Oxygen and Rebreathers

Started by FangoDango01, December 17, 2014, 05:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FangoDango01

Not every planet should have an EZ ride with nice clean oxygen and even if they do have oxygen whos to say other components might not be present to make it toxic? So I think planets where you must use emergency supplies of oxygen via rebreathers and such should be added. Also oxygen/gas mask gear for people to wear, and I think the escape pods should each come with one emergency oxygen mask and tank, (maybe add an extra accessory slot to colonists or pockets, etc).

This would also be great if in the future you added space maps to live on.... even space station maps. Or even Z-levels (like map switch triggers saved to some psuedo level numbers) with some kinda space elevators.

Anyway, this could also work into RUINED WORLDS as a biome type, or even genned planet map type. In this world acid rain happens, dilapidated buildings are scattered everywhere, with signs of nuclear warfare and radioactive dust clouds forcing people into mountains or behind reinforced walls utilizing features such as

1. The air vents from the prototype build but reworked to be more realistic

2. Air and oxygen having an affect on the health of people, so suffocation or even combat chokes are a thing

3.Poison via gas, or biowarfare from enemies or even to control animal populations on HOSTILE planets. Making research more important.

4. The ability to add things like vacuum later on for bad ass amazing space maps or DLC (I'd pay for single player space station DLC..... with cultists.. and robots... and asshole witty A.I.)

6. Supports all the wasteland/fallout fans vision of gameplay and adds tons of options for modders.

7. If you had a universe this large chances are many planets are inhospitable wastelands and who is to say the ship didnt have troubles while orbiting one before leaving its orbit something happened and you were forced to crashland on it? And were met with the planets SURVIVORS....

I applogize if all of this had been said before but since you just added temperature im guessing the game can handle things like air simulation aswell having a tie in to health, since the temp value of the local area can impact the health state it should be easy to add in another oxygen isBreathable and oxygen oxygenQuality to the code. Maybe not EASY but doable atleast!

Thank you Sir, for the quality of development you've shown the indie gaming community.

Cactus

I like the idea of having oxygen levels being an element like temperature. I have been wondering recently too if the current temperature features could be hijacked and use to simulate air.

Maybe later on in the game if its considered.

Klitri

Remember that the rimworlds we land on were at some point terraformed by terraforming drones.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my opinions  ;D I think it's a great idea, and I've personally wanted something like this for quite some time.

Cactus

Quote from: Klitri on December 17, 2014, 07:09:49 PM
Remember that the rimworlds we land on were at some point terraformed by terraforming drones.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my opinions  ;D I think it's a great idea, and I've personally wanted something like this for quite some time.
Even so I think it would be awesome to have the chance to land on a barren airless rock and have to worry about temperature on top of oxygen and making airlocks.

Like I said its probably within the realm of modding now. I thought about it but school and work eat my time up bad.

tommonius

This would be fantastic on a challenge mode, other hard modes like dropping into extreme temperatures of hyper digressive creatures would all be fun times : D

BinaryBlackhole

Not airless more like poison levels less air meaning you will be ok for a while or toxic gases that you can survive in for a while but will soon die airless is just to hard.

FridayBiology

Great idea, personally i'm waiting for differing day rotations and seasonal lengths.

lower oxygen than normal and your tired more, immunity drops.
richer oxygen levels and you could develop sickness and visual issues.
> more oxygen = more fire, so yay for lightning.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology