loki88 on December 21, 2014, 08:34:00 PM
I will have a go at making a texture for the wood heater. Was also thinking of making a 2x1 texture for the industrial heater modeled off a torpedo heater unless you have one already, at 150,000+ BTUs IRL I'd say they're pretty industrial. As a benchmark, the furnace for my entire house is only 60k.

If you are willing to give it a go and make a texture I'm willing to use it if it looks good. I'm always open to people contributing.

Loki88

This is what I could pull off this morning while getting used to using gimp. not sure what perspective you want since rimworld seems to use front on for some things, 3/4 top down for others, and top down for others still. will make a 3/4 version some time today hopefully. If you like this one, awesome, if not, suggestions for improvement would be greatly appreciated since this is my first crack at making a rimworld texture.

If anyone would actually like to use this feel free, if you have suggestions for improvement they are much appreciated from anyone with experience... or anyone at all actually :p

[attachment deleted due to age]

killergold88

I really enjoy this mod and check it regularly, so thank you for a great great great mod. Gives some flare to an infant area of the game.
My input for the industrial things. I think they should be large. maybe 2x1 or 2x2 even. Thats my opinion. Something that looks like it should probably be outside. Maybe even consider that for the heater, make it similar to the cooler and make them walled.
It would be interesting to see if there is a way to code some of the furnaces like the crematorium to throw heat (even intense heat) as well, or some of the work stations like the slag smelter.

Suggestions for new ideas: In the vein of the wood burning stove, how about a fireplace?

Rilamus

Really good textures Loki, Especially since you're not used to gimp. You should keep up the awesome work!

And Killergold, Igabod said that he was already planning on making the industrial heater larger and the cooler too (if possible)
but that fireplace idea is amazing.

Igabod

I've finally gotten around to looking into the wood burning heater/fireplace suggestion. It's not possible to do without a .dll and my C# skills just aren't good enough to do that myself. If I manage to get a C# guru who isn't too busy to help then I'll definitely add it in. But until then it's not going to be possible. I'll probably get around to updating this mod in the next few days with a larger sized texture for the industrial heater for sure and possibly the cooler if I can do it. I appreciate all the suggestions and will do everything I can to add them to this mod as soon as I can.

Loki88

Thank you for looking into it igabod. Sucks that its not practical to implement but such is. Hopefully by the time it can be done my texturing ability will be up to snuff, cheers!

isblimidar

You should make the heated floot invisable. maybe make it visable when placing another heating or cooling element (kind off like when u place a electrical element)

Anduin1357

Dave-In-Texas

I'm not sure why.. but an industrial heater I used for a tree-greenhouse in the frozen north (not quite tundra lol)  After 5 months I finally noticed it was consuming around a ton of, electricity, 6565 to be exact..  (+5188 to -1377)  i didn't notice anything in the description about it using quite THAT much electric!

I have another that is inside my base and it uses the declared 175w.

it might have something to do with outside being -24F and i want it to be 56F but...  thats a lot of power.  In fact it wiped out my hydro crop before i understood what  was wrong.   I looked at the thingdef and I don't see anything odd but then i'm not familiar with this aspect of modding.

I replaced that industrial heater with a pair of normal heaters to have about 6k electric :-p

I use a lot of mods: Core, EdBModOrder, EdBPrepareCarefully, EdBInterface, M&Co. Common, ED-Core, Miscellaneous_182b_HiRes, LessIncidentTrolling, Celing Light, CryptoHax, ED-LaserDrill, ED-OmniGel, ED-Plants24H, ED-Vent, M&Co. MMS, PowerSwitch, SimpleMedicineCraft, Floorspikes, XtraPlants, TemperatureControl, ScratchPack, EW - XP - ComPatch, AlphaTweaks, Rainbow Road, Turrets Pack, ED-Shields, ED-Embrasures, ED-AutoLoader, ED-Stargate, ED-VisibleRadius, Canned Food, and Vas's Hydroponics - Steel

edit: precision + information

Igabod

Quote from: Dave-In-Texas on January 08, 2015, 02:50:17 PM
I'm not sure why.. but an industrial heater I used for a tree-greenhouse in the frozen north (not quite tundra lol)  After 5 months I finally noticed it was consuming around a ton of, electricity, 6565 to be exact..  (+5188 to -1377)  i didn't notice anything in the description about it using quite THAT much electric!

