[MOD] (Alpha 9) RTG's (Power Source) v1.11

Started by ItchyFlea, December 18, 2014, 09:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

RTG's v1.11

Description:

This mod adds a new power generator to the game. An RTG (Radioisotope thermoelectric generator). It uses Uranium as part of it's building requirement and produces a steady amount of power at all times. It produces 750w of power.
Since it is an RTG, it also produces heat. You'll need to keep the room it is in cool otherwise it will cause fires.
This mod also adds an ASRG (Advanced Stirling radioisotope generator). It requires a heck of a lot of research. It produces 1250w of power.

Mod Team:
Download:

[attachment deleted due to age]
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Ded1

So any possibility of making a mod that adds more heating/cooling devices?  It's pretty much impossible to heat/cool large spaces without needing a ridiculous amount of devices to do it.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

Raufgar

Hahaha, I was wondering when someone would put in RTGs into RimWorld. What with us putting raw Uranium on open air stockpiles and such :P Kudos to the Rimworld Cat! And I hope your fleas did not mutate...

Master Shinzy! Your kind assistance is required!

Some reference material
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

Igabod

Quote from: Ded1 on December 18, 2014, 09:29:34 PM
So any possibility of making a mod that adds more heating/cooling devices?  It's pretty much impossible to heat/cool large spaces without needing a ridiculous amount of devices to do it.

Have you seen my Heated Floors mod yet? I'm also about to start working on a fan object that uses far less electricity than the cooler and doesn't exhaust heat. It will also not cool nearly as efficiently.

Ded1

I commented on the thread and am the one who brought up the electricity using ones lol.  I am talking about more powerful heating methods though.  so i can heat my mines without having 50 heaters (or 500 of your floor tiles).
Feel Good Modpack

Igabod

Quote from: Ded1 on December 18, 2014, 09:56:59 PM
I commented on the thread and am the one who brought up the electricity using ones lol.  I am talking about more powerful heating methods though.  so i can heat my mines without having 50 heaters (or 500 of your floor tiles).

Ah I see. You want a central heating unit type thing that is more effective than the vanilla heaters. I might be able to whip something like that up. It looks like Heated Floors is going to change names into Heating and Cooling mod or something.

Ded1

Feel Good Modpack

Rilamus

Hey great mod! I'm glad someone finally made RTGs anyway I made a texture, it took me about five minutes to make so it's not that great. it's just a slight update if anyone really can't stand the default texture

[attachment deleted due to age]

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Rilamus on December 18, 2014, 11:14:08 PM
Hey great mod! I'm glad someone finally made RTGs anyway I made a texture, it took me about five minutes to make so it's not that great. it's just a slight update if anyone really can't stand the default texture
I can't stand the default texture. Thankyou for posting this. I've included it in the mod to replace what I drew and given you credit.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Igabod

Quote from: Rilamus on December 18, 2014, 11:14:08 PM

I'm jealous... something like that took you 5 minutes to make? I don't even have the patience to find out how many hours something like that would take me.

jacob814

I still cant stand the texture... I'm going to try to make another one that is a little better suited for the rimworld art style.
My Mods:
Glass&Lights

Loki88

Could these be scalable? As in you could research a more powerful rtg but with higher risks etc, maybe even a containment breach event or something. I'm just looking for a buildable indoor power source that isn't contingent upon lucking out on a geyser popping up in a mountain. I'm all for having associated risks involved since it has to have some kind of draw back to keep things balanced and interesting.

Vaperius

Add a research topic. These machines are very complex devices, colonist's shouldn't immediately know how to use or construct them.
I remain Vigilant.

Vas

I don't think RTGs cause conduits to explode.  They produce such tiny amounts of power, that they are otherwise useless.  A single box in an RTG produces 16 watts, using 2 marsh mellow sized bits of plutonium-238.  The RTG I saw had 8 of these, giving it about 128 watts of production, while being about the size of a car engine once it was encased in protection and such.  It produced extremely minimal heat levels but would provide power for 87.8 years, degrading over time until the radioactive fuel source decayed into U-234 which has a double cluster emission decay, which can't power in the same way an RTG works, so it is useless.  On the plus side, it lasts 245,500 years in this state.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

jacob814

So back to my post yesterday, I didnt really like the old RTG texture so... I made a new one:

Picture Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t73y6urlfuuri5f/RTG.rar?dl=0

Also... To make this a bit more balanced, make the heat produced from this thing quite a bit more, if their is vegetation near it, make the vegetation burn. The last thing is to make the amount of metal you need triple of the amount that is now. Once you have that I think Ill be happy with this mod.
My Mods:
Glass&Lights