Yea, but it could be worse

Started by FangoWolf, November 08, 2013, 02:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FangoWolf

Yea, life's a struggle and we all have obstacles to overcome.  I've had my share.  Born a slave on Neptarus, I was running irridium carts at age 5, by 10 I was flashclicking veins.  Worse beating I ever received was for lying about some iron ore I was smuggling back to the shelter.  It wasn't like the iron would bring any value, it was that I had lied about taking it.  I was laid up for a good week recovering, but I learned how to tell the truth very well.  There were some breaks along the way, our camp had a former techy that taught us how to read, and the foreman let us use scraps to improve our shelters.  The owner was always running on a tight margin and people were always being sold off.  I think owner cheated the military on a contract, or at least they said he did.  That's how I made my way off that slag heap, I was part of the reparations.

That was the start of my military life, course a former slave doesn't get a choice spot and it was commissar for me.  I really didn't have any ties to anyone anywhere, so I didn't have any problems "reporting" on the troops.  Most were to lazy to work the truth to get out of trouble.  If they didn't bother putting in the time to turn a proper truth, I sure didn't spare any details in my reports.  Anyway, sticking to the truth has a funny way of showing lies on others and I was good at my commissar-ating.  I was actually on the officer roll call and heading back to Altarus to receive a commission when our transport started crumbling.

Still don't know what happened to the ship, but I did make it to a pod and landed here.  Two others wound up in my sector.  Both appear to be Urbworlders.  From what I hear slaves could have it better than some of those hell holes.  Tall goofy looking guy named Huck keeps talking about the soil and how nature makes the best landscape.  Can't shave cause he's a bleeder, and can apparently eat anything.  The other one is nicer to look at.  Vida was a navy scientist and fills out that uniform in all the right ways.  Has that damn navy cut and can't picture her with real hair yet.  She spouts of Tech praises and how given enough time, resources and experimentation everything can be overcome.  She apparently would much rather be in "civilized spheres".

Well we are stuck here for at least a while, we better get to flashclicking.

Day 1
  Vida suggested we head up north near a geotherm and block off entrances to our valley.  We got the geotherm gen built thanks to Vida schematic reading and my skill with the flashclicker.  We closed off most of the entrances to the valley and at least its a calm night for roughing it.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

FangoWolf

Day 2 Hey farm boy you see who Vida snuggled up to right, ahhh.  Metal is running low and we need to finish the outer wall.  Spent most of the day breaking down the escape pods and salvaging any food stuffs to be found.  The outer wall is up and the shelter work has begun.  Another calm night one of these urbworlders is lucky.

FangoWolf

Day 3 Man I am tired, and sick of these erations.  Flashclicked all day on the shelter and tomorrow should see the shelter completed.  I have my eye on the room with the rock wall.  Huck needs to set up a garden, emergency rations have no taste. Thankfully luck has held and the nights are calm and dry, but farm boy snores and Vida readies for bed inside the sleeping mat.  You'd think the navy would have solved that modest streak. 

FangoWolf

Day 4  A lot accomplished today, the paste dispenser is up and the shelter is functional.  Metal has been scarce and I do still get flashback digging out veins.  While finishing up the garden, Huck turned in early and Vida collapsed in the closest room.  It looks like I get the rock wall after all. 

FangoWolf

Day 5 Wow its true, build a shelter and the rains will follow.  To top off the day the rain evidently rubbed a giant squirrel type animal the wrong way.  This thing had beaver teeth and went straight for my leg.  I had to pistol whip the critter, didn't want to shoot off my own leg.  I did hobble around and finished up the second garden and cleaned out the shelter.