I have another that is inside my base and it uses the declared 175w.

it might have something to do with outside being -24F and i want it to be 56F but...  thats a lot of power.  In fact it wiped out my hydro crop before i understood what  was wrong.   I looked at the thingdef and I don't see anything odd but then i'm not familiar with this aspect of modding.

I replaced that industrial heater with a pair of normal heaters to have about 6k electric :-p

I use a lot of mods: Core, EdBModOrder, EdBPrepareCarefully, EdBInterface, M&Co. Common, ED-Core, Miscellaneous_182b_HiRes, LessIncidentTrolling, Celing Light, CryptoHax, ED-LaserDrill, ED-OmniGel, ED-Plants24H, ED-Vent, M&Co. MMS, PowerSwitch, SimpleMedicineCraft, Floorspikes, XtraPlants, TemperatureControl, ScratchPack, EW - XP - ComPatch, AlphaTweaks, Rainbow Road, Turrets Pack, ED-Shields, ED-Embrasures, ED-AutoLoader, ED-Stargate, ED-VisibleRadius, Canned Food, and Vas's Hydroponics - Steel

edit: precision + information

I have no clue what could be causing that. The Industrial Heater is a clone of the standard heater with higher numbers for energy cost and heat per second. Nothing in it should cause the energy cost to go any higher than what it is set to in the XML. All I can think of is that it is a bug within the game itself. I've never noticed that problem myself, but I'll do some focused testing to try and replicate it later today.

BeingBen

Was a little bit bored today with the start of classes, made this in my spare time. Thought you might like it.

*figured I should add in this was a quick design for the industrial-heater* the fins are a little off i believe i need to redo it for a correct perspective angle

Igabod

Quote from: BeingBen on January 12, 2015, 08:40:56 PM
Was a little bit bored today with the start of classes, made this in my spare time. Thought you might like it.

*figured I should add in this was a quick design for the industrial-heater* the fins are a little off i believe i need to redo it for a correct perspective angle

It does look nice. But the perspective is wrong. And if you are planning on making it rotatable it needs 3 different views. Front, Side, and Back views are needed. I appreciate the effort you put into doing this though, so thank you. :)

xanatosxan

Commenting on the poll. I use the industrial coolers and small fans a lot because I tend to play a lot in arid shrub-lands and hotter climate area. They are a life saver during the hot seasons and definitely during heatwaves. I also use the industrial coolers in my prison area either using the exhaust heat to cook rioting prisoners into submission(or just for torture purposes when they were previously destructive to my to my base/colonists) or freezing them out which is effective when harvesting certain organs that may kill the prisoner or when needing to freeze rioting prisoners out(or inflicting frostbite on prisoners who again were very destructive prior to imprisonment). I and my colonists by extension are not very forgiving to those who would attack my colonies.  ;D  Seriously though, the mod has helped out in my games so thank you for putting together such an awesome mod. Would it be possible or even applicable to make an industrial fan to act as the small fan's industrial component? Just a final thought and suggestion but as I think on it that may very well be unnecessary and easily could unbalance the mod as a whole but I'll leave that up to you to decide.

Igabod

Updated for Alpha 9. Didn't need to make many changes to this to get it working. It seems Tynan was very kind to me for this update. My Xtra Plants and Biodiversity mods won't be so easy to update though. Aside from the .dll files needing to be updated, the XML is full of errors now too.

[edit to add] Also, voting on the poll has been reset. I'm interested in seeing if the results have changed.