Some questions suggestions after playing for.. um.. what day is it?

Started by Idlemind79, December 17, 2014, 11:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idlemind79

This is a brain dump near midnight. Yes some of these are stupid, and probably answered elsewhere, I looked at a few pages of posts prior.
Some of my questions about future features I realize probably can't be answered at this time. I tried to move the dumbest ones down to the bottom of the list. :)

Why do I need medicine to remove bionics from a corpse?

I've cooked hundred of meals but don't seem to be getting better at cooking?

Do visitors or hostiles ever try to steal from your stockpile or beat you to drop pods? Will they?

What's up with the medieval weaponry? Guns seem plentiful. Is there going to be craftable armour at some point?

Does the size of the room on the hot side of the refrigerator have any bearing on the cold side of the refrigerator? Can the hot side be 1 x 1 tile? Does the size of the room on the cold side increase the power requirement of the refrigerator? I noticed my freezer was always above 0 due to people opening and closing the door so much.. nice touch. The colder you set it, the hotter you make it? How do positive temperatures work? Is that for the hot side then, ignoring the cold side.. i.e. it's now a heater unit?

Can the wind generators please be changed to rotate to face the wind automatically, like a normal modern wind generators.

Are there going to be rivers, fishing, and other ocean / water related stuff?

Why use anything other than wood for your structure and furniture? (flammability I guess being the obvious one)

Think friendly factions will ever betray and attack you if you amass enough wealth? (If they are not honourable I guess). Maybe your visitors will take note of what's in your stockpiles.. making it essential to have a stockpile in a vault for your valuables... instead of on the front lawn.

Anyways thanks for reading.. just bought this and am having a blast, this is the essence of pc gaming, and for early access it's surprisingly stable and bug free so far.  A few more layers of content / elements and it'll be my go to for a long time.

Edit: Off to read the wiki I totally forgot about.  ::)

Drahkon

1 might change, doesn't make sense to me either.
2 it's rather slow.
3 not at this time.
4 right now only cloth type gear is craftable but think of it as near armor at the high end.  Who knows if ammo will be added later, can't stop at the gun store to get more really so those knives and sticks might be real handy. Also when your enemy swarms in close it effects your pawns ability to fire, a few good melee in the right spots can slap em down fast when they try.
5 as the hot room gets hotter/ the cold room gets colder, the cooler gets less effective, yes room size effects both. Temp setting effects cold side only.
6 wind direction has no effect at this time so it doesn't matter, it'd be graphical only.
7 only one person knows =)
8 high value metals like silver and gold have high beauty, but not much other reason than that aside from liking the looks.
9 not at this time, but who knows what the future may hold.

Snowpig

@1: to sedate the guy who is about to be made an operation on.
@3: visitors do not do it, animals eat your food away if it is not behind some walls/doors
@7: there are biomes with limited/unavailable wood in the beginning.

ZestyLemons

@ Question 1:

It's apparently a bug that you can remove bionics from corpses all together. Sorry to disappoint.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

ccheuer

Why do I need medicine to remove bionics from a corpse?
Because you need to sanitize the parts.

I've cooked hundred of meals but don't seem to be getting better at cooking?
Burnt Spaghetti doesn't count.

Do visitors or hostiles ever try to steal from your stockpile or beat you to drop pods? Will they?
They used to. Then they brought their own meals.

What's up with the medieval weaponry? Guns seem plentiful. Is there going to be craftable armour at some point?
Because some societies have been completely cut off from the means to produce better items, therefore they make what they can.

Does the size of the room on the hot side of the refrigerator have any bearing on the cold side of the refrigerator? Can the hot side be 1 x 1 tile?
Not that I've noticed.

Does the size of the room on the cold side increase the power requirement of the refrigerator?
Yes/No. If the room is too big for it to actually attain that heat, then I believe so yes. Otherwise no.

I noticed my freezer was always above 0 due to people opening and closing the door so much.. nice touch. The colder you set it, the hotter you make it?
Believe so.

