[WIP] Saloon mod.

Started by A Space Ostrich, December 25, 2014, 03:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Space Ostrich

The Saloon Mod will be created with the goal of providing an alternative play experience for Rimworld. Currently, Rimworld is largely about surviving the environment in the short term, and large quantities of raiders in the long term. Still a ton of fun, but I'm interested to see what other challenges can be introduced. The Saloon mod is the beginnings of some more drastic gameplay changes I hope to implement through modding in the future. In order to create this mod, there are several steps that must be completed in order, outlined below. I will update this post with mod progress, "ticking off" steps when they are completed.

Step 01: The relaxation need.

I must add a new need. I anticipate that this part of the mod will be by far the most difficult, perhaps rivaled only by Step 02. This need will be called Relaxation, and is different from the previous needs in that it degrades significantly more slowly than Hunger or Rest. There is actually a Step 00 for the mod, and that is figuring out whether Step 01 and Step 02 are actually possible, as if they aren't the mod will need to be redesigned heavily.

I will also be setting up several of the existing in game tasks so that they sate this need, if possible. Currently I hope to make it so that working on a job that you have a burning passion for will provide small amounts of relaxation, and eating/sleeping will also provide small amounts. Not enough to properly sate it, but enough to slow down the degradation process.

Step 02: Jobs.

Once the relaxation need is implemented and some already existing tasks have been set up to sate that need, I have to implement at least one new job, ideally two. These Jobs are the Relaxation job and the Bartender job. Bartending will entail serving the booze, cleaning the bar and hauling things like bottles and other things. Bartending may also have Brewing implemented into it, or I may attach brewing the booze to Crafting or Cooking, or perhaps even make a third job just for Brewing. Relaxation as a job would be used to control a colonists priorities. Setting relaxation to 1 would make the immediately go and sate that need, while turning it off would make them work themselves into an early grave.

Much like everything else in the mod, figuring out whether what I want to implement is possible is a big part of development. Step 02 will probably grow to incorporate the creation of new zones, as I imagine a Bar zone will be needed to get the bartender to function properly.

Step 03: Asset creation.

Step 03 is probably going to be the easiest step (I say, knowing full well I just cursed myself), and is simply the creation of art assets and more importantly game assets. Creating new objects to be placed in world and defining how pawns interact with those objects.

-------------

So, what do you think? If any of you know whether some of the things I want to attempt are possible or not, please let me know, as that will save me potentially hours of searching and experimentation.

I don't need any art to be done, as I'm actually an artist, not a programmer, on the flipside, if any enterprising mod authors want in on this project let me know and I'll see what we can do as a team.

Thanks to Tynan and the rest of the team for creating such a great game.

pafka

Hi there. I actually had a similar idea about the relaxation/entertainment need.

I implemented a proof-of-concept mod which introduces this new need, a building (called tv booth) where colonists can relax and if they don't have this option, they will get bad thoughts from lack of entertainment. So I think the idea is implementable, though maybe a bit clumsy since I don't think that the framework supports this level of modding too well. But I guess it is doable. As for prioritizing the relaxation jobs, I am not sure about that, from what I have seen the priorities are fairly fixed, but I may be wrong (you can turn the "job" off and on, yes, if that's what you mean). But satisfying the entertainment needs via some sort of drinking events would be possible I guess.

Let me know if you have any questions about the implementation.

[attachment deleted due to age]