Observed Corpse

Started by slauenbach, December 20, 2014, 02:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slauenbach

Why is it that when 15 raiders attack me and i kill all of them in my kill box every single colonist in my colony goes absolutely INSANE because they observed the corpse and just leave the colony because they get so insane. WHY!!??

milon

Psychological warfare.  ;)

You have to take care of their mental states as well.  Make beautiful things, feed them good food, don't over work them, etc.

tommonius

^ all true, I just wish as the waves get larger and happen fairly frequently that your colonists would become "desensitized" to the situation and no longer suffer the mood penalty.

christhekiller

Aye. You're gonna want a few psychopaths so you can get them hauling and cremating corpses without having your colonists go insane.

shenzya

observed corpse seem OP atm ...

http://imgur.com/a54kLQ2

i don't know how to clean that.

Ironvos

War is hell man, just watch Rambo 1 :)

Cimanyd

Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

jack020

Quote from: Cimanyd on December 20, 2014, 07:36:44 PM
It's a bug.

Observed corpse x3 isn't capped at 3 at all, thats the problem. if there are 22 corpses you get 22 x Observed corpse.

gonna fiddle with "Thoughts_Memories" myself, see if i can get that limit working.

jack020

ok weird..

from the original:

-<ThoughtDef>
<defName>ObservedLayingCorpse</defName>
<duration>10000</duration>
<stackedEffectMultiplier>1</stackedEffectMultiplier>
<stackLimit>3</stackLimit>

-<nullifyingTraits>
<li>Psychopath</li>
<li>Bloodlust</li>
</nullifyingTraits>
-<stages>

-<li>
<label>observed corpse</label>
<description>I saw a dead body laying on the ground.</description>
<baseMoodEffect>-2</baseMoodEffect>
</li>
</stages>
</ThoughtDef>

i removed : <stackedEffectMultiplier>1</stackedEffectMultiplier>

and now it's capped at 4 (4x-2 = -8)

<stackLimit>3</stackLimit> only seems to write the text x3 behind observed corpse in thoughts.. so where is it getting this 4 from then?

Added:

so if you remove: <stackedEffectMultiplier>1</stackedEffectMultiplier>
and change :<stackLimit>3</stackLimit> to <stackLimit>4</stackLimit>

then i gues that's a temporary hotfix.

what you put into <baseMoodEffect>-2</baseMoodEffect> is up to you.

Ruin

It is really a crippling bug for folks that want a long-term colony.  Eventually the raids get big.  I already lost one to insanity after beating the raiders.

Kelian

Quote from: jack020 on December 20, 2014, 08:07:34 PM
Quote from: Cimanyd on December 20, 2014, 07:36:44 PM
It's a bug.

Observed corpse x3 isn't capped at 3 at all, thats the problem. if there are 22 corpses you get 22 x Observed corpse.

so thats why i set it to 0.5. but tbh if that eventually even gets to high i just set it to 0 till it's capped at 3.

gonna fiddle with "Thoughts_Memories" myself, see if i can get that limit working.

I thought I noticed this. I just laid out 31 pirate raiders and all my people are basically fetal position crying themselves to sleep for defending themselves... I mean yeah it sucks, but they were there to KILL you...

Goo Poni

I try to argue with a friend that yes, seeing lots of bodies is depressing for a colony but my friend stands firm that a 2 year old colony that's bore a raid every couple weeks for those two years should be desensitized and emotionally dead at that point.

Cimanyd

It's obviously a bug. The number doesn't go higher than 3, even with a much bigger effect, and before A8 it just stacked up to x3 and stopped. If it were intended, it would say "Observed corpse x50, -100" not "Observed corpse x3, -100".
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

xlockeed

Quote from: Goo Poni on December 21, 2014, 01:15:06 AM
I try to argue with a friend that yes, seeing lots of bodies is depressing for a colony but my friend stands firm that a 2 year old colony that's bore a raid every couple weeks for those two years should be desensitized and emotionally dead at that point.

You never get fully desensitized ever, show me one person from actual battlefield experience that has all his or her marbles in tact. If you had to deal with one or two raiders every other week you could handle it. However seeing large body counts plays with ones head really badly. You question living if all these raiders / tribal people / colonists didn't care to live. You break down in your mind slowly, until you cease to function as a normal human being. I have a mortician friend and he tells me it still gets to him when he sees the young brought in. And he handles the dead day in day out, he's been doing that now for almost 15 years. It never gets easier he says. As for combat soldiers we all have our stories from the kamikaze to an iraqi kid charging a check point with pounds of c4 on him. Any vet can put on a show but deep down our minds were cracked.

Back on topic, the debuff is hit and miss sometimes. On one occasion a colonist would get hit with X3 and another would get a X25 even if they were together hauling the corpses. It is still buggy is all I can say.
That is why you have to assign blood lust or psychopaths to corpse removal and disposal. Create a dumping ground just for corpses off the side of your killing floor with a crematoria. Lock the door once your corpse crew are in. The debuff only works if they see the dead within two squares of view.

Attached photo is of a Kill floor that I placed in the middle of two geysers.
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.