[W|0.8.657] Bionically augmented colonists don't use melee weapons

Started by Evelyn, December 16, 2014, 07:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evelyn

Version Found - Alpha 8e

Title - Modified colonists prefer using bionic arms to melee weapons with greater damage

Summary - I made a Plasteel Longsword and gave it to one of my colonists to test it out. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the unfortunate Test Muffalo being beaten to death by my colonist's bionic arm, doing 9 damage as opposed to the Plasteel Longsword's advertised 20.

Steps to Reproduce -
1. Give a colonist with a bionic arm a melee weapon
2. Have the colonist attack an enemy.
3. Look at the details of the damage in the target's health tab
4. Cry as your power-armored colonist is murdered by a squirrel because she won't use her weapon.

Expected Results - Colonist with 15 melee skill takes up sword and butchers all which stands in her path

Actual Results - Colonist decides she is a boxer rather than a swordsman.

Wex

Actually you should see a mix of damage, from both the sword and the arm.
I noticed this, when I firstly gave a club to a power clawed colonist.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Evelyn

I saw that in Alpha 7, with the power claw as you said, but in alpha 8 with a longsword and bionic arm the colonist only ever used the bionic arm in my tests.

Panzer

Yeah that bug needs to be adressed. Also double power claws/scyther knife protusions do nothing, maybe we can get something like a minor increase in damage or attack speed, would be cool :)

Xom

Quote from: Panzer on December 17, 2014, 11:12:55 AM
Yeah that bug needs to be adressed. Also double power claws/scyther knife protusions do nothing, maybe we can get something like a minor increase in damage or attack speed, would be cool :)
I would like to second this opinion. It would also be nice if a colonist armed with a power claw would be considered armed for the purposes of hunting.

Evelyn

That's generally a bad idea though, wildlife can cause some nasty wounds even on people with power armor and power claws if they get into melee range.

SuperCaffeineDude

Yeh my fully augmented trooper consistently uses his bionic arms over his sword, though the weapons function as you'd expect when hunting (the hand item is used). It was a little unexpected and made me a little sad having invested quite heavily in upgrading the dude. Hopefully it gets fixed next build.

Utherix

Quote from: SuperCaffeineDude on December 31, 2014, 09:16:06 PM
Yeh my fully augmented trooper consistently uses his bionic arms over his sword, though the weapons function as you'd expect when hunting (the hand item is used). It was a little unexpected and made me a little sad having invested quite heavily in upgrading the dude. Hopefully it gets fixed next build.
Just use the Cybernetics Storm mod to get the Exoskeleton and enjoy watching him rapidly punch limbs off enemies.