How do positive temperatures work? Is that for the hot side then, ignoring the cold side.. i.e. it's now a heater unit?
Yes, therefore its great to have your cook room small and next door, because it's effectively free heating if the room is small enough.

Can the wind generators please be changed to rotate to face the wind automatically, like a normal modern wind generators.
Give em time to wind up. I've never had issues with "facing the right way."

Are there going to be rivers, fishing, and other ocean / water related stuff?
There are already lakes and such, so I would assume yes, but other things rank higher atm.

Why use anything other than wood for your structure and furniture? (flammability I guess being the obvious one)
Durability is also a huge reason. One explosion and your wood walls are done. Stone walls take 3-4.

Think friendly factions will ever betray and attack you if you amass enough wealth? (If they are not honourable I guess). Maybe your visitors will take note of what's in your stockpiles.. making it essential to have a stockpile in a vault for your valuables... instead of on the front lawn.
They used to. Then they brought their own meals. Also, you should always vault a separate supply of goods, not so much so people don't steal it, but more so that you can trade all of your stuff, and still ALWAYS have stuff to build, because if you don't have a beacon on it, you can't trade it. Also, there are occasional pirate raids where they drop directly on your beacon.

FridayBiology

why don't visitors steal silver if no-one if looking or if silver is not in Home zone :P
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Drahkon

Noticed I missed something first read through regarding coolers.
Unless I'm mistaken the heat reduction on the cooling side is total (like -whatever per second), and that reduction is spread out to all the tiles in the room, and each tile in the room 'leaks' heat too/from outside through the roof/floor. Thus the more tiles in the room the more it leaks heat and the more the cooler has to run to keep it cool. When the cooler is on it draws much more energy than when it's off. Once there are too many tiles in the room it won't be able to keep them all cooled even running full time.

If the room the heat is being pumped to is too small and the heat has nowhere to go it's temp will shoot up very high, and from what I've seen there's a limit on how much of a temperature change the cooler can handle from one side to another.  Either pump the heat into your base to warm it in the winter, outside, or into a room with a hole poked in the roof to release the heat. I usually have a set of coolers pointed into a roofless room, and a set pointed into my base, and turn them on/off as seasons shift from hot to cold. Use a multiple door airlock to help keep your fridge cold, open doors shift heat rather quickly. This is also good for exterior doors that are frequently used.

The temperature setting effect when the cooler turns on and off.

If cool side is > set temp, cooler turns on mooving heat from the blue side to the red side
If cool side is < set temp, the cooler turns off, uses little power and does nothing.

Idlemind79

Quote from: Drahkon on December 19, 2014, 12:24:16 AM
Noticed I missed something first read through regarding coolers.
Unless I'm mistaken the heat reduction on the cooling side is total (like -whatever per second), and that reduction is spread out to all the tiles in the room, and each tile in the room 'leaks' heat too/from outside through the roof/floor. Thus the more tiles in the room the more it leaks heat and the more the cooler has to run to keep it cool. When the cooler is on it draws much more energy than when it's off. Once there are too many tiles in the room it won't be able to keep them all cooled even running full time.

If the room the heat is being pumped to is too small and the heat has nowhere to go it's temp will shoot up very high, and from what I've seen there's a limit on how much of a temperature change the cooler can handle from one side to another.  Either pump the heat into your base to warm it in the winter, outside, or into a room with a hole poked in the roof to release the heat. I usually have a set of coolers pointed into a roofless room, and a set pointed into my base, and turn them on/off as seasons shift from hot to cold. Use a multiple door airlock to help keep your fridge cold, open doors shift heat rather quickly. This is also good for exterior doors that are frequently used.

The temperature setting effect when the cooler turns on and off.

If cool side is > set temp, cooler turns on mooving heat from the blue side to the red side
If cool side is < set temp, the cooler turns off, uses little power and does nothing.

Great post! I will definitely try the no roof trick