Pleading for 154C

Started by Cassey, November 08, 2013, 01:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassey

Just one quick fix:  Slow down the effects of solar flares!

Had a wonderful little colony going.  Bang!  Solar Flare!  2 collapse.  1 went nuts and started rampaging.  1 managed to rescue a collapsed one, but was killed by the rampager.  Reloaded and reran, same thing except rescuer collapsed while gardening.

Basically end of colony due to a totally random event that I couldn't do anything about.

Restarted from the autosave and it was amusing.  Power came back, but starving members didn't get food, they went to work instead.   Plenty of supplies (1400+ food), and the dispenser was back online.

Request the effects of hunger take more than 1 day to cause folks to go nuts.  In real life, it takes about 3 days of not eating to seriously impair one's reasoning.  Just ask any Prepper.

Anyhow, if this is just a parameter change in some data table, could you do it please?

zenithar47

Just a suggestion before this gets fixed (if at all), you can have your colonists harvest the local plants during a solar flare and they will eat the raw food. I had to do this a couple times when the flare knocked out my dispensers.

Cassey

There were dozens of raw potatoes in my hydroponics room waiting to get picked up.

No clue why they were not eating.

I've gone back an auto-save and two and it always ends badly.  Managed to survive the solar flare just to have a conduit explode taking the food processor offline again.  That was the final end (not that I could have lived through the next raider event with 1 functional crew member).

zenithar47

Very strange. Could you post some screenshots of what you are talking about? It might be easier to visualize.

Cassey

Figured out part of it:  I was reworking my room structure and accidentally opened up an unused prison cell.  That made the entire area a Prison, so the staff wouldn't use the controller.  Switched the open bed and the "Need a food source" message disappeared.

Might have figured out an earlier part:  They can't find food in the dark?

Screenshot of Michael walking past a potato while starving attached.   

Thanks for making me take a harder look.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Veri

Quote from: Cassey on November 08, 2013, 01:12:07 AMIn real life, it takes about 3 days of not eating to seriously impair one's reasoning.  Just ask any Prepper.
3 days in optimal conditions. You're crashlanded on an unknown planet, that by itself already puts on enough mental strain. Add to that the fear of raider or animal attack and the constant looming fate of dying alone on an empty planet, and suddenly getting a meltdown just by being a bit hungry doesn't sound that unbelievable.

zenithar47

Quote from: Cassey on November 08, 2013, 02:35:26 AM
Figured out part of it:  I was reworking my room structure and accidentally opened up an unused prison cell.  That made the entire area a Prison, so the staff wouldn't use the controller.  Switched the open bed and the "Need a food source" message disappeared.

This would definitely make the nutrition paste dispenser unusable, good job on figuring that one out. Were they still able to eat the raw food? I know from experience that they can find food in the dark.

Galileus

Quote from: Cassey on November 08, 2013, 01:12:07 AMIn real life, it takes about 3 days of not eating to seriously impair one's reasoning.

In real life we make games so we don't have to deal with real life.

Cassey

Quote from: zenithar47 on November 09, 2013, 08:47:29 AM

This would definitely make the nutrition paste dispenser unusable, good job on figuring that one out. Were they still able to eat the raw food? I know from experience that they can find food in the dark.
[/quote]

Personally, I felt pretty stupid when I figured it out, but hopefully posting about it might prevent someone else from suffering the same embarrassment.

Unfortunately, they were NOT eating raw food - there were dozens of harvested food in my growth chamber waiting to be hauled which they ignored, starving instead.  Maybe a bug compounded by the chamber being in either a solar flare or conduit explosion induced darkness???

Cassey

Quote from: Galileus on November 09, 2013, 09:28:01 AM
Quote from: Cassey on November 08, 2013, 01:12:07 AMIn real life, it takes about 3 days of not eating to seriously impair one's reasoning.

In real life we make games so we don't have to deal with real life.

All I want in real-life is the ability to load a real-life save file... or at least a "new game" option. <smile>

Spike

Quote from: Cassey on November 09, 2013, 11:39:03 AM
Unfortunately, they were NOT eating raw food - there were dozens of harvested food in my growth chamber waiting to be hauled which they ignored, starving instead.  Maybe a bug compounded by the chamber being in either a solar flare or conduit explosion induced darkness???

Was the raw food inside what would be considered the prison area, with your accidental restructuring?

zenithar47

Quote from: Cassey on November 09, 2013, 11:39:03 AM
Personally, I felt pretty stupid when I figured it out, but hopefully posting about it might prevent someone else from suffering the same embarrassment.

I really have no idea why they would not eat the raw food. Probably is a bug, might be a good thing to bring up elsewhere, like the bugs section. Keep your save file so that you can reproduce the bug to describe it.

Cassey

Quote from: Spike on November 09, 2013, 01:21:25 PM

Was the raw food inside what would be considered the prison area, with your accidental restructuring?

Ah ha!!!  I bet that was it!  Thanks for shedding some light <is that a pun given the situation?>.

Seems kind of dramatic based on one prisoner bed being exposed by a missing wall segment.  Best watch out for this if you ever have a conduit explosion that takes out walls.

Compliments of autosave files, I eventually worked through the situation.

Cassey

Quote from: zenithar47 on November 09, 2013, 01:22:35 PM
I really have no idea why they would not eat the raw food. Probably is a bug, might be a good thing to bring up elsewhere, like the bugs section. Keep your save file so that you can reproduce the bug to describe it.

Always tough when posting to figure out if something is an enhancement request, a guideline for others, or a bug.  For instance when I posted about weapon stats it was meant to initiate player discussion and provide information.  In ended up revealing a calculation bug in the game - a most unexpected result.  My apologies.

Mattk50

When real stockpiling is implemented i assume citizens will be able to just take raw food from the stockpile and eat it, instead of starving because the nutrient paste dispenser is powerless during a flare.