End Forced Morality

Started by mega, December 21, 2014, 01:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mega

Hi All,

Just want to say this is a great game, but forcing players to be 'good' has to go. Please let players play the game they want to play.

For example, I cant play as an organ harvesting, cannibalistic, execute your enemies slaver. Each one of those actions carries a significant "morale" (better term is happiness) penalty. This makes all of these in game choices irrelevant.

A better approach would be to have the game adapt itself to your play style. Go around eating people... guess what, your people eventually get a hankering for a slab of Hank. So much so that if their desire for flesh is denied, they kill one of their own.

Selling people into slavery / execution / organ harvest =  relationship penalty with associated neighbour.  This leads to bigger raids from that group than would typically be expected.

Please let people play as Barney the Purple Dinosaur or Genghis Khan.

Noobshock

Agreed with the general idea. At the very least, have colonists react differently on an individual level, so the player is allowed to select the colonists he wants to "convert" based on their moral leanings, and is able to build a colony of cannibals or organ harvesters. It is indeed rather annoying that the "good" morality is forced on everyone.

Noobshock

Also on a LOL note, you are currently able to harvest organs from prisoners then release them back to their faction for the same relationship boost.

"here's your guys back, we just took a couple kidneys and lungs, can we be friends now?"

Noobshock

To elaborate on this, I envision a system where most pawns are good-leaning, a smaller share of the pie are neutral towards "evil" acts (whatever it takes to survive kind of philosophy), and an even smaller share are actual sociopaths who get a kick out of "evil" acts.

This would give the players freedom to build their colony around those, and provide an extra challenge for those who want to be selective and run a truly nasty operation.

The exact % on those categories is anyones guess. I'd say 65/30/5.

ZestyLemons

I'd love to see a little system where you colonists can just get use to your horrible acts/living conditions at the colony, akin to Dwarf Fortress's dwarf traits/personality. The whole "Urist McUrist doesn't really care about anything anymore" after they've seen a lot of terrifying stuff.

The fear system will probably be back eventually.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

mega

Quote from: Noobshock on December 21, 2014, 02:45:52 PM
To elaborate on this, I envision a system where most pawns are good-leaning, a smaller share of the pie are neutral towards "evil" acts (whatever it takes to survive kind of philosophy), and an even smaller share are actual sociopaths who get a kick out of "evil" acts.

There is a psychopath trait, but it is incredibly rare.
This would give the players freedom to build their colony around those, and provide an extra challenge for those who want to be selective and run a truly nasty operation.

The exact % on those categories is anyones guess. I'd say 65/30/5.

keylocke

yea, getting the right people with the right trait is too much hassle without EdB's prep carefully mod (or just editing the savefile.)

useful stuff like psychopath, bloodlust, cannibal, etc.. tends to be hard to come by, so players are "forced" to play the "good guy" simply coz most colonists in this game has become so mentally fragile due to negative mood stack.

----------

i'm also agreed with a revamp of the traits system to incorporate psychological coping mechanisms. (i think i've already posted a similar suggestion elaborating on it further, in one of the relationship/crime&punishment thread..)

mega

There should definitely be massive drawbacks to being a cannibal... primarily disease. There are diseases that are exclusively passed on by cannibalism.

Slightquills

The threshold for behavior modification could be a problem for people who don't wish it in their game. Why not just add an option to toggle mental effects on or off before the map even starts? It's less complicated for the programmers too.