How about circuit breakers?

Started by Cassey, November 07, 2013, 09:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassey

Just had a 34MW explosion do to a power conduit short...

It was described as "A really big explosion.  Wow!"

Any chance for an expensive, but useful, circuit breaker system?  You could even limit the amount of current flow like in real life, so that one conduit isn't carrying everything (or have increasingly expensive bigger ones).

Like all events, it would be nice for there to be some way to prevent, or at least minimize them.

Crop failure is another one.  I'm good with all the crops in a room dying, but all the crops across the continent?

Dragula

I'm all for circuit breakers, both automatic as manual to enable sectioning the base.

but 34MW?? One battery hold 1 KW, meaning you have 34.000 batteries  :o

Cassey

Hmmm... Tis was I get from posting from memory.  I probably had 34 batteries - I was in a cave and had a huge empty room I used.  Sorry.

In any case, the AI was very impressed with the size of the explosion.  Basically started a chain of events that killed me.

Dragula

So the explosion from short-circuit is increased? I once had all the energy from 184 batteries discharge and it only damaged 4x4 area.

Cassey

Quote from: Dragula on November 08, 2013, 02:25:55 AM
So the explosion from short-circuit is increased? I once had all the energy from 184 batteries discharge and it only damaged 4x4 area.

Actual blast damage in the cave, with earthen walls was small, but it started serious fires that quickly spread.  I now know that potted plants burn nicely!    I wonder if carpet does as well???

willow512

I like the idea of circuit breakers :)

I kind of got the impression that short circuits only occur when your batteries are full and your energy generators are overproducing. I took to shutting down generators that I don't need and have seen very few short circuits since.

What are your experiences?