HYDROPONICS ARE WAY UNDERPOWERED!

Started by Quasarrgames, December 17, 2014, 09:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igabod

Quote from: skullywag on December 18, 2014, 03:39:05 AM
Fish? I love growing my own stuff. Plz explain da fish.

The fish exhale carbon dioxide which the plants soak up and convert into oxygen. This keeps the water aerated and also keeps algae from forming in the reservoir. You'll need to not use chemical fertilizers for this method, but organic fertilizers work just as good from my experience. Putting fish into a water storage barrel that you keep outside is also a good way to keep mosquitoes from laying eggs in it.

[edit to add] and by fish, I mean something like Goldfish or Koi or something. You don't need to go catch a trout and throw it in your water reservoir or anything. Just a few goldfish from the pet shop for 25 cents each or something will do fine. I think you need at least 1 goldfish per 5 gallons if I'm not mistaken. 2 per 5 would be better though and the fish still have plenty of room.

Mathenaut

So if hydroponics don't grow faster, don't grow at night, and essentially just suck up massive amounts of power..

Then what is the point of hydroponics?

BassMonroe

When I play boreal forest I just build a big rectangular building (Wooden) with no floor and then I put my growing zone inside with a sun lamp and a heater, job done no need for hydroponics and uses less electricity :-)

Cimanyd

Quote from: Mathenaut on December 19, 2014, 03:41:20 AM
So if hydroponics don't grow faster

Where are you getting that from? Did that change in A8? I haven't actually used any hydroponics in A8 yet (they're expensive and I don't need them) but hydroponics were growing plants much faster than soil in A7.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Igabod

It seems Vas has solved some problems discussed here. check out Modular Hydroponics

Vas

Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Amaror

I aggree with this. Hydroponics are pretty garbage as they are right now. The power cost, great metal cost and the problems with power outakes are just not worth the tiny increase in growing speed. Too bad Tynan seems to want to force us to use them anyway since he removed the fertilizer pump.