Making children useful, in game

Started by Argon, December 21, 2014, 10:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argon

So after seeing many other (old) threads about children and pregnancy, all with convoluted explanations for how children could be sped to adulthood. Instead of being used to rapidly grow population or turbocharge the workforce, children would be used as a source of happiness in the colony, and more so for the parents.

Concepts:
-pregnancies would be one in game year
-couples would require a royal bed
-children 0 to 3 years old would be carried by the parents
-colonists aged 4 to 15 would be capped at skill level three and incapable of violence
-caesarean birth has a 99% chance of success but reduces happiness of the mother and father
-natural birth has a maximum 95% chance of success
-If the colony possesses a child of less than 4 years old a large happiness bonus is incurred
-children 4-15 years old cause a small happiness bonus
-Child's parents gain double the bonus
-death of a child results in a happiness debuff, permanent -5 for parents

Feel free to add to this potential expansion.

Comments? Questions? Flames?

-Argon

thefinn

lol this gonna create those infamous dwarf fortress massacres...

I can always remember a youtuber named Das who was recording and was all like..

"Oh"
"Oh God"
"Oh God no"

"Turn away children"

keylocke

yea. kids could be like.. "pseudo pets" to keep colonists happy or something..

also, as a "modest proposal", they can always use them as "emergency meat rations" for any unfortunate fatal accidents that could most likely occur during a playthrough. 'coz ya know.. nothing should go to waste in rimworld. :P

Argon

Quote from: keylocke on December 22, 2014, 10:31:49 AM
also, as a "modest proposal", they can always use them as "emergency meat rations" for any unfortunate fatal accidents that could most likely occur during a playthrough. 'coz ya know.. nothing should go to waste in rimworld. :P

Agreed, especially because of the new winter mechanic.
This would have to cause a massive happiness penalty.

-Argon

OmG_PotatoeZ

I think by the time they reach age 10 or so, they should be able to defend inside of their home as protection for their younger colonists.

josmow

there should also be a massive "shared room" debuff when there is a child in the same bedroom, for obvious balance reasons. or shove them all in the same room i suppose, a lack of "violence" would make it so they just wander =p

or maybe i have a skewed view on children and abusing game mechanics.... either way it would be interesting to "make" colonists
Science might be an annoying b***h, but Magic is her slutty, drug-addicted cousin. Who enjoys screwing with your head.

^ warning! may contain ponies!

Oga88

Quote from: Argon on December 21, 2014, 10:29:28 PM

-colonists aged 4 to 15 would be capped at skill level three and incapable of violence

have you played a single colony for 3 years? if yes, have you played it for 15 years?

TrashMan

Solution:
All humans who went to space have accelerated early growth.
Hence why it takes 1-2 years for a baby to reach 10 year-old status.

After that is slows down to normal...or something.

That or accelerate the time frame.
weeks instead of days
seasons instead of months

Evul

I have a smal ide:
Child is born, a cribb is made and colonists with doctor/nursing job handle the crib untill they are 3 yr. Then the crib is destroyed and a child pawn is spawned.

Argon

Quote from: Oga88 on December 23, 2014, 02:00:56 AM

have you played a single colony for 3 years? if yes, have you played it for 15 years?
As mentioned earlier, the purpose of children would be to provide a happiness boost.  Not to strengthen the workforce.  And yes I have played several 5-10 year games.

Quote from: Evul on December 23, 2014, 09:06:31 AM
I have a small idea:
Child is born, a crib is made and colonists with doctor/nursing job handle the crib untill they are 3 yr. Then the crib is destroyed and a child pawn is spawned.
Fair point, as this would allow the parents to work unencumbered, as well as preventing unnecessary child death.

Bappy1988

Concepts:
-pregnancies would be one in game year
-couples would require a royal bed
-caesarean birth has a 99% chance of success but reduces happiness of the mother and father
-natural birth has a maximum 95% chance of success
-If the colony possesses a child of less than 4 years old a large happiness bonus is incurred
-children 4-15 years old cause a small happiness bonus
-Child's parents gain double the bonus
-death of a child results in a happiness debuff, permanent -5 for parents

I think this is all legit but impractical in terms of how long a colony lasts. I've not seen all that many colonies that last beyond 1 year.
I'd suggest that reproducing should be possible, but in order for it to fit in with the rest of the game mechanics it would have to be through some buildable item like a "Genome pattern integrator" that's basically like a clone pod, it takes genetics from 2 people, you need to keep it topped up with nutrient paste for 14 days then out pops a 16-year-old with traits and appearance derived from one or both parents.

mbos14

How about adding a school system so you can teach them some skills. Max lvl 3 unles they have a passion for it then it becomes 5. Teacher falls under the research skill.

Argon

Quote from: mbos14 on December 24, 2014, 09:29:13 AM
How about adding a school system so you can teach them some skills. Max lvl 3 unles they have a passion for it then it becomes 5. Teacher falls under the research skill.
Yes, but social skill should also be a factor in teaching. Passion would raise max level to 4, and burning passion would raise max level to 5.

KDStudios

I can't imagine having a colony for 15 years.
How about pregnancy for 1 year, then just stuffing the baby into something similar to a Crypto pod (Instead it being like a growth pod(After research, perhaps needing something only traders provide)). In the pod it grows into an adolescent in 1 year and after emerging is slightly modified to mature into an adult in 1 more year. That way children seem more reasonable to have in this game through a 3 year cycle.

Perhaps the lore could be something that is used on worker colonies or times of war or something. *shrugs*

I agree with all the points in this topic, these are the only changes I would make to it really.

Geertje123

-pregnancies would be one in game year // Why not 9 months, like in real life?
-children 0 to 3 years old would be carried by the parents // Not sure if this is a good idea due to the parents not being able to carry anything else

I added some opinions on this in red.

Quote from: TrashMan on December 23, 2014, 04:38:12 AM
Solution:
All humans who went to space have accelerated early growth.
Hence why it takes 1-2 years for a baby to reach 10 year-old status.

After that is slows down to normal...or something.

Yes, this sounds good to me :)