[V0.8.657] Graphics:Select Landing Site Screen and Overlapping Tiles

Started by To9, December 18, 2014, 05:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

To9

Version Found: 0.8.657 rev38318

Select landing site screen greyed out instead of showing image. Tiles in game are clustered and overlap in weird places.

Summary: I have tried creating more worlds, but they are all greyed out. Have also tried starting the game from a freshly extracted rimworld folder, but the bug is still there. Restarting my computer doesn't help either, nor does changing resolution/graphic quality settings. I don't know the exact moment the bug happened, but I think it just popped up randomly ca 2-3 months into my save. (one session). Everything was fine before that.

Steps to reproduce: Fresh rimworld copy. Start game from a shortcut. Resolution 1776x1000. Graphics quality: normal. Create a world with the seed "tony". Colony location: (29. 79E. 14. 04N.). Choose basebuilder on Casual difficulty. Play for 3-4 months.

Attachment:
Select landing site screen: http://i.imgur.com/r1BlT6J.png
Tiles overlapping: http://i.imgur.com/x5v8TE4.jpg

I included a DxDiag as an attachment.

[attachment deleted due to age]

To9

Ok for anyone else having this issue I kinda fixed it. It seems that the issue was partly due to outdated AMD graphics drivers/faulty DirectX files. After noticing issues in other games too, mainly League of Legends (the game would shut down with error message "DirectX error"), I decided to download the latest AMD Catalyst Control Center as well as the latest DirectX version. This fixed both my LoL error and the graphical errors in Rimworld.

One important thing to note is that if I alt-tab out of the game the graphical errors pop up again. It's a bit annoying, but playing in windowed mode prevents this issue completely in my experience so far. I do think that this is a compatibility issue with the graphic card or something though.

TL;DR: Fixed by updating DirectX and drivers for AMD Radeon HD 5700. Issue pops up if alt-tabbing out of fullscreen. Play in windowed mode to avoid problems.

Tynan

Yeah, definitely looks like a driver issue. Thanks for posting the fix.

The map disappearing after alt-tab is a known issue.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog