Horrible job inefficiency also known as that farmer who doesnt haul his harvest

Started by Smikis, May 12, 2015, 04:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smikis

Quote from: TLHeart on May 13, 2015, 12:27:13 PM
do you continue working when it is your time to eat? no you go and eat. so do the colonist.
Crops lay in the fields after harvest, until the haulers show up to haul them away, in real life, why should the game be any different?

You must be living on different planet, because that's not how it works here and it doesnt matter if its big commercial farm field or small strawberry/potato field at your country side house, there are no such thing as gatherers and haulers, both are one and the same.
Yes harvest usually stays on the ground until the end of the day when everything is hauled ( my other suggestion) and workers usually eat in the fields. That is for all day harvest, if you are just going to harvest a bag of xxx vegetables/fruits , because your mom/someone ( not you )  is cooking dinner , do you go to the fields, harvest it and leave it there, so the cook has to haul it himself (which what happens in the game if storage room is empty ), or you harvest and haul it back? 

And this is only considering that growing is interrupted by eat/sleep, heck I had my growers do other jobs with lower priority for w/e reason, or switch after planting 2 seeds and so on.. which makes it even worse.

Toggle

The idea of having a pawn haul something right after deconstructing/mining/harvesting is bad. The idea of a pawn hauling back as much as they can carry depending on what's around them and their route back, sure, although I'd imagine it wouldn't be as easy to make as it sounds, as it also needs to compute will it take a detour to put it in the stockpile that's x amount away, if it's 1 more then x amount away, it wont?

We have no better solution at the moment then the idea of them hauling back whatever they can carry if going near a stockpile. That's the best solution, that's the best suggestion here, not much else to debate.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

RemingtonRyder

If I may make a suggestion, perhaps a colonist with the Hauling and Growing jobs should (if Hauling is higher priority than Growing) do hauling of produce only when either there is a full stack of the thing they are harvesting, or when there are no more of that crop left to harvest in the close vicinity.

Thusly, when harvesting rice (which yields 3 per crop) the grower would harvest exactly 25 rice crops, notice that there's a stack worth of rice on the ground, and then do the hauling.

The advantage of this: if you have a dedicated hauler, then a full stack of that particular produce may not build up on the ground, so the grower will keep on harvesting and planting. If you have a dedicated grower and a hauler/grower, then the second guy will stop to haul things back but the first one will keep on going.

Sound reasonable? :)

TLHeart

Quote from: Smikis on May 13, 2015, 03:03:07 PM
Quote from: TLHeart on May 13, 2015, 12:27:13 PM
do you continue working when it is your time to eat? no you go and eat. so do the colonist.
Crops lay in the fields after harvest, until the haulers show up to haul them away, in real life, why should the game be any different?

You must be living on different planet, because that's not how it works here and it doesnt matter if its big commercial farm field or small strawberry/potato field at your country side house, there are no such thing as gatherers and haulers, both are one and the same.
Yes harvest usually stays on the ground until the end of the day when everything is hauled ( my other suggestion) and workers usually eat in the fields. That is for all day harvest, if you are just going to harvest a bag of xxx vegetables/fruits , because your mom/someone ( not you )  is cooking dinner , do you go to the fields, harvest it and leave it there, so the cook has to haul it himself (which what happens in the game if storage room is empty ), or you harvest and haul it back? 

And this is only considering that growing is interrupted by eat/sleep, heck I had my growers do other jobs with lower priority for w/e reason, or switch after planting 2 seeds and so on.. which makes it even worse.

Go and watch the vegetable fields, of california, arizona, florida, and see that the pickers do NOT haul the produce back to the cooler, that is the haulers job. The pickers work in the field until quitting time, then they all head home ,regardless of what is left to haul to the coolers.